U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 08:47 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,729,173 times

Advertisements

I posted this in this section since Magic Jack offers an application for android and for Iphones yet the device itself is inexpensive and works great from my own personal use, so what other Voice Over Internet Protical Phones are people using and are there any out there that are as inexpensive as Magic Jack?

I know that there is Google Voice which is basically free and I have GV account that years ago I had ported one of my cellphone numbers over to but I have yet to use it to make calls, so far I only use it to forward calls to my cell phone or home phone, what would be needed to use it to make calls?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 01:13 PM

12,018 posts, read 9,671,191 times
I love my Magic Jack I've had it several years now. I don't have the newer one that you connect to the ethernet port, I have the one where the PC has to be on to use, but if it's off the call will go to voicemail and you get an email file of the voicemail so you can keep it forever. I did get the app for Android, but I don't have a smart phone I have a Galaxy player so I would need wifi to use it so I never have.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:23 PM

167 posts, read 317,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post

I know that there is Google Voice which is basically free and I have GV account that years ago I had ported one of my cellphone numbers over to but I have yet to use it to make calls, so far I only use it to forward calls to my cell phone or home phone, what would be needed to use it to make calls?
dont know what kind of phone you got
google hangouts app + hangouts dialer app will get you free calls over wifi ( USA and Canada )
just make sure you make call from the hangouts app

Old 09-02-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz View Post
dont know what kind of phone you got
google hangouts app + hangouts dialer app will get you free calls over wifi ( USA and Canada )
just make sure you make call from the hangouts app
Thanks, I have tried it but for some reason it will not come up with my Google Voice number and when I make a call, it goes to the wrong number, has me kind of confused and then on top of that, it is deducting from the money I put in there for the just in case I had to make long distance calls. I am not sure what I am doing wrong but so far I cannot get it to work on either of my androids.

Added, I finally fixed it by uninstalling the apps and reinstalling them and then updating them, now it works.

Last edited by Mr. Lee; 09-02-2015 at 03:31 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I love my Magic Jack I've had it several years now. I don't have the newer one that you connect to the ethernet port, I have the one where the PC has to be on to use, but if it's off the call will go to voicemail and you get an email file of the voicemail so you can keep it forever. I did get the app for Android, but I don't have a smart phone I have a Galaxy player so I would need wifi to use it so I never have.
I love mine too, I had the original one for both numbers, that I used and then upgraded them to the plus and that works out great for me, so I do not have to keep my computer on all the time. I am already halfway into my second 5 year renewal, so that plus the first year that was included, I am guessing that I have them both around 8 years or maybe a little longer and hope the company stays in business forever.

It was funny, years ago when they came out, I really wanted badly to buy stock in the company and it was not available at that time, then sometime years later the stock was selling up in the high $20's and I felt it was out of my price range to buy a lot of shares but recently it dropped down to where I became tempted to buy some shares and I did just because I feel it is a great idea and works great especially for me, since we live part of the year outside the US, thus we have the same phone numbers when we are there or wherever we are on vacation as long as I can get wifi.

Hopefully I will get my google voice number working too one day and then maybe I will drop one Magic Jack but always keep the main one.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:24 PM

602 posts, read 610,467 times
I have an Ooma device. After the initial cost of the device, I only pay applicable taxes each month (about $3.85/mo). I like Ooma, since I do have an option for more services and features if I choose to for the additional price of $10/mo. It also has a one time fee of $10 to transport your existing phone number, if you wish.

The only gripe I have about VOIP lines, is that you are stuck without a house phone if the power goes out. With my unfortunate situation of having to rely on a Verizon network extender for cell phone service, then I also lose the use of my cell phone (unless I walk a couple blocks away).

Old 09-02-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
I have an Ooma device. After the initial cost of the device, I only pay applicable taxes each month (about $3.85/mo). I like Ooma, since I do have an option for more services and features if I choose to for the additional price of $10/mo. It also has a one time fee of $10 to transport your existing phone number, if you wish.

The only gripe I have about VOIP lines, is that you are stuck without a house phone if the power goes out. With my unfortunate situation of having to rely on a Verizon network extender for cell phone service, then I also lose the use of my cell phone (unless I walk a couple blocks away).
Put your modem, router, voip box and phone on a UPS that is what I have done and unless the internet goes out somewhere along the line, I still have a phone and internet.

What I hate about all VOIP services is that twice in the last couple of years I really needed to have my phone working and Comcast went out at the worst possible time, once was when a furniture delivery was coming and they could not get in touch with me, luckily Comcast came back online just in time for me to call them back and the other time was when I was waiting for an important calls, luckily I had also give them my cell phone number, so they called on that.

There is no perfect way with phones, we just have to do our best and that is why we have more than one way of making calls, my wife cell is T-Mobile and mine is AT&T and then the two Magic Jacks and a Google Voice number which I finally just got to work on both of my cellphones by uninstalling the app and reinstalling it and then it needed to be updated before it would work.

Google Voice is free if used via a cell phone app and while on wifi.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:20 PM

2,422 posts, read 1,368,027 times
Over the past few years I've tried Magic Jack (given as a gift), then Magic Jack Plus, and now Ooma Telo that I've had for one year this month. By far Ooma has been the best, even has better sound quality than I had with my AT&T U-verse voice service.

Magic Jack was so bad I returned it. Magic Jack Plus was just as bad for me, so when I thought about getting Ooma I didn't hold out much hope it'd be better. I did research on voip and read different products reviews, and also tested my internet quality to make sure that wouldn't be a problem. Was surprised Ooma sound quality was so good.

I had only been getting 250 minutes/month with AT&T U-verse for $23.93 per month. With Ooma I get up to 5000 minutes for $3.85/month. Only problems I've had was once someone said they called and it wouldn't put the call through to me so they called back and it went through fine, and twice when I called someone there was a problem with the quality so we hung up and when I called back it was clear. So no major issues in the one year I've had it.

Also bought a Tracfone for backup in case power goes out, and for when I'm away from home. I get triple minutes so end up with 180 minutes when I buy a 60 minute card with 90 service days, plus I always use a bonus code to get either an extra 30 or 60 minutes depending on the code. That ends up being $21.83 every 90 days.

From what I remember the Ooma telo was on sale for $99.99 when I bought it on Amazon a year ago.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:03 PM

602 posts, read 610,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Put your modem, router, voip box and phone on a UPS that is what I have done and unless the internet goes out somewhere along the line, I still have a phone and internet.

What I hate about all VOIP services is that twice in the last couple of years I really needed to have my phone working and Comcast went out at the worst possible time, once was when a furniture delivery was coming and they could not get in touch with me, luckily Comcast came back online just in time for me to call them back and the other time was when I was waiting for an important calls, luckily I had also give them my cell phone number, so they called on that.
Yes, I've been considering getting UPS, and I know I should. A few days ago, my power went out for most of the day. However, so far, Comcast is far more likely to cut out, unfortunately.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:36 AM

10,685 posts, read 11,542,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
Yes, I've been considering getting UPS, and I know I should. A few days ago, my power went out for most of the day. However, so far, Comcast is far more likely to cut out, unfortunately.
As you said, you lose Comcast when you lose power, but sometimes you lose Comcast without losing power. Either way a UPS is not the most cost efficient backup. There are any number of cellular "pay as you go" backup plans that should cover you as long as your cell phone is constantly charged.

Ringplus, is a Sprint MVNO which gives you 250 minutes of talk and 500 texts per month for providing a credit card and a $5 balance (which covers overages at 2 cents per minute or text).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones