U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 09:40 PM

752 posts, read 1,627,732 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm all for "gadgets," such as smart phones, that make our lives more enjoyable, easy and safe. But when gadgets come at the expense of one's ability to properly spell or write, communicate intelligently face to face, conduct basic analysis and reasoning, behave in a respectable manner, or carry on day to day without said gadgets, then gadgets have gone too far.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 09:47 PM

4,636 posts, read 7,442,661 times
The key is to use those gadgets intelligently and responsibly. Simple as that.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:55 PM

791 posts, read 1,317,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
Hey, I'm all for "gadgets," such as smart phones, that make our lives more enjoyable, easy and safe. But when gadgets come at the expense of one's ability to properly spell or write, communicate intelligently face to face, conduct basic analysis and reasoning, behave in a respectable manner, or carry on day to day without said gadgets, then gadgets have gone too far.
Yes, well. I read someplace (I think it was a piece in the NYT magazine) that the whole quality of human interaction is altered by the presence of cell phones. People are always looking at them to see if they got a new text. So, they're not fully engaged with the person they're with, anymore.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Something to try with MS Word: When you run into those idiot bullet type errors highlight and copy the area required to be removed to make it "right". Go to Find and Replace and paste the data into the Find field. Leave the Replace field blank. Replace all.

And I always liked WordPerfect more than Word. The thinks you could with macros in WordPerfect were amazing. I wish I still had some of the code I wrote to convert data from a Honeywell mainframe into text documents using WP 5.1.
It had a feature called "reveal codes." You could hit it and all the hypertext tags would pop up and you could alter them at will. MS "improved" it away.

And it had an equation editor. Not only could you do equations, you could do text; incredibly versatile feature for doing posters, leaflets, etc. Again, "improved" away.

What's their next "improvement?" Translate everything into Swahili?

Old 04-01-2016, 08:49 AM

13,220 posts, read 15,301,556 times
Keep beating that dead horse buddy.
Don't worry, I will get off your lawn.

Reveal codes? Still there.
Word Art? Still there and better then it's ever been because frankly it was pretty bland and boring prior to Office 2007.

Don't like what MS does with their product? Use someone else's.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Keep beating that dead horse buddy.
Don't worry, I will get off your lawn.

Reveal codes? Still there.
Word Art? Still there and better then it's ever been because frankly it was pretty bland and boring prior to Office 2007.

Don't like what MS does with their product? Use someone else's.
Again, perhaps you are right. (Where do I find the damn 'reveal codes?")

I just hate messing with computers. They bore me. Rather be pipetting sewage.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:33 AM

I use Shift + F1.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:35 AM

56 posts, read 28,592 times
Learning new things by being a senior citizen is the good thing but you need to have patience in order learn new technology. I am the fan of new gadgets that comes to the market with new features.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:34 PM

2,746 posts, read 5,249,053 times
I just had a terrible experience with a new phone and I couldn't enter periods or spaces. I had to turn off certain keyboard settings, but I'm upset because those things should NOT have been On by default.

BTW I'm not some crazy elderly person. I use devices all the time.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:59 AM

You're still pretty crazy. And there's no way you would have upgraded your 6 year old phone if you weren't having problems with it. Admit it.

And learning a new feature (like the proper way to use the newer Google keyboard which isn't even that new, and the awesome features it has added) is in no way, shape or form the technologies fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones