Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 12:35 PM

783 posts, read 694,365 times

Advertisements

If there was a way to create some sort of physical necessity for the phone to be near my car in order to start it, I would take the risk. I would love to have my car door unlock as I approached it. The same would be true for my house. (I don't have that yet) I doubt the govt. will make digital ID, so to some degree a back-of-the phone holder would be necessary. But car companies definitely could switch to making your car keys an app. They have already advertised putting the locks of your house on the internet so that day has already come.

I'll get imaginative. If you could enter a driverless car and your phone would automatically communicate with the car - awesome. Preset radio, preset driving directions, whatever.

I don't like carrying around a ton of stuff in my pockets so if my phone was my omni controller it would be great. I already don't like carrying cash, especially change. (Seriously you all know that you hate pennies.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 12:35 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,518 times
NO I prefer things separated.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:36 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I usually keep $20 or so in the wallet and go many months without needing it.
It is interesting to see people in front of me in the check out line who apparently do not have a credit card.
Out comes the wallet, then a wad of cash bills, and they pay.
Heck, we all did that umpteen years ago.
Something else I have noted, especially with young people at the check out register at McD for instance.
My wife still uses cash, no idea why, and I am not asking why !
But ... , when the owed amount ends up with some small number of cents, my wife pays that amount with coins.
That seems to goof up the person behind the counter often.

OK, I should be smacked for even being at McD ...
But I do like their fries, oh well.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:33 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
If there was a way to create some sort of physical necessity for the phone to be near my car in order to start it, I would take the risk. I would love to have my car door unlock as I approached it. The same would be true for my house. (I don't have that yet) I doubt the govt. will make digital ID, so to some degree a back-of-the phone holder would be necessary. But car companies definitely could switch to making your car keys an app. They have already advertised putting the locks of your house on the internet so that day has already come.

I'll get imaginative. If you could enter a driverless car and your phone would automatically communicate with the car - awesome. Preset radio, preset driving directions, whatever.

I don't like carrying around a ton of stuff in my pockets so if my phone was my omni controller it would be great. I already don't like carrying cash, especially change. (Seriously you all know that you hate pennies.)
Mrs 5150 locked her purse/phone in her car. Think about it.

She borrowed a phone. Called me. I came by with car key and unlocked the car.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:21 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
I'm not saying that it should be illegal to carry cash. And yes on a weekend trip, or anywhere far away it probably is still smart to bring cash. However plenty of people already go outside their house with only plastic to pay for whatever they have. Sure businesses and everything hasn't migrated over to plastic, but people prefer this at most places. (grocery stores, starbucks etc.) You don't have to get rid of cash completely to make it functionally obsolete. Many people don't carry around change already because it's just annoying walking around with stuff jingling in your pockets. If you could theoretically do the same with cash, it would be a major improvement to carry one item instead of three.

Of course security is the main issue with this since you could lose your phone and everything with it. So there is a trade-off. But what decision isn't?

That's real big of you to clarify that you don't think cash should be illegal.

Chuck the crap about "most people" preferring cards, too, because you've apparently never been to Wegmans (I don't charge things thar gone when the bill arrives), where the line is held up when customers are asked to "reenter" something or someone's EBT transaction won't go through and the cashier has to call a manager for a summit. Cash is readily accepted
without delay.

Cash isn't going anywhere.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:26 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Do those Apps have the capability to open your door and or start your car ?
I am not familiar with those Apps, so hence my question.

"Apple Pay" allows me to use my Iphone to pay for items at the counter. I hold the phone up to the same credit card user that others use for card transactions while touching the phone's home button. That's it. IMO, it's safer than a regular credit card because Apple assigns it a code that is unreadable to everyone, including the store clerk. (I'm not saying someone could not hack it - but it would be much more difficult than just stealing my cc information.)

The Onstar (Chevy?) app is used to remotely unlock/lock my car, start it up, adjust the climate control, etc. I admit there was a time or two that I started my car when it was parked several blocks from my office. It was so dang cold outside!

If your *phone would be able to talk to your door*, then do you want automatic door *unlocking* when you get near your door with your phone, or would you have to punch buttons on your phone first ?
Right now, if you did have to punch buttons, there are locks which can do that already without needing a phone. The lock on the door has a keypad.
Or ... , you can install the *Electronic Keyless Entry & Combination Deadbolts, Levers & Locks | Kwikset Kwikset Kevo Bluetooth Electronic Lock*

I currently have an electronic keyless entry lockset similar to one in your link. It requires punching in the numbers. I was just thinking that it might be useful/safer to unlock my front door before exiting my vehicle at night. OTOH ...

Yes, same here, one credit card for everything, one Driver's Licence, one one debit card.
All in one security case that *protects* it from unauthorised readers ...

Winco, and one other store I shop at, only allows debit cards or cash.
The *other* store only allows the debit cards but only with a 10 dollar minimum purchase ...
At today's costs, not really hard to do, or ?

The *change* I end up with once and a while is in a special change thingy in my car.
I think it was once, in the old days, a space meant for use as a cigarette ash trash place ?
My car does come with the 12 vdc receptacles but not with a cigarette lighter, and also no ashtray ...
I replaced my front door lock with the electronic keyless one about 8 years ago. I was tired of worrying I would accidentally lock myself out of the house. The worry was well founded.

Someone mentioned leaving the key fob in the vehicle? That's not possible in my vehicle unless you are stone deaf. If a door opens and the fob is in the car - within a few seconds the car emits a loud and annoying sound.

I drive a Volt. That car was made for someone like me.

ETA: Now that I think about it, I don't believe I can accidentally lock the door with the fob left inside. I'll try it tomorrow.

Last edited by lenora; 04-25-2016 at 08:34 PM..

Old 04-25-2016, 09:01 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
While I may pay for a meal with a card, I always tip the server with cash.
I own my own business and take credit cards. When people ask me how they can pay, I tell them cash, check, money order or credit cards (I tell them which cards I take), but I would prefer cash or check. Taking credit cards costs money.
I would never take a card for a very small purchase. One poster had it right, I could lose money on a sale.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:46 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I would prefer cash or check. Taking credit cards costs money.
I would never take a card for a very small purchase. One poster had it right, I could lose money on a sale.
I *think* credit card purchases *cost the seller* about 3% ?
How much does a debit card sale *cost you* ??
I heard heard that it is just a tad cheaper ?

Old 04-25-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Mrs 5150 locked her purse/phone in her car. Think about it.

She borrowed a phone. Called me. I came by with car key and unlocked the car.
That could just as easily been solved by both of you having the app on your phone. It would be virtually the exact same story.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That's real big of you to clarify that you don't think cash should be illegal.

Chuck the crap about "most people" preferring cards, too, because you've apparently never been to Wegmans (I don't charge things thar gone when the bill arrives), where the line is held up when customers are asked to "reenter" something or someone's EBT transaction won't go through and the cashier has to call a manager for a summit. Cash is readily accepted
without delay.

Cash isn't going anywhere.
You have to quote Wegmans to get that argument to work. There are so many places outside of Wegmans that its seems pretty obvious that people prefer cards. Over time more and more people migrate towards cards and away from cash.

Fax machines are still around too, but no one really uses them. The postal service still sends snail mail, but most people prefer email. There will always be some niche use for something. But by and large a better format replaces the former. This is especially true as the next generation finds it simply easier to use less to get more done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones