U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 06:28 PM

1,450 posts, read 994,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
These damn computer geeks keep coming up with new, ever more complicated ones that I need to learn to use. STOP!!!!! It ain't broke, GEEK. Don't fix it. Nail their hands to the desk. Stop "improving" everything! Leave it be! It's fine the way it is!

I am 56 years old and I wish I was back in the day of the typewriter. Then, they were not introducing "upgrades" every five milli seconds that I have to spend time out from doing what I do to learn. It's like some kind of perverted arms race.
Well, just because I don't keep up to them does not mean everyone else should do the same. There is a time when you have to let go and let the younger generation lead the way. You are still young, in twenty years, you will understand, or be a reactionary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 07:13 AM

13,206 posts, read 15,289,458 times
On a flight last weekend, I sat next to a pleasant older woman... had to be at least 65 I would guess early 70's. She was wearing "modern clothes" a really nice pair of jeans that any modern 35 year old woman would wear...not typical grandma clothes. She was playing gin on her Android Smartphone for much of the flight.
"I just love my Android phone" she told me at one point. I immediately thought of this thread.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:24 PM

28,721 posts, read 42,787,742 times
Living in a Sun City I see lots of older folks (older than me ) and you would be amazed at how many not only have smart phones and tablets, but profess they'd never give them up.

I think it's less age than attitude.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:42 PM

1,333 posts, read 706,264 times
My dad is in his early 60's and every time I show him some of the things you can do with computers (especially when talking about security) it just blows his mind. It seems like I just told him the most incredible thing he has ever heard. I always find it funny. I honestly didn't think computers would be the area of advancement people would complain about.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:07 PM

23,625 posts, read 24,873,062 times
I got a computer/pad thing about 20 years ago but the damn tv part is too heavy to carry around and doesn't tune into any tv stations, what good is it?

Old 02-16-2016, 07:41 AM

13,206 posts, read 15,289,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I KNOW it is.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:43 AM

14,267 posts, read 17,054,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
These damn computer geeks keep coming up with new, ever more complicated ones that I need to learn to use. STOP!!!!! It ain't broke, GEEK. Don't fix it. Nail their hands to the desk. Stop "improving" everything! Leave it be! It's fine the way it is!

I am 56 years old and I wish I was back in the day of the typewriter. Then, they were not introducing "upgrades" every five milli seconds that I have to spend time out from doing what I do to learn. It's like some kind of perverted arms race.

56? You're just a kid! Seriously, my sister feels the same way, so I keep telling her to stop using her computer if she hates it so much.

Personally, I think they're a lot easier to use now, but if you're not comfortable with "gadgets" just don't buy any. However, the more technology changes, the better it is for the consumer who wants to buy something new, but not necessarily the fastest, smartest, hottest product on the market.

For example, since most people use smartphones, I only spent $12.88 for my new Samsung flip phone. That's all I need. I only bought it a few weeks ago, but I just saw it online for $7.65. Imagine buying a cell phone with a camera for under $10 even 5 years ago. I cannot imagine driving a car without one. To me, it's a safety device. Also, I saved for a long time to buy my first PC with a 266mhz Celeron processor. Now you can buy a tablet or Chromebook with a super sharp screen for under $200. I remember spending more than $500 on my first color TV, a 17" Sony Trinitron. Now there are 32" LED HDTVs selling for $150.

I'm happy to see your post, however, because I've been called a dinosaur for not using a smartphone.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:53 AM

44,256 posts, read 57,281,260 times
I used to buy tons of gadgets. And it all wound up in a drawer.
However, I recently purchased (a couple-three years ago) a UE Boom bluetooth speaker. I use that thing every single day. Every single day.

And I don't even listen to music.

To each their own.

That *gadget* has been worth every penny.
Smartwatch? Pfft.
Phone? Sure, ok. I see the use, but could live without.
Ipad? Whatever.

But to each their own.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:55 AM

44,256 posts, read 57,281,260 times
Quote:
I remember an accident in Iowa before cell phones were common. A young woman hung upside down in a creek in winter for days, but survived. She couldn't get the seat belt off. If she had a cell phone she would likely have been rescued the same day.
I remember thousands of accidents caused by people on their cell phones while they're driving. I don't think we're better off.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:56 AM

14,267 posts, read 17,054,181 times
Quote:
Living in a Sun City I see lots of older folks (older than me ) and you would be amazed at how many not only have smart phones and tablets, but profess they'd never give them up.

I saw many people in their 70s and 80s using iPads in the clubhouse or library when I was in FL. However, I think it's sometimes more than attitude, but a form of anxiety. Someone recently told me she was exhausted after reading her emails, since it was "such a chore" to use a computer. I said I was puzzled, because all I do is open the lid and click on an icon that looks like an envelope. Poof..there's my email screen. So I'm not passing judgment, but it's something I just don't understand and, believe me, I am not tech savvy at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones