Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 02:00 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times

Advertisements

I have a 2 year contract with AT&T and I am considering either giving up my unlimited data and going elsewhere (no termination fee if I hurry - time's running out) OR "selling" (transfer billing responsibility) of my contract (expires May 30, 2017) to someone who is willing to pay about $300 for the remainder of my contract (Ebay?).

I have 450 anytime min. talk time w/ rollover, 200 texts and as noted above, unlimited data. The 450 min w/rollover is $39/mth, 200 texts $5.00, and unlimited data $35. I receive an employer type discount so the regular cost: $79 + taxes & fees is reduced to $76 including taxes & fees.

I checked my bill and I use about 500 MB a month except for two months where I hit a little more than 1 GB. Seriously. OTOH, I could cancel my home wifi and use the phone for all browsing.

I bought a lovely 64 gig IPhone 6+, for $300 ? under the above terms of my contract. (Thank you, AT&T.) If I give up my data plan, my iphone will be unlocked and ready to go elsewhere.

So, what would you do? Keep as is, terminate contract or "sell" contract (but keep phone)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 03:27 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
With your usage, you've been wasting $24 a month. Att's current pricing is $55 a month for unlimited talk and text with a 2gig data plan, before company discount.

Also consider that data speeds vary a lot during the day. You can have 20 megs at 2AM, but only 1 meg at 2PM.

Last edited by Mr5150; 04-13-2016 at 03:43 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
With your usage, you've been wasting $24 a month. Att's current pricing is $55 a month for unlimited talk and text with a 2gig data plan, before company discount.

Also consider that data speeds vary a lot during the day. You can have 20 megs at 2AM, but only 1 meg at 2PM.
Aaarghh, this is too difficult a choice. What if 2 gigs doesn't cut it? Assuming 2 gigs is enough, then I should probably transfer the remainder of my contract for $$$.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:12 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I have a 2 year contract with AT&T and I am considering either giving up my unlimited data and going elsewhere (no termination fee if I hurry - time's running out) OR "selling" (transfer billing responsibility) of my contract (expires May 30, 2017) to someone who is willing to pay about $300 for the remainder of my contract (Ebay?).

I have 450 anytime min. talk time w/ rollover, 200 texts and as noted above, unlimited data. The 450 min w/rollover is $39/mth, 200 texts $5.00, and unlimited data $35. I receive an employer type discount so the regular cost: $79 + taxes & fees is reduced to $76 including taxes & fees.

I checked my bill and I use about 500 MB a month except for two months where I hit a little more than 1 GB. Seriously. OTOH, I could cancel my home wifi and use the phone for all browsing.

I bought a lovely 64 gig IPhone 6+, for $300 ? under the above terms of my contract. (Thank you, AT&T.) If I give up my data plan, my iphone will be unlocked and ready to go elsewhere.

So, what would you do? Keep as is, terminate contract or "sell" contract (but keep phone)?
You better make sure you can go elsewhere, AT&T phones usually cannot transfer to another carrier because of the sim cards or something specific they use.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:50 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Aaarghh, this is too difficult a choice. What if 2 gigs doesn't cut it? Assuming 2 gigs is enough, then I should probably transfer the remainder of my contract for $$$.
Read what You said your data usage was. I had a vacation month when I used 11 gigs. I just jumped to the 15 gig plan for that 30 day period and then dropped back to the 2 gig plan afterwards. You do know that you can do that with ATT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You better make sure you can go elsewhere, AT&T phones usually cannot transfer to another carrier because of the sim cards or something specific they use.
His/her iPhone 6s is compatable with all North American carriers as is my 6. Apple no longer makes carrier specific phones.

Last edited by Mr5150; 04-13-2016 at 09:01 PM..

Old 04-14-2016, 07:50 AM

[quote=Mr5150;43707225]Read what You said your data usage was. I had a vacation month when I used 11 gigs. I just jumped to the 15 gig plan for that 30 day period and then dropped back to the 2 gig plan afterwards. You do know that you can do that with ATT? <snip>

Well, yes, but I thought exceeding the 2 gig was like an additional zillion dollars Is it similar to my adding a few minutes on to my talk time BEFORE I exceed the 450 anytime threshold? (That is, not particularly painful).

If yes, then I still need to think this through. I'm not sure I want to stay with AT&T because 1) I will lose the ability to avoid the ETF (and unlocking of the phone) if I decide to jump later in the remaining year and 2) I get no coverage when I spend my summers on the lake in NH (where Verizon works beautifully). I do, however, carry a Verizon burner while visiting there.

The early waiving of the ETF would allow me to jump to no contract carriers whenever I find a better deal.

One big reason to keep AT&T is the unlimited calls to and from other AT&T customers. The vast majority of my calls are from family members who also rely on their ability to call me using unlimited minutes. I guess I need to check with the member in California. Depending on her actual plan, the time difference could really mess things up for her if I change carriers.

In case you can't tell, I'm not disagreeing with you - I'm just trying not to overlook a factor that may be significant in reaching my decision.

Thanks for the info - The information you have provided is helpful and at this point, I AM leaning towards switching to a limited data plan.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:07 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
If you go over your data, and I can't believe no one has expressed this to you yet, it is a mere $10 for the next gig.
I also cannot believe no one has said: 2GB is a LOT of data and more then enough for 50% of users out there.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:01 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,582 times
why would i pay that when i can go unlimited with 2GB of data plus i use my TWC accout to access hotspots it makes no sense to pay that rate!!

Old 04-17-2016, 10:05 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,336 times
Quote:

Our two year contract was to expire in September. We received a letter from AT&T about an additional $10 fee to continue our unlimited data plan, but we could cancel without penalty. We opted to cancel and opted for a 6G plan split between two phones. We are now paying about $50 a month less and no longer locked into a contract and we own our phones free and clear

Old 04-19-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
Our two year contract was to expire in September. We received a letter from AT&T about an additional $10 fee to continue our unlimited data plan, but we could cancel without penalty. We opted to cancel and opted for a 6G plan split between two phones. We are now paying about $50 a month less and no longer locked into a contract and we own our phones free and clear
I haven't checked but I suspect my time to cancel has passed. But...are you saying you stayed with AT&T? If so, did you ask AT&T to unlock your phone? I've seen posts on other forums where the subscriber had to leave AT&T to get the phone unlocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones