Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 07:15 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,567,067 times

Advertisements

I pretty much hate new technology too because most of it is nothing to make life easier. Its all trendy useless things that are "cool" for example the,samsung edge that has a screen that goes to the edge? Wowwww what life altering event does that do for me? Nothing.

90% of technology today is nothing life altering because the real inventors have been dead for a long time.

When i think of innovation i think of tesla, george westinghouse, ben franklin, and guys like that REAL innovators. The "inventors" of today just invent useless crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 07:15 PM

61,403 posts, read 86,378,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I've noticed that over the years things like smartphones and computers have become easier to use. Back in the day you almost had to hire a tech to set up your new computer. Same with buying a new phone. Now you turn them on, go thru some pages and you are good to go!
I am trying to keep up, and it seems to be easier than in the beginning. So far so good. Everything nowadays is pretty much "plug and play". Plus all kinds of books for Dummies and YouTube videos. Can't go wrong with that

Old 01-18-2016, 09:37 PM

6,418 posts, read 10,243,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
The "inventors" of today just invent useless crap.
Maybe you should stick with a rotary dial telephone plugged into the wall with an old fashioned cord.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:07 AM

14,612 posts, read 17,391,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
I am 56 years old and I wish I was back in the day of the typewriter.
A little young to ossify. What are you going to be like at age 80?

Online etymology dictionary (a new fangled computer thing)
ossify (v.) 1713, "to turn into bone," a back-formation from ossification, or else modeled on French ossifier (18c.) and formed from Latin os (genitive ossis) "bone" (see osseous) + -fy.
Figurative sense is from 1858. Related: Ossified; ossifying.

I am using the word in the figurative sense.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:20 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,122,959 times
As people get older they become mentally slower and unable to understand new technology. That's completely acceptable and it happens over time. If you're in your 60s, 70s, and 80s this is reasonable.

I would be concerned if you were in your 30s and 40s and you had this much slowdown in your mental capacity. Our ability to grasp change in process and technology is so precious. Once we start losing it, it's all downhill. And sadly, those who are losing their mental capacity start calling technology "useless" because they can no longer comprehend it. They are also unable to comprehend their mental limitations. We're all going to go through it. Just be glad you weren't going through it at a younger age.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:07 AM

16,493 posts, read 19,549,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I pretty much hate new technology too because most of it is nothing to make life easier.
So if it doesn't make your life easier... you hate it?? Ridiculous.
I do not get that at all.

I also don't believe "as people get older they cannot understand new technology". That's pure and utter BS. It is because they CHOOSE not to.

I've also long suspected and recently it has been proven that not using your brain and learning new things is certainly a contributor to dementia.

"The findings of a new study suggest that the protective effects of an active cognitive lifestyle arise through multiple biological pathways. For some time researchers have been aware of a link between what we do with our brains and the long term risk for dementia. In general, those who are more mentally active or maintain an active cognitive lifestyle throughout their lives are at lower risk."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0425094358.htm

Old 01-19-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Maybe you should stick with a rotary dial telephone plugged into the wall with an old fashioned cord.
Never had a rotary phone i'm 37. Most gadgets made today serve no real life altering purpose just something "cool" to have mostly for the kids.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
So if it doesn't make your life easier... you hate it?? Ridiculous.
I do not get that at all.

I also don't believe "as people get older they cannot understand new technology". That's pure and utter BS. It is because they CHOOSE not to.

I've also long suspected and recently it has been proven that not using your brain and learning new things is certainly a contributor to dementia.

"The findings of a new study suggest that the protective effects of an active cognitive lifestyle arise through multiple biological pathways. For some time researchers have been aware of a link between what we do with our brains and the long term risk for dementia. In general, those who are more mentally active or maintain an active cognitive lifestyle throughout their lives are at lower risk."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0425094358.htm
Yes i hate useless things that are simply created to make landfills larger. Just like the as seen on tv commercials with all that garbage.

It's nothing about age when people get older they aren't amused by things that are targeted to children and teens.

I use my laptop every day for at least 4 hours and have used a computer nearly every day since about 1992.
I like technology that serves a real purpose not just a fad or something cool.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:13 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,449,258 times
Get off my lawn!
Attached Thumbnails
I HATE gadgets!!!!-old.jpg  

Old 01-20-2016, 10:28 AM

5,372 posts, read 3,562,772 times
I believe one day technology will wipe out all intelligent life on this planet.
already people are forgetting how to have a conversation face-to-face, instead they text or email, even when the person is right next to them.
people seem to be glued to their mobiles 24/7 and cant live without them for 5 minutes, in the bus queue, walking down the road, while their eating a meal, its heads down, click,click.click.
its pathetic!!!

Last edited by bigpaul; 01-20-2016 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones