U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 12:59 PM

6,235 posts, read 10,057,248 times

Advertisements

Have a 2013 Honda CR-V with HandsFree Bluetooth. Had Iphone 5 working just fine. Replaced the 5 with new 6. New 6 won't pair or connect.

Apple blames Honda; Honda blames Apple.

Anyone with same issue find a fix ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 01:10 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,987,720 times
Sorry, this isn't exactly answering your question and I don't/didn't have the same issue, but consider this:

Since your iPhone 6 is new, it is probably still under warrantee: it may be that particular phone, and perhaps Apple will give you a new product. The 5 worked with it, you said, and so according to circumstantial evidence, the problem is probably in the phone. I'd keep calling Apple, and ask to speak to a supervisor in the support department.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:17 PM

13,030 posts, read 15,129,239 times
Agree. How can Apple claim it's the car? What changed? You got a new phone...not a new car.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:07 AM

4,535 posts, read 7,287,877 times
The car Bluetooth might not be fully compatible with the iPhone 6 currently. Check with the Honda dealer to see if there is an update they can make to the car's Bluetooth device to enable compatibility. Might have nothing to do with the phone directly. My thought is that since the phone is newer than the car, that is the most likely explanation.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:36 AM

874 posts, read 1,654,352 times
It's a problem with the Bluetooth stack introduced with iOS 8 for Bluetooth classic. It also doesn't happen 100% of the time on iOS 8..but if a phone have the problem, it will always have it. If an iOS 8 device DOESN'T have the problem it MIGHT encounter it.

It was first reported last year. iOS 8 Causing Widespread Bluetooth Connectivity Issues in Cars - Mac Rumors subsequent iOS updates did NOT address the issue. Nor will they officially admit it's an issue with iOS 8. Apple support have no idea what the issue really is or how to solve it. When the problem first surfaced, Apple support was telling people to bring their cars back to the dealership for an update.

It's been a while since I worked on the issue, the solution involved increasing the timeout for pairing. This need to be done at the firmware/software level, so unless Honda have an update, or Apple fix this problem, it isn't going to work.

Last edited by gnomatic; 08-26-2015 at 01:46 AM..

Old 08-26-2015, 03:15 PM

Unhappy Suspicions Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
It's a problem with the Bluetooth stack introduced with iOS 8 for Bluetooth classic. It also doesn't happen 100% of the time on iOS 8..but if a phone have the problem, it will always have it. If an iOS 8 device DOESN'T have the problem it MIGHT encounter it.

It was first reported last year. iOS 8 Causing Widespread Bluetooth Connectivity Issues in Cars - Mac Rumors subsequent iOS updates did NOT address the issue. Nor will they officially admit it's an issue with iOS 8. Apple support have no idea what the issue really is or how to solve it. When the problem first surfaced, Apple support was telling people to bring their cars back to the dealership for an update.

It's been a while since I worked on the issue, the solution involved increasing the timeout for pairing. This need to be done at the firmware/software level, so unless Honda have an update, or Apple fix this problem, it isn't going to work.
I see by this Mac Rumor article and others that the issue is worse than I imagined. Not just Honda owners are fighting the same or similar problems, and Apple has turned a blind eye.

Seems like those that did find a "fix", it only worked for them, and some only partially . So it looks like I need to find my own combination of incantations, burnt offerings, and small animal sacrifice to find a fix.

Wish me luck...........

Old 08-26-2015, 04:56 PM

12,717 posts, read 12,346,180 times
Tried resetting the phone? Might be worth a shot.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:08 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,621,764 times
Since I know a lot of apple 6 owners with other vehicles that it working find on blue tooth: I'd have to s suspect its the car software. It been common for new software to correct that problems in many vehicles. Many vehicles sites have list of compatible device their bluetooth works with. Chevy had some issue but they seemed to have worked it out in newer vehicle .Kind of not having the latest drivers when buy new computer with older hardware.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:05 PM

Based on info from this and other forums, and help from my cellphone-knowledgeable son-in-law, we seem to have got it working. It seems that one or both of two issues made it work.
1. deleting all old phone pairings from the Honda.
2. disabling the "Handoff" feature on the new iPhone.

We'll see if it holds long term.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:34 AM

14,523 posts, read 7,987,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Based on info from this and other forums, and help from my cellphone-knowledgeable son-in-law, we seem to have got it working. It seems that one or both of two issues made it work.
1. deleting all old phone pairings from the Honda.
2. disabling the "Handoff" feature on the new iPhone.

We'll see if it holds long term.
This is great news! I do hope the solution is permanent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones