U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 10:35 PM

8,279 posts, read 23,396,574 times

Advertisements

As the resident BlackBerry addict, I don't hang out in this forum often. However, I though I post this as I have yet to see any mention of it.

This phone was first rumored begging back in Feb. 2014 and shown off once again very briefly at Mobile World Congress 2015. Many thought it would be a BB10 device but rumors from as early as Feb. 2014 commented on it it being Android. It marks BlackBerry's departure, for the most part, from doing their own brand of OS and hardware by diving into Android. I have been a BB fanboy since the days of the Pearl and I love my Z30 for sure, so I am up in the air over this one. It's Android, but BlackBerry, but Android, but...

This is old news for me and there is another cite where you can get more conversation, but it is likely considered a competitor site so I post a link. Some on here have already heard of it and as they say, pun intended, perhaps, Google that schniz.

Steep price even for a flagship, some say BBs last stand, but doesn't matter as BlackBerry is now focused on security (as always), enterprise, auto OS, and IoT. Essentially, they have become a software company now but CEO John Chen understands that smartphones are the line of mobile security.

This phone claims to be the most secure and private Android device. Of course their is the BlackPhone 2 and Samsung's Knox, but no one in the Android community is doing what BlackBerry is doing for sure.

I am not pimping this phone, and I am not sure how I feel about it. I wish BlackBerry the company success but I have never been a fan of Android myself even after owning three Android handsets. Many in community want BB10, not Android, but what can we do? If I stick with my Z30 the best I can expect for 2016 are two security updates and those are for government/enterprise certifications, anyways.

This phone launches today, so check it out:

BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility, BBM, Smartphones & Support - US

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-priv-review

BlackBerry Priv Review: BlackBerry May Win You Back With Android - WSJ

And, many, many, more links...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 07:16 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,614,243 times
I think most people have been weaned off of a physical keyboard, though it took time.
Is BlackBerry mostly for government agencies and high level business people (security conscious)?
What would the average consumer get from a BlackBerry? I guess you would have a conversation piece.
How is the tactile feel? Does it feel like "quality"?

Old 11-06-2015, 07:40 AM

13,160 posts, read 15,255,751 times
I think it's brilliant and I wish them luck.
I also believe, however, TOTAL FAILURE by being an ATT exclusive. This should be available to everyone if you really want to become relevant again, Blackberry.

To say no one wants a physical keyboard anymore is truly not understanding the market. A lot of people want one. Do a Google Search for DROID 5 KEYBOARD. People dying to see Moto make another phone with a keyboard.
O wait:
https://www.change.org/p/motorola-gi...-android-phone

Old 11-06-2015, 09:34 AM

14,117 posts, read 21,854,135 times
I'm very interested' but I don't need a phone right now.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:37 AM

12,720 posts, read 12,484,795 times
I'd day they are about 3-5 years too late, the phone is overpriced for a company making a last ditch effort, and making it an att exclusive is a bad decision

Old 11-06-2015, 07:30 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'd day they are about 3-5 years too late, the phone is overpriced for a company making a last ditch effort, and making it an att exclusive is a bad decision
This.

Too expensive - hurts sales
Carrier exclusive - hurts sales

It looks like a nice device but it's really nothing more than an Android phone with a keyboard. It's going to suffer from all the same stability/performance/security problems that every other Android device has. And we have the CEO being publicly uncommitted to the platform, suggesting it's likely to turn into just another piece of abandoned hardware that doesn't get updates.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:24 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,614,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I think it's brilliant and I wish them luck.
I also believe, however, TOTAL FAILURE by being an ATT exclusive. This should be available to everyone if you really want to become relevant again, Blackberry.

To say no one wants a physical keyboard anymore is truly not understanding the market. A lot of people want one. Do a Google Search for DROID 5 KEYBOARD. People dying to see Moto make another phone with a keyboard.
O wait:
https://www.change.org/p/motorola-gi...-android-phone
Remember the iphone was AT&T exclusive, look at them now. The iphone helped wean people off physical keyboards. What percentage of phones actually have them anymore? Very very low I bet

Old 11-08-2015, 09:29 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
Remember the iphone was AT&T exclusive, look at them now. The iphone helped wean people off physical keyboards. What percentage of phones actually have them anymore? Very very low I bet
Blackberry is not Apple and the Priv is not an iPhone.

The iPhone was a rather game changing device at the time that largely created the consumer smartphone market. The Priv is just another Android phone except it happens to have a keyboard, which is something people clearly don't care that much about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones