U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 08:33 AM

13,040 posts, read 15,137,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Better solution: have nothing to hide. My iPhone is not used for anything nefarious or important financially.
+1 Couldn't agree more.

What's LE?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 08:38 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Better solution: have nothing to hide. My iPhone is not used for anything nefarious or important financially. Plus I am not a nefarious sort of guy. I don't even have it passcode protected. Why? No need. If it gets lost or stolen I can turn it into a brick, or at least locked via Mrs5150's iPhone at will and visa versa. 15 second process. Wonderful app is Find My iPhone!

And yea, my Apple account password is alphanumeric with eight characters.

Banking: done on the desktop at home

Purchases: done with cash or plastic. Credit/Debit cards are incredibility thin and take up less space than a set of keys. Cash is nice. No chance of identity theft or if you are nefarious, no paper trail.

I think that people who use their phone for everything are setting themselves up for trouble should their phone get lost, stolen or subpoenaed.

And to those who are monitoring my posts, please note that I am a retired government employee, who worked with LE.
So just because you don't use your phone for anything important means everyone else should be put at risk for no actual benefit?

And the exact same argument for putting security holes in your phone can be applied to applied to putting security holes in systems you do use, like online banking over the internet from your computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
I'm not ignorant. I'm not anti privacy.
Fair enough. I did leave out the frightened who wish to wrap themselves in a false sense of security while actually putting themselves at risk.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:00 AM

13,040 posts, read 15,137,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Fair enough. I did leave out the frightened who wish to wrap themselves in a false sense of security while actually putting themselves at risk.
Seriously?
Yep. You nailed it. I'm so scared...

How about those of us who just don't give a f? Aren't committing crimes? Have ZERO to hide on my phone. How about those people that if they DID have something to hide, I...err they... would find my ahem...their own ways to secure that and not rely on Apple, Samsung, or Google to protect me....themselves... How about people like that, JasonF?

Old 04-19-2016, 10:58 AM

9,301 posts, read 10,392,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

What's LE?
Law Enforcement

Quote:
So just because you don't use your phone for anything important means everyone else should be put at risk for no actual benefit?

And the exact same argument for putting security holes in your phone can be applied to applied to putting security holes in systems you do use, like online banking over the internet from your computer.
People can do what they wish. We don't use passcodes on our phones, because of the aforementioned reasons and it is annoying to enter a passcode every time I want to access my phone which could be 20 times a day. Mrs5150 tried it for a week and hated it.

As to online banking, every device used to do that task increases one's risk. So I only do it on my desktop. If I used my phone AND my desktop that would double my risk. Toss in my laptop and risk is tripled. Banking is not so urgent that I can't wait an hour or six to do a transaction.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:51 AM

41,823 posts, read 44,899,213 times
Quote:
Better solution: have nothing to hide.
If you had a house safe with nothing to hide should the cops have a key to it?

In any event the bottom line is this, the government will never get ahead of this tech which is only going to get better.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
As to online banking, every device used to do that task increases one's risk. .
Here's a quick tip for you, get a live Linux CD like Knoppix. You boot that instead of Windows. Every time you boot it's like a fresh install.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:22 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,411,187 times
Quote:
Hmm...

You're going to need to avoid Airbnb, eBay, LinkedIn, Meetup, Reedid, Amazon, Box, Cisco, Dropbox, Everynote, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Mozilla, AT&T, etc.
Closed my Facebook account this month, too. If arrogant tech companies think they can redefine our laws and our beliefs, they have another thing coming.

Quote:
Pretty much the entire tech industry took Apple's side in this. Only ignorant people and those who hate privacy oppose them.
Nope, I am not ignorant and I don't take their side on this. Your argument is disproven.

What's this? A headline:

"Apple is about to announce that it had its worst quarter in 13 years, reporting sinking earnings and sales..." - CNN

"Apple's quarterly sales fall for the first time in 13 years" - LA Times

"Rotten Apple: Stock plunges 8% on earnings, revenue miss" - CNBC

Quote:
There's nothing "patriotic" about invading end user privacy.
Directly denying the US Federal Bureau of Investigations's request to unlock a user closely connected to the terrorist murderers who killed 14 innocent Americans is not patriotic and not a company I want making my phone or anyone else's.

Quote:
Oh, and Google doesn't hate gay people either...
The people of the state of North Carolina and their representatives do not "hate gay people". They acted to prevent people from visiting the restroom of the opposite sex. It's that simple. And these companies like Paypal and Apple and Facebook will answer to a Holy God for such shameful arrogance and disgusting sinful ideas for trying to make them out to be bigots or backwards. God will judge, not Tim Cook!

Old 04-28-2016, 06:22 AM

4,218 posts, read 4,692,991 times
Quote:
Better solution: have nothing to hide. My iPhone is not used for anything nefarious or important financially. Plus I am not a nefarious sort of guy. I don't even have it passcode protected. Why? No need. If it gets lost or stolen I can turn it into a brick, or at least locked via Mrs5150's iPhone at will and visa versa. 15 second process. Wonderful app is Find My iPhone!

And yea, my Apple account password is alphanumeric with eight characters.

Banking: done on the desktop at home

Purchases: done with cash or plastic. Credit/Debit cards are incredibility thin and take up less space than a set of keys. Cash is nice. No chance of identity theft or if you are nefarious, no paper trail.

I think that people who use their phone for everything are setting themselves up for trouble should their phone get lost, stolen or subpoenaed.

And to those who are monitoring my posts, please note that I am a retired government employee, who worked with LE.
I use my phone for a lot, but of course I still have real keys and credit/debit cards. That said, IMHO, using Apple Pay is much safer than using an ordinary credit/debit card. I also believe the mere fact that the feds had to pay over a million bucks to gain "access" to the phone suggests the phone is indeed incredibly (not absolutely) secure. I have no reason to be concerned about subpoenas.

And for those monitoring my posts, please note that I am an attorney and a former federal government employee who had her TC security documents hacked. (Tip of the hat to OPM for that screw up. )

I'll take my chances with Apple.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Directly denying the US Federal Bureau of Investigations's request to unlock a user closely connected to the terrorist murderers who killed 14 innocent Americans is not patriotic and not a company I want making my phone or anyone else's.
The government is never going to get ahead of this tech unless they outlaw it. At the very most what they can expect to accomplish is to stop hardware with easy to use integrated encryption from being sold off the shelf to average consumers. Just so it's clear, what that means is it won't stop anyone from encrypting data.

FYI what the FBI wanted Apple to exploit is no longer possible with the newer phones, requesting help from Apple is now a moot point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones