U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 01:39 PM

791 posts, read 1,311,629 times

Advertisements

These damn computer geeks keep coming up with new, ever more complicated ones that I need to learn to use. STOP!!!!! It ain't broke, GEEK. Don't fix it. Nail their hands to the desk. Stop "improving" everything! Leave it be! It's fine the way it is!

I am 56 years old and I wish I was back in the day of the typewriter. Then, they were not introducing "upgrades" every five milli seconds that I have to spend time out from doing what I do to learn. It's like some kind of perverted arms race.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 03:27 PM

26,923 posts, read 34,505,539 times
Does anyone see the irony here?

No one is holding your feet to the fire to run out and get the latest greatest Samsung device. If it isn't for you, fine.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:34 PM

11,757 posts, read 5,733,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
These damn computer geeks keep coming up with new, ever more complicated ones that I need to learn to use. STOP!!!!! It ain't broke, GEEK. Don't fix it. Nail their hands to the desk. Stop "improving" everything! Leave it be! It's fine the way it is!

I am 56 years old and I wish I was back in the day of the typewriter. Then, they were not introducing "upgrades" every five milli seconds that I have to spend time out from doing what I do to learn. It's like some kind of perverted arms race.
Discovery and innovation is what drives economies.

70% in the US hold no degree at all. We are rapidly losing our place in the world as being on the forefront of innovation and discovery.

We did not even land in the top 30!

Overall, the 40 most science-educated countries in the world saw a drop from 23% STEM degrees in 2002 to 22% a decade later.

The United States rounded out the bottom of the list in 39th place, with 16% STEM degrees in both 2002 and 2012.

America we have a BIG problem.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:41 PM

4,080 posts, read 2,827,903 times
As far as smartphones, I ignore about 98% of the stuff my phone can do. However, as far as my business goes, technology has tripled or quadrupled my productivity. The digital photography, digital mapping, etc are things I could have only dreamed about when I was poring over the microfiche and paper maps 24 years ago. My advice is to just use what you need and ignore the rest.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:46 PM

35,318 posts, read 45,309,319 times
At 68 i got tired of continually trying to keep up with new technological applications, my cell phone is no more along with my game systems,e readers etc.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:12 PM

9,301 posts, read 10,389,852 times
I've noticed that over the years things like smartphones and computers have become easier to use. Back in the day you almost had to hire a tech to set up your new computer. Same with buying a new phone. Now you turn them on, go thru some pages and you are good to go!

Last edited by Mr5150; 01-17-2016 at 05:00 PM..

Old 01-17-2016, 08:37 PM

16,333 posts, read 18,287,951 times
Nothing stopping you from using a typewriter. It works just as well as it ever did.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:45 AM

13,036 posts, read 15,133,319 times
Someone just put me out of my misery if I ever get like this dude...

Remind of my grandfather who could never figure out how to program his VCR.

But please, OP. Stop learning new things. K? Cuz there's just no reason to do that, amirite?

Old 01-18-2016, 08:03 PM

4,960 posts, read 4,673,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post

And get off my lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Someone just put me out of my misery if I ever get like this dude...

Remind of my grandfather who could never figure out how to program his VCR.

But please, OP. Stop learning new things. K? Cuz there's just no reason to do that, amirite?
OMG, OP. Seriously?!? I'm only a few years younger than you and I LOVE the technology that is available today. My dad is 80, and he loves his latest computer and figuring out new things.

OP, the horses weren't broke back in the 'oughts....Ford never should have invented that darn motorized buggy, should have he?
Fireplaces worked just fine for heat...there is no need for central HVAC systems!
And electricity! Everyone had candles that worked JUST FINE. Electricity is such a waste.

Everyone should learn at least one new thing every day. If you have not, it was a day wasted.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:14 PM

4,960 posts, read 4,673,342 times
Technology Predictions That Were Totally Wrong - Bro My God | The Funniest Online Man Cave that brings you Cars, Hot Women and internet trends

Quote:
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home. - Ken Olson, Digital Equipment Corp.
Quote:
There is practically no chance communications space satellites will be used to provide better telephone, telegraph, television, or radio service inside the United States. - T. Craven, FCC Commissioner, 1961
Quote:
Heavier than air flying machines are impossible. -Lord Kelvin, British mathematician and physicist.
Kelvin also said:
Quote:
X-rays will prove to be a hoax.
There are more of these gems at the link I provided at the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones