Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 02:12 PM

569 posts, read 1,058,369 times

Advertisements

I've had a Oneplus One for about 2 years and was pretty happy with it until it got saltwater in the USB port which fried the screen. Now I'm looking for a replacement. I've done a bunch of research and found a lot of interesting phones, but none that seem to jump out at me.

I do a lot of multitasking (browser with 4 tabs, texting, 2 games, Now, Keep, Facebook, Pandora, and camera would be pretty standard for me), and play some fairly heavy games such as XCOM, so I need a decently powerful machine, but I'm on somewhat of a budget.

Requirements:
  • Works on T-Mobile
  • Android OS
  • Good CPU (Oneplus One had Snapdragon 801)
  • At least 3 GB of RAM (I might consider 2 GB, but doubtful)
  • At least 64 GB of storage (or 32 + sd card, considering if 16 + sd card would be doable)
  • Decent battery life
  • 4G LTE
  • About $350 (preferably less since nothing's really jumping out at me)
  • Available now

Highly desired, but not critical (I know I won't get all of these, but a couple would be nice):
  • Quick charge
  • Camera that can compete with an iPhone 6 in both speed and performance (it's annoying to always borrow my wife's phone for pictures)
  • Fingerprint scanner
  • Water resistant
  • Notification rocker switch
  • Decent build quality
  • Tap to wake (may not be necessary with fingerprint, but I miss this a ton when I use other phones)
  • Run 2 apps side-by-side

Not important:
  • Brand name / prestige (though quality matters)
  • Model year
  • Brand new (though it needs to be in good condition and fully functional)
  • QHD+ screen (1080p looks good enough to me and don't need the battery drain)
  • NFC (don't use Google Pay yet and who really uses it for anything else?)
  • Speaker quality
  • Bloatware (I'll probably root and remove anyway)
  • Dual rear cameras
  • Most other gimmicks

Some phones I'm currently considering include:
  • Oneplus One (but still going for $250 for 2 year old hardware?)
  • Oneplus Two (higher end of my price range, no quick charge, improvement seems incremental, and Three is on the the way)
  • G4
  • G Flex 2
Also:
  • Moto X Pure (more expensive than the Two, with the 64GB version being $450, though the 16GB + SD Card may be in consideration)
  • Z5 Compact (higher end of the price range)
  • M9 (higher end of the price range)
  • Nexus 6p (way over budget, but only by about $70 compared to others in this list, and it seems like an actual leap forward)

All seem like good phones, but as I said, nothing is really jumping out at me. I'd like to see the Oneplus Three, if Xiaomi gets something stateside, etc. but unfortunately I can't really wait that long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 02:59 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
If the 6P isn't too big for you, that should be top of your list.
Then I would rank them:
Moto X Pure
M9
Z5
G4

Old 04-27-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If the 6P isn't too big for you, that should be top of your list.
Then I would rank them:
Moto X Pure
M9
Z5
G4
Thanks for the input

The 6p isn't too big, but the price kind of is. I'm looking to spend $350 or less and it's going for $500+ (~50% more than I'm looking to spend). The Moto X Pure is in a similar situation with the 64GB version starting at $450, and only the 16GB being within my targeted budget (just barely). The Z5 is also close to $500 (though the compact is more affordable).

It does look like there are several used and factory refurbished M9s on EBay for around $350 or less. Refurbished phones kind of scare me though. G4s can easily be had for that range as well, even new.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:33 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Just saw this and I regularly see deals like this.

Open box Samsung S5 for $180
Open-Box Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S5 Phone for $180 + free shipping - SM-G900T

They may be gone by the time you read it.

Or check this page on a regular basis for more deals. They are added all the time
Best Android Phones for Sale & Cheap Android Phone Deals

Old 04-27-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Just saw this and I regularly see deals like this.

Open box Samsung S5 for $180
Open-Box Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S5 Phone for $180 + free shipping - SM-G900T

They may be gone by the time you read it.

Or check this page on a regular basis for more deals. They are added all the time
Best Android Phones for Sale & Cheap Android Phone Deals
Thank you, I'll keep an eye on these. I hadn't really considered an S5 before, but it seems to have similar specs to the Oneplus One, only really falling short in RAM (and storage but it takes an sd card). It's definitely worth considering. I'm wondering if the RAM will cause an issue for me with the multitasking, but I know it was a good phone.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:23 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,929 times
Look at last year's Nexus 6 as well. Some great deals on that phone in the past 5 months.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:32 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamon View Post
Thank you, I'll keep an eye on these. I hadn't really considered an S5 before, but it seems to have similar specs to the Oneplus One, only really falling short in RAM (and storage but it takes an sd card). It's definitely worth considering. I'm wondering if the RAM will cause an issue for me with the multitasking, but I know it was a good phone.
2GB is plenty. I have a Nexus 6 with 3gb and never even get to two. I multitask a lot. After all this is a phone, not a PC. I did get my Nexus 6 around Christmas time for $250 from Amazon. They are up to $350 now. I love the phone, it is big however. You have to get used to that.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:43 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Knowing the $350 is your budget I say get the Moto X Pure. Now. While it's on sale for $350. BUT I would seriously suggest adding $50 and getting the 32GB one. Choose your own colors @ MotoMaker.
Although it supports SD card, so that's not AS important.

Deals and Sales - Smartphones and Accessories - Motorola

They are selling the special edition ones for $299 if you can wrap your head around those funky backs. If you like em, cool. If not, get a non see through case. lol

Seriously. Get this phone. You won't regret it.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
2GB is plenty. I have a Nexus 6 with 3gb and never even get to two. I multitask a lot. After all this is a phone, not a PC. I did get my Nexus 6 around Christmas time for $250 from Amazon. They are up to $350 now. I love the phone, it is big however. You have to get used to that.
Even with the 3GB on the Oneplus One I run out of RAM. You can tell when you switch to an app you had open recently and it reloads rather than immediately jumping back to where you were. This is probably largely due to my running a heavy game or two at the same time as other stuff, but sadly those 5 minute intervals I get to play while waiting for something to load or during a meeting are often the only breaks I get, so I don't see the habit changing anytime soon.

And yes, I realize it's not a PC. My laptop has 16GB of RAM. Sadly, that also gets maxed out with some frequency, but that's a different story due to my job and poor web surfing habits.

Quote:
Knowing the $350 is your budget I say get the Moto X Pure. Now. While it's on sale for $350. BUT I would seriously suggest adding $50 and getting the 32GB one. Choose your own colors @ MotoMaker.

They are selling the special edition ones for $299 if you can wrap your head around those funky backs. If you like em, cool. If not, get a non see through case. lol

I'm seriously considering the pure. However, as you said, I'd probably want at least 32 GB, which pushes it up to $400. I'm not sure if 16 would give me enough space to download and install some of the bigger apps after there's already a bunch of stuff on my phone, even after moving what I can to the SD card.

I was completely unaware of the designer phone sale though. They're hideous, but a 32 GB version for $300 (+ a cover which I'd get anyway) may just be enough to push me over the edge!

Old 04-28-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what makes you recommend it over the G4 which I can get for about the same price, has very similar specs, and supposedly a better camera?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones