Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:04 PM

3,525 posts, read 6,521,504 times

Advertisements

Is it true that people are more often not getting those 2-year or 30-month phone contracts, and more are getting no-contract phones?

I saw a Time article saying this is the trend. I think it's because people often change carriers or locations before the contract is over, is that the reason?

What would be the better approach if you don't often move or change carriers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 03:06 PM

3,525 posts, read 6,521,504 times
Is it true that with a contract today you usually pay for the phone itself monthly. But with nocontract you buy a phone all at once.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:26 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
The main reason people are moving away from contracts is that contracts are no longer being offered. And I feel that the two year contracts were a bad thing as you were locked in to a carrier for two years and paid higher monthly costs.

Plus Mrs5150 had a phone die on her three months before the contract ended and basically had to pay an early termination fee or buy a new phone. Under today's system and our payment plan, she can get a new phone every 12 months with ATT so no worries about a phone lasting two years and it seems to be cost effective when you are saving $25 a month per phone for monthly service.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:59 PM

858 posts, read 2,992,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Is it true that with a contract today you usually pay for the phone itself monthly. But with nocontract you buy a phone all at once.
You can also buy a phone on a monthly installment plan with no interest.
M

Old 04-12-2016, 05:25 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,795,620 times
How is a two year installment plan any different than a 2 year contract. All they did was separate the phone from the service. It's still a 2 year commitment, that is a little easier to pay off if you need to stop service for some reason.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:53 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,527,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
How is a two year installment plan any different than a 2 year contract. All they did was separate the phone from the service. It's still a 2 year commitment, that is a little easier to pay off if you need to stop service for some reason.
You know a lot of these pricing schemes just look at what is fashionable. John Legere led a battle charge against 2 year contracts, so many customers are conditioned to avoid any contracts.

The traditional plan years ago would set a price and include a phone. Every two years you would be eligible for a new phone at a relatively small upgrade fee. But there are customers who don't mind keeping a phone for a decade. They are better off having two separate contracts.

But if you get new phones every two years, then there is very little difference,

Old 04-12-2016, 07:56 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,518 times
I was on contract for long time but as I realize that we pay double than buying the phone at once I stopped with contracts and jumped to no contract monthly renewing one since then I buy my phones at once and I pay calling and internet charges per month just 5 Euro. 5 GB internet 400 min Calling Much better than paying 60 euros per month

Old 04-13-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
You know a lot of these pricing schemes just look at what is fashionable. John Legere led a battle charge against 2 year contracts, so many customers are conditioned to avoid any contracts.

The traditional plan years ago would set a price and include a phone. Every two years you would be eligible for a new phone at a relatively small upgrade fee. But there are customers who don't mind keeping a phone for a decade. They are better off having two separate contracts.

But if you get new phones every two years, then there is very little difference,
Thank you for reminding me why I like the change even if it is still a 2 year commitment to get the phone.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:46 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The main difference is you can pay off the phone anytime you want. You are not locked in. Plus you get a price break on the cost of service-up to $25 per phone per month, at least with ATT (that is who I am with).

25x24=$600. Plus no $100 to $200 down payment. I've done the math and I prefer no contract.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:30 AM

You could pay off 2 year contracts any time you wanted too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones