Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 06:28 PM

360 posts, read 710,663 times

Advertisements

I've been a iPhone user for almost 10 years. I have been grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited plan, for $109 I get unlimited calls, texts, data, etc.. everything.

For the first time in a long time, I'm seriously considering a switch. My iPhone 5c is beat up and I'm thinking about making a upgrade. I'm comfortable with iPhones, but I'd consider something else.

I use my current iPhone a lot. I would need at least 2,000+ texts a month. I also use a lot of data because I stream spotify & podcasts a couple of hours a day and I check / reply to e-mails regularly. I watch videos once in a blue moon and never play games (not sure if that matters).

I'd like to get a plan under $100.

Any suggestions on what type of phone to get and what type of plan I should look for? Should I stay with AT&T? Should I buy or lease the phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 09:27 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,242,755 times
Unlimited will be hard to get in the future, I would stick with your grandfathered plan since you are happy with and know how to work iphones, then probably best to get another one.
Apple iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, SE and 5s - New iPhone Specs and Price - AT&T
AT&T Cell Phones, Plans & Devices - Best Buy

Costco Wireless - Big Savings on Cell Phones - Offering Plans from Verizon Wireless, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:22 AM

16,496 posts, read 19,557,895 times
I would not stick with the UDP (Unlimited Data Plan).
Look at your last 3 or 4 billing periods. What is the most data you've used?
We've been holding on to my wife's UDP for a long time. After closely following how much data she uses, we could EASILY get by with a 4GB plan which will save us about $15 a month including the lease payment on the device. So after that is up, we would be saving even mroe.

The current top of the line Androids are:
LG G5 and V10
Samsung S7 and S7 Edge
HTC M10

Personally I kind of favor the LG's for the replaceable batteries.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:09 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,500,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
I've been a iPhone user for almost 10 years. I have been grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited plan, for $109 I get unlimited calls, texts, data, etc.. everything.

For the first time in a long time, I'm seriously considering a switch. My iPhone 5c is beat up and I'm thinking about making a upgrade. I'm comfortable with iPhones, but I'd consider something else.

I use my current iPhone a lot. I would need at least 2,000+ texts a month. I also use a lot of data because I stream spotify & podcasts a couple of hours a day and I check / reply to e-mails regularly. I watch videos once in a blue moon and never play games (not sure if that matters).

I'd like to get a plan under $100.

Any suggestions on what type of phone to get and what type of plan I should look for? Should I stay with AT&T? Should I buy or lease the phone?
Almost anything is gonna beat the heck out of your 5c. Mrs5150 went from a 5 to a 6 before Christmas and was impressed by the camera and speed. One thing is for sure, you are comfortable with the iPhone, so sticking with the iPhone is a sure thing. Android is different so you may or may not like the OS.

As was mentioned, check your data usage for the last couple of months. My guess if you are not streaming videos, you are wasting your money with that unlimited plan. We are with ATT. Two iPhones, 5gigs of shared date with rollover unlimited texts and talk, $100 a month. One phone would run you $75 a month for the 5gig plan, which I guess would be plenty for someone who does not stream videos.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:01 PM

Thanks all. I have looked at my usage and I'm average 13285 MB per month since this time last year. Are there any plans that would be a good fit with this type of usage?

Should I buy or lease my phone? Buying a phone outright isn't an issue - I'd rather do whatever is economically better.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:00 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,454,646 times
You are using quite a bit of data so it might be best to stick with your unlimited plan and just get a new iPhone. You are used to them and they work wonderfully. If you like the size of your 5c get an iPhone SE. Same screen size. They also sell the larger 6s and even larger 6s plus. AT&T offers the phone price spread out over 2 years with no interest so it's up to you if you want to pay all at once or spread it out over 24 bills.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:50 PM

16,496 posts, read 19,557,895 times
Agreed. That's a lot. Keep the UDP.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:28 PM

Ok great, I'll keep the plan. Should I buy or lease the phone?

Should I wait for the iPhone 7 to come out?

Old 05-03-2016, 07:55 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,242,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
Ok great, I'll keep the plan. Should I buy or lease the phone?

Should I wait for the iPhone 7 to come out?
Do you have to have the newest and the best or are you happier saving some bucks, my guess is there will be some great deals around for the 6 plus, looks like a great phone and friends who have them love them. I buy what I need, not what others will say wow to.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:04 AM

6,419 posts, read 10,247,923 times
OP, your best bet to preserve you grandfathered unlimited plan is to buy the phone at full retail price. If you want to use the Next financing option, I believe you will have to change to the Mobile Share Value plan and lose the unlimited data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones