U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 04:42 PM

37,227 posts, read 64,627,649 times

Advertisements

Whenever I manage to drop one on the driveway or in the toilet or run it through the laundry.
It usually is a randomly timed event.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 07:27 PM

9,305 posts, read 10,429,362 times
Our iPhones, about every two years or less. The new ones simply have better call quality than a two year old phone. Not to mention camera improvements and computer performance. Since we don't waste money on a big house, buying the latest fashions or a new car every three years, we can "waste money" where it matters to us. Phones are one such area.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:33 PM

3,252 posts, read 1,704,406 times
Since 2007 Ive had 10 phones. I didnt pay much for them, one was free from Verizon, two were my wifes old phone, the others I got from Craigslist or Ebay for 10 to 45 dollars. These were several feature phones, a Blackberry, and 3 Androids. Meanwhile my wife had the LG Dare, Env 3, Iphone 4, 5 and 6, and a Droid Razr.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:06 AM

2,760 posts, read 2,996,015 times
I have a tendency to wait till my phone brakes to get a new one.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:48 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I have 2 max at a time. I buy the newest ones that come out, sell, and repeat. I'm a bit of a tech geek.
Ok tech geek.. What is your opinion of the LG 4, Note 4 and Samsung Galaxy 6(?) maybe 5. Looking to replace a note 3 soon. (assuming you may or may not have used the above phones)

Old 09-07-2015, 03:52 PM

12,717 posts, read 12,428,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
Ok tech geek.. What is your opinion of the LG 4, Note 4 and Samsung Galaxy 6(?) maybe 5. Looking to replace a note 3 soon. (assuming you may or may not have used the above phones)
Lucky for you I've owned an used them all extensively.

LG G4 - Great snappy phone. Has removable battery and can take SD Cards. Above average camera. LG software isn't horrible.

Note 4 - Very nice phone. Good camera and excellent screen. Has removable battery and can take SD cards. I don't like samsung software but that's just me.

Galaxy S6 - Great phone with an amazing screen and amazing camera (best in the industry for both IMO, equal on Note 5 and S6 Edge+) Software and battery life are the negatives.

Is a removable / changeable battery and SD card important to you? If so, eliminate the Galaxy S6. It has sealed battery and no additional storage.

Then it comes down to preference on software and look/build of the phone. I personally prefer the G4 over the Note 4 but I rarely use a stylus. If you love a stylus get the Note 4. However, if you don't need a changeable battery and sd card support i'd recommend the note 5 if you can swing it. The screen is gorgeous, well the phone in general is gorgeous.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:42 PM

Don't lithium ion batteries get weaker after about a year? So that is the drawback for the note 5?? Kinda why I was leaning towards the Note 4..changeable battery. Also do bumper cases for Note 3 fit the 4 or are buttons slightly in a different location?

Last edited by goodgal; 09-07-2015 at 06:09 PM..

Old 09-08-2015, 08:15 AM

10,814 posts, read 19,184,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I have a tendency to wait till my phone brakes to get a new one.
Your phone has brakes? must be a big sucker if you can't stop it on your own...

I replace mine as little as possible, the Nexus 4 I bought 2 years ago is still going strong, will keep it till it dies.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:21 AM

12,717 posts, read 12,428,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
Don't lithium ion batteries get weaker after about a year? So that is the drawback for the note 5?? Kinda why I was leaning towards the Note 4..changeable battery. Also do bumper cases for Note 3 fit the 4 or are buttons slightly in a different location?
All batteries lose some power over the years. I have a 5 year old iPhone that still holds a charge decently. I'd say if you replace your phone every 2 years then you would be fine without having a replaceable battery.

The note 4 case will note fit a note 4, they are designed differently.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
All batteries lose some power over the years. I have a 5 year old iPhone that still holds a charge decently. I'd say if you replace your phone every 2 years then you would be fine without having a replaceable battery.

The note 4 case will note fit a note 4, they are designed differently.
so the bumper case will not fit the note 4 from the note 3? Are the buttons in different places? Not really a case more like a rubber bumper that goes around the outer edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones