Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 08:05 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
One of the issues is it may not be worth it for the merchant, my friend owns a small hardware store. He has a huge selection of bolts and nuts of all different sizes, you can buy one that might cost as little as 10 cents. He had a customer come in and the purchase price was 50 cents, they wanted to pay with a card. He'd lose money on this sale....
That is a matter of how much the merchants likes to keep you as a customer.
Case in point.
I am a vet and Lowes hardware always offers an additional 10 percent discount on what ever I buy there.
I have a Lowes credit card I take, only if I go to Lowes, else it stays home.
Sometimes I just need a 65 cent bolt, and then Lowes lets me charge it plus give me 6 cents discount ...
I do NOT ask for the discount. They *know* me and automatically add the discount.
Heck, for what I have bought there, I should own Lowes by now !
Or ... , use your debit card, and then he does NOT loose money !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 08:08 AM

I have a *trusted* car mechanic who only accepts checks or cash.
I *know* that, so when he works on my car, I *know* how much I will owe him, and visit an ATM.

There is always a way around some *But if* situations.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:36 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Not if the key is always part of what you are wearing, such as my *Belt buckle* that has been modified *the American way*, to hold a car key ...
Seriously? I don't want a car key hanging from my belt. Espeically my key which is rather large.

As to the merchant selling 50 cents items, then said merchant could, as many do where I live, post a note: A surcharge will be added to anything under $10 if you use a credit card. MOST consumers have no issue with this as they know merchants pay fees to run cards. And do you know what those fees are? 2-3 percent. So even if you DIDN'T have a surcharge... 2 cents?

When I have my wife's car I carry ONE key fob (or forget and leave it in the car...lol). Not a key ring with umpteen keys. When I have my car, my key ring is one key and one fob to get into my office.
I love it.

I cannot recommend keyless door entry on your home enough.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
That is a matter of how much the merchants likes to keep you as a customer.
Case in point.
You don't seem to understand, he could give the product to someone and would come out ahead. It's pointless to sell something at a loss especially if small purchases like that make up a lot of your business as it does in his case.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:38 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
I have the Apple Pay and Onstar apps. One day I may replace my front door keypad lock with one that can be opened with my phone. I carry one credit card and I store change in my car for parking meters that do not accept credit cards. Done.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Seriously? I don't want a car key hanging from my belt. Especially my key which is rather large.
Peregrine ... I did mention **modified *the American way**.
I added *American* because for some reason, Americans have an uncanny way of getting around things, and thus get things done. Just my opinion of what Americans are !
With that, I meant that belt buckle I suggested contains the stuff that is required to *open* the door and start the car, etc.
The stuff that *is* needed, is really not that much. Just a small electronic board with a battery.

If you have a remote control laying around, which you can open up, you may notice, the *brains*, of that thing are really very little.

In my case, the plastic shield in front of the metal on the buckle can be snapped off.
It then reveals a small area/space, that now has the electronics of the key fob I had.
So *No Key*, just the *brains*.

So far, I have been lucky that the electronics of the Keyfob, do not have to be reprogrammed.
If that ever happens, I am out of luck, since I do not have the actual key with me.
In case of that mishap, I have a loving wife who I can call for help ...

Now, back to the original subject :
If you could trade in your keys and wallet for you cell phone would you?

Old 04-25-2016, 11:57 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Now, back to the original subject :
If you could trade in your keys and wallet for you cell phone would you?
No, there isn't a company I would trust to keep that data secure.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I have the Apple Pay and Onstar apps. One day I may replace my front door keypad lock with one that can be opened with my phone. I carry one credit card and I store change in my car for parking meters that do not accept credit cards. Done.
Do those Apps have the capability to open your door and or start your car ?
I am not familiar with those Apps, so hence my question.

Quote:
If your *phone would be able to talk to your door*, then do you want automatic door *unlocking* when you get near your door with your phone, or would you have to punch buttons on your phone first ?
Right now, if you did have to punch buttons, there are locks which can do that already without needing a phone. The lock on the door has a keypad.
Or ... , you can install the *Electronic Keyless Entry & Combination Deadbolts, Levers & Locks | Kwikset Kwikset Kevo Bluetooth Electronic Lock*

Quote:
Yes, same here, one credit card for everything, one Driver's Licence, one one debit card.
All in one security case that *protects* it from unauthorised readers ...

Winco, and one other store I shop at, only allows debit cards or cash.
The *other* store only allows the debit cards but only with a 10 dollar minimum purchase ...
At today's costs, not really hard to do, or ?

The *change* I end up with once and a while is in a special change thingy in my car.
I think it was once, in the old days, a space meant for use as a cigarette ash trash place ?
My car does come with the 12 vdc receptacles but not with a cigarette lighter, and also no ashtray ...

Old 04-25-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
No, there isn't a company I would trust to keep that data secure.
I would not either Dave, but there are ways not to lug around a whole bunch of keys, or a whole wad of cash, or whatever else.

I just have the things that *operate* my life, *on me* in one place.
My phone only is a phone with some Apps on it, which always seem to be *required* today ...
How did I live my life 20 years ago ???

Last edited by irman; 04-25-2016 at 12:38 PM..

Old 04-25-2016, 12:33 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
I would not either Dave, but there are ways not to lug around a whole bunch of keys, or a whole wad of cash, or whatever else.

I just have the things that *operate* my life, *on me* in one place.
My phone only is a phone with some Apps on it, which always seem to be *required* today ...
How did I live my life 20 years ago ???
LOL. Keys aren't a big issue for me. My car fob never has to leave my pocket (unless it's cold enough to do a remote start to warm it up), and my house/work/other keys total about 6. I want/need no cloud control for access to anything. A credit card is a good substitute for cash, I usually keep $20 or so in the wallet and go many months without needing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones