U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 03:23 PM

60 posts, read 70,676 times

Advertisements

A year or two ago, I transferred a land line to a burner cell phone and then transferred that number to Google Voice. From there, I forwarded from Google Voice to my regular cell phone. I kept it for a while and then eventually deleted that number. (It was an office line and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss any important calls.)

We have another land line that we want to get rid of but keep the number, so I started the same process with it this week. However, when I started the process on the Google Voice site today, I saw this:
Once porting is complete, you will not be able to receive calls to your mobile phone until you complete the following steps:

Google Voice is not a mobile phone service provider, so you must setup a new mobile phone service plan (with your existing carrier or a new carrier) and request a new number.

Once you've secured a new mobile service plan and a new number, you will need to add this new number to your Google Voice account as a forwarding phone.
I didn't have to do that before. Did something change?

And does this mean I have to pay for a cell phone plan to keep that number no matter what I do? That's what it seems like, but I'm curious if anyone around here has recent experience with this.

Is there an option other than Google Voice that will let me do the same thing without having to pay for another cell phone plan?

Or maybe I could transfer this number to another cell carrier? It's currently with AT&T on a plan that's about $45 a month, which was the cheapest they offered. I figured it didn't matter because I would be getting rid of it anyway. I've never transferred a number to another cell carrier, though, so I'm not sure about the ups and downs of that.

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh, duh. I think I misunderstood this. They're talking about getting a new number for the cell phone that I'm porting to Google Voice, correct? I thought they meant I needed a new cell phone plan, with a new number, to use that number with Google Voice. Ack. I made that more complicated in my head than it needed to be.

I don't care about that cell phone, so it can go dead.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 01:08 AM

11,839 posts, read 12,328,737 times
recommend close. Question asked and answered
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones