U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 07:47 PM

4,865 posts, read 6,921,547 times

Advertisements

I have a Galaxy Note 4 and I would like to switch carriers from Verizon to Straight Talk. How do I do that?
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 12:40 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,986,102 times
I think you'd need to have paid for the device in full.
Plus, I'm guessing Verizon still ties you into a contract. Is this true in your case?

Old 09-13-2015, 01:36 PM

6,230 posts, read 10,048,773 times
Looks like you can start here
https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/por...rierselection/
to see if your phone can be transferred.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:24 PM

1,395 posts, read 4,707,474 times
You'll need to get your phone unlocked.

I'm sure the link the pp shared will have more specific information.

I just want to warn you that them telling you that for $45 a month you'll get unlimited, text, talk & data is a bit misleading. They will throttle the speed and even turn off your data. I worked in the Electronics Dept. at Walmart for awhile & we had a very upset customer whose data got turned off for using it too much. He was streaming a lot of videos and they turned it off!

You should read the terms of service. It's pretty interesting and super nuts.

Be careful and go into this with your eyes wide open!

Old 09-14-2015, 06:29 PM

4,865 posts, read 6,921,547 times
Thanks for the posts.

I am not under a contract with Verizon. They sent me an email saying I could reduce my bill up to $30 a month. I call a Verizon rep and was told I would save between $25 and $30. The bill came in and it was $13 less. It helps but it wasn't what they promised.

I went to Walmart and they have a "bring your own phone" kit for about $60. Once switched over the cost is $45 a month.
Anyone tried this yet?

When I got my Verizon phone I needed data because no internet carrier were available for my location. Recently I moved and have Comcast at home. MY phone data use almost went to zero so I would do just fine with $45 to Straight Talk.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:07 PM

10,685 posts, read 11,542,511 times
Straight Talk is Tracfone's most popular division, and it is a good plan. But another division of the corporation called TelcelAmerica offers a lot more for only $9 more.

$54 with Auto-Refill 10GB 4G LTE† then 2G on VERIZON network
UNLIMITED Talk and Text • UNLIMITED** Calls to international land lines
UNLIMITED** Calls to mobile numbers in Mexico, Canada, China and India

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Recently I moved and have Comcast at home. MY phone data use almost went to zero so I would do just fine with $45 to Straight Talk.
If you are really not using any data, then you may well ask why you should pay $9 for another 5 GB. It's a fair question, but if there is any chance you are going to have data intensive months or start making international calls, this plan is a superb value for the extra 20%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones