U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 08:23 AM

14,794 posts, read 23,513,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Ha, Ha!

So it's not just me,age 66. As they say forgetting where you leave you left your phone is normal. Not remembering what your phone is for is a sign of dementia.
I don't have dementia because I can still remember what a phone is for.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 01:50 PM

208 posts, read 391,227 times
This is just an update

So, it appears that the rep was correct. The only downside is you will be without a phone for a very long time.

1) You will not be able to activate your phone until Asurion receives the refused phone.
2) Once Asurion receives the refused phone, and their system acknowledges it, it will take between 24-48 hours before it is cleared on Sprint's system that your phone can be activated.

So, I have been without a phone since then, and I may not have a phone till two days from now.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:39 AM

15,182 posts, read 17,170,567 times
While I certainly believe you, something doesn't add up.

I've had an employee lose a phone, we put in for a replacement call, she found her phone. It was still activated and ready to go.

Assurion cannot disable your phone. They do not have the access to do so.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:49 PM

208 posts, read 391,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
While I certainly believe you, something doesn't add up.

I've had an employee lose a phone, we put in for a replacement call, she found her phone. It was still activated and ready to go.

Assurion cannot disable your phone. They do not have the access to do so.
Not sure where you're getting your information from, but it's wrong. I think I can clear up what doesn't seem to add up.

When you report your phone as lost/stolen, the insurance company and the carrier blocks the IMEI number for that phone. This is how the phone gets on the IMEI database so other carriers do not allow the phone to be activated as well. The reason your employee's phone was still activated was because it was never de-activated. When you're doing the claim, you have the option to have the new phone came to you already activated, which is what I did.

What I think happened with my phone is that the phone was reactivated before the IMEI block was processed. Since I called Asurion on the same day I reported the phone as Lost/Stolen, I was able to re-activate my phone and used it. Asurion even told me that I wouldn't be able to activate the phone until they received the phone I refused. Unfortunately for me, I needed to activate a phone on my wife's account, and I mistakenly had the agent activate it on my account, which deactivated my phone. When I found out about the error a few hours later, I tried to have them activate my phone, and they were not able to because, according to the carrier, Asurion still reported the phone as lost/stolen, and they could not activate it until that lost/stolen status cleared. If that little mishap didn't happen, I don't think I would have had any issue with my phone.

If the issue with your employee happened recently, she may want to call her insurance company to make sure they lifted the blacklisted on her phone.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:59 AM

56 posts, read 31,128 times
Your phone must remain in on condition if you want your Android device manager to work to found your lost smartphone.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:11 AM

6,397 posts, read 3,827,314 times
^ not sure about android device manager, but androidlost emails you when the cellular-fone is below 15% battery with a map of its latest location.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:10 AM

15,182 posts, read 17,170,567 times
Every time it gets below 15%? Ugh, not for me thanks.
I don't lose me phone nearly enough to want the feature turned on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones