Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 09:56 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I believe one day technology will wipe out all intelligent life on this planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V2KvY-G0jY

Isaac Asmov's short story "A feeling of Power" was written in 1958 (before youtube), and tells of a man who reconnects with the techniques of doing multiplication without a machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 10:08 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,600,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post

Isaac Asmov's short story "A feeling of Power" was written in 1958 (before youtube), and tells of a man who reconnects with the techniques of doing multiplication without a machine.
I learnt that in junior school back in the 50s, stayed with me my entire life.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:32 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
You technophiles can laugh at the OP all you want.
I tend to agree with him.
My cell phone makes and receives phone calls, period. Oh, yes, it has a camera, and it will text, and it accepts voice mail. Those features are seldom used.
I have an e-book that has some 248 books on it. It is nice, but it really contributes little to my quality of life.
I have a tablet that my son gave me. It is also an e-reader. I have no idea what else it does, and I'm not greatly interested in finding out.
I am an Amateur Radio operator. I have no idea what the capabilities of my radios are. I use them for basic communications. All the rest of the gimmicks that the manufacturer built in are so much useless junk, and contribute nothing to my enjoyment of the hobby. Actually, my favorite transceiver is the Yaesu FT-101ZD. Yes, tuning the transmitter takes a couple of minutes, but once it is tuned it does exactly the same thing the $1000 transceiver sitting beside it does, without all the unused bells and whistles that the modern one has!
IMO, we have allowed technology to run away with us!

Old 01-21-2016, 11:22 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Oh, yes, it has a camera, and it will text, and it accepts voice mail. Those features are seldom used.
I can't see how in the world you can say texts and cameras are seldom used on cell phones. These are two of the biggest reasons people own cell phones. Using the internet in general would be tops as well. The features may be seldom used by you but billions are using them daily.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:54 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Quote:
Oh, yes, it has a camera, and it will text... Those features are seldom used.
Some people I know use the camera and texting 4/5ths of the time they're touching their handheld computers. For some people, making or taking phone calls is fairly rare.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:33 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
My cell phone makes and receives phone calls, period. Oh, yes, it has a camera, and it will text, and it accepts voice mail. Those features are seldom used.
I have an e-book that has some 248 books on it. It is nice, but it really contributes little to my quality of life.
I have a tablet that my son gave me. It is also an e-reader. I have no idea what else it does, and I'm not greatly interested in finding out.
I am an Amateur Radio operator. I have no idea what the capabilities of my radios are. I use them for basic communications. All the rest of the gimmicks that the manufacturer built in are so much useless junk, and contribute nothing to my enjoyment of the hobby. Actually, my favorite transceiver is the Yaesu FT-101ZD. Yes, tuning the transmitter takes a couple of minutes, but once it is tuned it does exactly the same thing the $1000 transceiver sitting beside it does, without all the unused bells and whistles that the modern one has!
Funny. I use my iPhone for basic communication and it fits in my pocket!

When I travel, I no longer bring the following items: laptop, books, GPS or maps, flashlight, camera. Don't need to as my phone does all of that, and more! To call 70% of North Americans Technophiles, because we own and use the features of our smartphones is incorrect. To bad you have no interest in finding out what your tablet can do. Basically it will replace your desktop computer. You can even post on C-D with it!

And for your information, I am 66.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I can't see how in the world you can say texts and cameras are seldom used on cell phones. These are two of the biggest reasons people own cell phones. Using the internet in general would be tops as well. The features may be seldom used by you but billions are using them daily.
FOR ME, they are rarely used.
My post was not, in any way, intended to tell anyone else what to do, or a description of what others may or may not do. It was merely a description of what I do, no more, no less.
If you read more than that into what I wrote, it is YOUR problem, not mine!
In case anyone cares, I am 74.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:10 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
There are people like OP and you.... and there is the rest of us who enjoy all the bells and whistles.
You are simply not interested, and not curious. You are quick to judge, fear and even hate the unknown.
We are OK with that

Old 01-21-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
There are people like OP and you.... and there is the rest of us who enjoy all the bells and whistles.
You are simply not interested, and not curious. You are quick to judge, fear and even hate the unknown.
We are OK with that
WOW!!!
The armchair Dr. Phil has spoken!
"judge, fear, and hate"
Oh, thank you, thank you!
I didn't know I was so extremely messed up.
You made that diagnosis just from a couple of posts on an internet forum!
Oh, well done, ma'am.
Even the real Dr. Phil couldn't have done better!

Now, if you could just STOP "reading between the lines" you would be much better off, and possibly a better Moderator!

Old 01-21-2016, 07:46 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
When I post as a Moderator - I post in red
Otherwise I am just a regular member like everyone else. But I agree... It came out a bit too harsh...
My apologies! It was unintended and tongue in cheek... (a whimsical exaggeration)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones