U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 10:48 PM

930 posts, read 675,555 times

Advertisements

I have owned about 4 phones, my dad is in the business so I get "samples". But usually I use it until it expires which is about 2 years. I try not to jump on to fads and trends.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 05:18 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,747,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
I have owned about 4 phones, my dad is in the business so I get "samples". But usually I use it until it expires which is about 2 years. I try not to jump on to fads and trends.
Expires??????
I have used phones for as many years as I felt like using them and as long as they still worked. My last phone was a Blackberry that I used for at least 10 years. The current phone I have is over 2 years old and I will probably have it another 10 years, as there is no reason to change phones since batteries can be bought online in places such as ebay very inexpensively, and as long as a phone is not dropped where it hits hard on a solid floor, the phone should last for many years. I keep my phones in gel cases to protect them. My wife still has and uses as a second phone for when we are in the Philippines, where we need more than one carrier for the families and friends savings, a Samsung phone that I bought her about 6 years ago and as he main current phone, she has the same model that I have but I bought hers a year before I bought mine, so hers is about 3 years old and we have no intent on changing it anytime soon.

Usually phones can last many years, only the batteries need to be changed, thus why I use android over Iphone but even Iphone batteries can be changed by an experienced person or the Apple store.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,366 posts, read 62,506,859 times
I upgrade mine every two years when the contract expires, and I can get a new, better one free or cheap. The most I have paid was $49, the current one (Droid Ultra) was free. I'm looking forward to the upgrade next spring, the battery is now draining a lot faster than when I first got it.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:10 AM

34,958 posts, read 19,010,586 times
About two years barring major issues namely battery life.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:40 AM

602 posts, read 613,488 times
Sometimes it seems certain new smartphones tend to disintegrate after about a year and a half. After having a couple Motorola type phones with a built-in, non-removable battery, I will now only buy a phone with one that can have the battery replaced. And, I've always kept my phones in sturdy cases, and I never drop my phone. I guess, my point is: do your research on phone quality and longevity before you decide, as well.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:47 AM

8,794 posts, read 6,564,360 times
My last blackberry (storm) lasted 8 years. I just replaced it a couple months ago with a new blackberry (storm2). I Hope to keep the S2 for another 8 years. It was a great deal for a new phone/no contract at $50.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:15 PM

5,720 posts, read 5,951,650 times
The phone in my basement is the one that was installed on the kitchen wall of my parents' house when they bought it in 1952. The handset is made of bakelite and is, as a friend of mine described it, "heavy enough to kill somebody with". It has never malfunctioned, the only repair it has ever needed was replacement of the coiled cord between base and handset. It sounds better than any other phone in the house.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:06 PM

12,720 posts, read 12,459,458 times
I go through about a dozen per year.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:12 PM

4,960 posts, read 4,708,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I go through about a dozen per year.
Wow, what kind of illegal business you in, since you need so many burner phones?!?

Old 09-03-2015, 03:26 PM

12,720 posts, read 12,459,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Wow, what kind of illegal business you in, since you need so many burner phones?!?
I have 2 max at a time. I buy the newest ones that come out, sell, and repeat. I'm a bit of a tech geek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones