Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 04:54 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,290,344 times

Advertisements

About a month ago I bought an LG 450 flip-phone and started using Solavei. The phone was a T-Mobile phone, which is fine for solavei and didn't need to be unlocked.

But now. . .

Solavei is ending service and sent out a notice to users to change carriers by 12/4. I would like to switch to Consumer Cellular. The CC guy on the phone told me that sometimes users can just put the SIM card into a T-Mobile phone without needing to unlock it. I went to Target, bought a SIM, put it in, and got the message that I need to unlock the phone.

I called Solavei, and the recording says to call during regular hours. My call was during regular hours, so it may be that they are just not answering the phone any more.

I called T-Mobile, and they say they "can't" unlock my phone unless I have an active account with them for at least 15 days and have given them at least $100.

I see a website that claims to have unlock codes. Is this a bad idea? Are there reputable sites that do this, or is it likely to be shady?

I could just sign up for T-Mobile. They are offering a good deal for Solavei users, provided that I stay with them until June. However, after signing up for Solavei, which uses T-Mobile towers, I discovered that I rarely get a signal at home. It would be nice to have a phone that works at home. Also, I am not happy with T-Mobile because of the "unlocking" thing, and would prefer not to give them business.

Suggestions? Try the website? "Get over it" and use T-Mobile, even though it doesn't work at home? Smash the phone and start over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 06:44 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
Flip Phone? With all due respect, just recycle the phone, eat the $50 and start over. Unless trying to recover $50 is a hobby of yours it is not worth the effort. Lesson learned. Go with the major players next time.

They were a startup that failed. Find what works at your house and be willing to pay $10 more a month.

Sorry for your frustration.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:46 PM

I like the phone, and it bugs me that T-Mobile is refusing to let Solavei users take their phones elsewhere. I hope most Solavei orphans go elsewhere.

Yeah, I'll probably go to Target tomorrow and get a phone that will work with Consumer Cellular. First I'll try calling Solavei again. Maybe they've only quit answering on Sundays.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:34 PM

6,472 posts, read 10,341,133 times
Solavei has to unlock it, T-mobile can't do it for you. T-mobile can port the phone # for you, but the phone will need to be unlocked or replaced with a T-mobile handset to complete the process. Sorry it isn't easier, but nothing too unusual.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:06 PM

It is a T-Mobile phone, made for T-mobile use. The last thing I see when I turn it off is a T-Mobile screen. I was able to use it with Solavei because of the agreement they had. Now that Solavei and T-Mobile can't come to an agreement, Solavei is going out of business and T-Mobile is preventing Solavei users from using their phones anywhere but T-Mobile.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:20 AM

6,472 posts, read 10,341,133 times
I guess that T-Mobile would rather force you to buy a new phone from them than allow you to use your current device.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:48 AM

T-Mobile will let me use my current device - if I get T-Mobile service (which doesn't work well here). I don't want T-Mobile; I am going to use a different company.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:54 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Unfortunately the rules are the rules. They probably sold you the phone at a reduced rate in exchange for being on service with them (tmobile or their MVNOs) for a set amount of time (6 months as you said). They will of course let this policy slide if you pay them ($100 you said) which is probably the amount you saved when originally purchasing the phone.

Do what someone else said and trash the phone, go to a new carrier, and get a new phone. You should be able to be get something similar for very little money or free.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
They probably sold you the phone at a reduced rate in exchange for being on service with them (tmobile or their MVNOs) for a set amount of time (6 months as you said). They will of course let this policy slide if you pay them ($100 you said) which is probably the amount you saved when originally purchasing the phone.
Nope. I bought the phone, full price, online, and I have never been a T-Mobile customer. I'm not trying to get a free phone. I'm just annoyed that the phone I bought a month ago is now unusable. This six-month thing is being pushed on Solavei customers; it is not something I signed up for.

Today I bought a new phone to use with a different provider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones