Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 04:30 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times

Advertisements

I recently got a metropcs phone with a $30 plan. I mostly needed it just for GPS and didn't intend to use the data much. But my landlord stopped paying the Wi-Fi bill and i have to switch to be $60 a month unlimited data plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 05:19 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
The cheapest thng would be to get your own wifi. MetroPcs gives you the first 6GB of tethering at up to 4G LTE speeds, and only unlimited at very slow speeds.

If for some reason you can't get wired ISP, then try
HughesNet Plans and Pricing, High Speed Rural Satellite Internet | HughesNet Gen4

There is no magic one to one comparison between the cost of 1 GB of data on wifi vs 1 GB on cellular because they don't normally sell wifi by the gigabyte. But one estimate is cell data is 40X the cost of wifi data.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:01 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
$30/month can get you regular, not cellular, internet service.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:44 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
$150 for two iPhone 6S 64GB with 10 GB data each. It's $100 without the phones. I'm on T Mobile.

MetroPCS's unlimited data is not, in fact, unlimited high speed data. That may be a problem if you're using it as your only connection.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:46 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Sim only £23 on 3

Unlimited everything.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:35 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,535 times
Mine is free for the forseeable future. Maybe for the next couple of years.

I have a Tracfone Andoid phone. This is a pay as you go phone and you can buy minutes and add it to the phone and it never expires as long as you have service days available. Last year I found some 1/2 price sales on minutes and stocked up and have thousands. I only use about 100 per month. My service days are out til 2037 due to some glitches (or perks) in the system.

This phone runs on Verizon towers so I get good service. Tracfone also has At&T service with GSM phones.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:00 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
Default How Much Do I Pay Monthly for My Smartphone Plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
Mine is free for the forseeable future. Maybe for the next couple of years.

I have a Tracfone Andoid phone. This is a pay as you go phone and you can buy minutes and add it to the phone and it never expires as long as you have service days available. Last year I found some 1/2 price sales on minutes and stocked up and have thousands. I only use about 100 per month. My service days are out til 2037 due to some glitches (or perks) in the system.

This phone runs on Verizon towers so I get good service. Tracfone also has At&T service with GSM phones.
But how are they on Customer Service? The last time I had Tracfone (admittedly years ago...) Customer Service were in India or China, and they were not understandable, at all. They had no idea of how things work in the USA, as far as I could tell. There was constant trouble with purchasing more minutes, and I had to endure long on-hold waiting times for a live person, whom I could not understand because of heavy Asian accent. Usually the first person could not resolve the issue, and I had to wait even longer for a supervisor.

But perhaps this part is better now? For all the $$ spent, I'd much rather be speaking with someone whom I could understand. That's a big reason I went with the Consumer Cellular, who have one of the most consistent highest ratings of customer service.

To answer the OP's question: I spend about $20.00 a month for all the calls, texting, and data needed. My provider is Consumer Cellular. And I have an unlocked iPhone5 which I brought to the plan.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:12 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,158,829 times
140 dollars, Verizon unlimited data.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:57 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
$150 for two iPhone 6S 64GB with 10 GB data each. It's $100 without the phones. I'm on T Mobile.

MetroPCS's unlimited data is not, in fact, unlimited high speed data. That may be a problem if you're using it as your only connection.
The unlimited 4G $60 plan I believe is 60 gigabytes which should be fine to get me through the month. All their plans are unlimited with the throttle down the speed with the $60 plan does not unless you go over the 60 gig limit

Old 10-26-2015, 05:38 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
The unlimited 4G $60 plan I believe is 60 gigabytes which should be fine to get me through the month. All their plans are unlimited with the throttle down the speed with the $60 plan does not unless you go over the 60 gig limit
Don't count on that 60 GB.

It's clear from their Network-Disclosure page that 23 GB is the throttle point if you are on a heavy use tower. On top of that, T-Mobile branded plans have a higher priority on the network than Metro PCS plans do, so you potentially will get throttled on certain towers if there is a lot of demand from T-Mobile customers.

You can also only use 6 GB of that off of the phone (tethered).

Also make sure you are in a solid T-Mobile service area, as you get very little roaming data (200 MB or less per month on the T-Mobile branded plans).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones