Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 07:42 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
When I was stuck on the side of the road at night, I'm sure glad I had a cell phone in the car to call AAA. When I saw an accident, I picked up my phone and dialed 911. I heard sirens within seconds.

Maybe we should ban alcohol. In 2013, 10,076 people died in drunk driving crashes and 290,000 were injured in drunk driving crashes.

I agree there are a lot of irresponsible people on the road, but cell phones are very important. They save lives.
The problem is people aren't just pulling over and using them for emergency situations. They talk on them while driving, text while driving and not paying attention to the road in front of them, killing people or causing non-fatal wrecks. People are becoming slaves chained to their phones 24/7, walking and driving around so focused on their phones they are oblivious to the real world around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 08:18 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
You have to learn these darned gadgets to keep any kind of job, these days. What I do is chemistry. That is what I like. I am not and don't want to be some computer scientist.
That's not true. It simply isn't for most American workers. Band spanking new phones with new features come out nearly every month. But ANY of the attorney's that I work for could still be doing just as good a job with that very first iPhone.
Windows 10 isn't any harder then Windows XP. Office 2016 isn't any harder then 2003. If you just take a little time and learn where things have been moved....it's really not that hard.

Quote:

What's totally pathetic is that these damn geeks are so busy playing with their compu-gizmos that they forget to read the methods (first thing I do) and often wind up producing results that are complete crap.
"These damn geeks..." omg, just stop that already....

Quote:
This can have dire results. Like, nitrates in drinking water. Children can die, no kidding.
I thought we were discussing gadgets? Like phones, tablets, watches, computers?
So let's stay on point.

What gadgets do you really hate?

Old 03-25-2016, 10:12 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The problem is people aren't just pulling over and using them for emergency situations. They talk on them while driving, text while driving and not paying attention to the road in front of them, killing people or causing non-fatal wrecks. People are becoming slaves chained to their phones 24/7, walking and driving around so focused on their phones they are oblivious to the real world around them.
There was this great story on the local (NYC) news about some guy who was so busy texting that he actually wandered off the platform and onto the tracks. OMG!

It's apparently becoming a problem - people spacing, bumping into things, straying in front of buses, and being generally oblivious to reality because they're on their gadget.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That's not true. It simply isn't for most American workers. Band spanking new phones with new features come out nearly every month. But ANY of the attorney's that I work for could still be doing just as good a job with that very first iPhone.
Windows 10 isn't any harder then Windows XP. Office 2016 isn't any harder then 2003. If you just take a little time and learn where things have been moved....it's really not that hard.

"These damn geeks..." omg, just stop that already....

I thought we were discussing gadgets? Like phones, tablets, watches, computers?
So let's stay on point.

What gadgets do you really hate?
Actually, you have a point. I was being quite rude.

Oh, those TABLETS. I had a job, briefly (yeah, big surprise) with this boss lady who lived on the thing. I nearly had a nervous breakdown trying to keep up.

Nice to have a cell phone. But, does it really need to take pictures?

Haven't owned a watch in years. Get the time off my phone.

Oddly, once upon a time, I was pretty adept with computers. I installed my own RAM upgrade and modem board. I even wrote programs in BASIC to do lab calculations (I wrote one to do least square fitting computations)

A lot of you have another point, I'm just getting too damn old. I want to be back in a lab testing sewage.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:24 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
Nice to have a cell phone. But, does it really need to take pictures?

I have a Canon point and shoot 8MP camera. Takes great pics even tho it is a few years old. I also carry an iPhone 6. It takes superior pictures to the above mentioned camera. I am a bit of a hack photographer. But see the thing is my phone is always with me and when a memorable moment presents itself I have a camera!.

I was at the local ski resort and saw this. I don't take my camera when I ski, but I do take my phone. And now I have this picture-printed and framed:

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...aton-dodge.jpg

Old 03-26-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I have a Canon point and shoot 8MP camera. Takes great pics even tho it is a few years old. I also carry an iPhone 6. It takes superior pictures to the above mentioned camera. I am a bit of a hack photographer. But see the thing is my phone is always with me and when a memorable moment presents itself I have a camera!.

I was at the local ski resort and saw this. I don't take my camera when I ski, but I do take my phone. And now I have this picture-printed and framed:

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...aton-dodge.jpg
That's beautiful! Perhaps you are right.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:34 AM

Yes, well. Here's one last tidbit of bilious moaning. Perhaps a little off topic, its soft, not hardware.

MicroSoft Word STINKS. Word Perfect 5.1 was superior in every respect. MS Word has this infuriating way of doing funny things that it thinks I want done, but don't.

Also, when I access attachments (resumes with bulleted items) and try to cut and paste them it moves the text that goes with the bullet one line down, so I have to go and manually massage the stupid thing so that it looks right again.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Something to try with MS Word: When you run into those idiot bullet type errors highlight and copy the area required to be removed to make it "right". Go to Find and Replace and paste the data into the Find field. Leave the Replace field blank. Replace all.

And I always liked WordPerfect more than Word. The thinks you could with macros in WordPerfect were amazing. I wish I still had some of the code I wrote to convert data from a Honeywell mainframe into text documents using WP 5.1.

As for taking pictures with our phone: Oh yeah! When we find a bottle of wine we like I take a pic with the phone. When we wander into Total Wine (It could take us an hour to find something it's so big) I show the picture to an employee. Viola, wine. I have a pic of the toothpaste we use because Crest makes somewhere around 150 () varieties and we can't remember what one it is. But I have a picture with me. Pictures of carpet, tile, rugs, furniture, anything we are shopping for that we want to remember and compare.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Wasn't there a story recently about a guy that walked off a cliff and died because he was gawking at his phone? Or is that an Urban Myth?

Nope, true.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:27 PM

6,472 posts, read 10,341,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Wasn't there a story recently about a guy that walked off a cliff and died because he was gawking at his phone?[/url]
I think this is a new case of the Darwin Award winner. Sad to hear, but that's survival of the fittest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones