Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 06:19 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,967 times

Advertisements

I'm really trying to figure out the best way to eliminate my cell phone bill.

Currently I have an ASUS Zenphone and most of the day I am connected to Wifi. My thinking is that I don't talk on the phone very much and most texting could probably be done through Facebook, Google Hangouts or one of those texting apps.

Randomly came across an HSN deal that sets you up with Tracphone with an LG phone, activation and 1350 minutes for data, talk, text. Since my Zenphone is way better than whatever LG Tracphone has, I'm thinking the Tracphone could just be used for when I DO want to make a call.

Does anyone have feedback on Tracphone or any thoughts about cons to switching to one of these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 07:12 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
If it's about saving money, drop the landline. We did and saved $550* a year. You do realize that there is no such thing as long distance charges with a cell and no playing phone tag.

*Only $550 as we did all of our nonlocal calls on our cells. would be $2000 -$3000plus if we only used the landline for all calls.

The day when a cell phone was a luxury and an extra ended a long time ago.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If it's about saving money, drop the landline. We did and saved $550* a year. You do realize that there is no such thing as long distance charges with a cell and no playing phone tag.

*Only $550 as we did all of our nonlocal calls on our cells. would be $2000 -$3000plus if we only used the landline for all calls.

The day when a cell phone was a luxury and an extra ended a long time ago.
I don't have a landline at all. Just looking at switching from T-mobile to Tracphone.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:40 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,775 times
I completely dropped my phone service a few months ago. No more cell phone bill! And guess what? As long as connected to wifi, The smart phone still has all the functionality it had before except for talking & texting. Need to talk to someone? Have an email conversation! Or facebook or google or whatever. Simple. And it's free

Old 12-13-2015, 07:43 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
This makes no sense, if you have a TracPhone you still have a cell phone bill.
The only way to not have a cell phone bill is to not have a cell phone of any type.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:53 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
If you want cheap talk, stay with your T-Mobile, switch to prepay $3 a month for 30 minutes, 10 cents each additional minute.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This makes no sense, if you have a TracPhone you still have a cell phone bill.
The only way to not have a cell phone bill is to not have a cell phone of any type.
Not a $70/mo cell phone bill. I believe Tracphones will stay active for months at a time as long as you are keeping minutes on it . If I understand it correctly.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:18 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
If you are on wifi you can talk and text domestically for free using Google Voice with Google Hangouts Dialer. If you really want no cellular bill you have to find wifi for free (which is available usually one place in every mall or shopping center).

Usually, you want cell service (beyond 911) if only for a limited time, so you have to go to higher than free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
Not a $70/mo cell phone bill. I believe Tracphones will stay active for months at a time as long as you are keeping minutes on it . If I understand it correctly.
One of the cheapest plans on Tracfone is $20 for 90 days which only gives you 60 minutes. Then you purchase texts in bundles of 1000 for $10 (penny per text). You don't have to use the texts in 90 days as you long as you renew the phone for $20 for the next 90 days. So that is $80 for a year for 4 hours of talk.

Sometimes when you are renewing online, there are options to get 365 days extended time (no minutes) for $50. Then you still have to buy $10 cards to get 1000 texts.

To some people that is sufficient. They text on the road, and tell people that they will talk once they reach wifi and can use Google Voice. But at least they are not completely out of communication when not near wifi.

Tracfone has so many options that it is difficult to explain.
========================
Tmobile's Pay as you go plan is $3/month ($9 for 90 day) and you get Get any combination of 30 minutes of talk or 30 texts per month. Additional talk and text at a low flat rate of 10 cents per minute/message (sending and receiving). So if you barely talk or text, this plan could be cheaper than Tracfone. But Tracfone's penny per text will beat T-mobiles dime per text pretty quickly if you use it enough.

There are several companies that give free minutes and texts, but only on the Sprint network. You must buy a Sprint phone as your T-mobile phone will not work.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 12-13-2015 at 10:35 PM..

Old 12-14-2015, 05:43 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I completely dropped my phone service a few months ago. No more cell phone bill! And guess what? As long as connected to wifi, The smart phone still has all the functionality it had before except for talking & texting. Need to talk to someone? Have an email conversation! Or facebook or google or whatever. Simple. And it's free
You can also do free talking and texting as long as connected to wifi. Just download Google Voice and Google Hangouts.

If you have an Android phone that is Verizon compatible you can buy the rock bottom Pay as You Go plan from Page Plus Cellular for $10 for 120 days that will give you cellular phone calls for 10 cents a minute and texts for 5 cents apiece. This will give you some back up communication when you can't get near wi-fi.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:30 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
ever try to call AAA for road service using wifi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones