U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2016, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
13,125 posts, read 15,227,464 times
Reputation: 9207

Advertisements

OH I love the LG G Series too. I nearly got one myself. I got a Turbo 2 instead for the shatterproof screen.

I like the Pure because a) I like Moto and b) the Pure Android experience.

You can't go wrong with the G4 either. It's excellent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2016, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Florida & Cebu, Philippines
2,808 posts, read 2,747,064 times
Reputation: 2896
If the op needs a phone that works on T-Mobile then best to buy one made for them since their phones have wifi calling built in. T-Mobile prepaid phones can be bought pretty reasonable at stores like Walmart and all a person has to do is put in their sim card and you should be good to go....


(Sorry mods, I had to use an ip program to access Walmart from where I am, the Philippines, and forgot to shut it off before posting)

Last edited by Mr. Lee; 04-28-2016 at 05:20 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2016, 08:48 AM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
5,005 posts, read 3,487,795 times
Reputation: 5893
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamon View Post
Even with the 3GB on the Oneplus One I run out of RAM. You can tell when you switch to an app you had open recently and it reloads rather than immediately jumping back to where you were. This is probably largely due to my running a heavy game or two at the same time as other stuff, but sadly those 5 minute intervals I get to play while waiting for something to load or during a meeting are often the only breaks I get, so I don't see the habit changing anytime soon.
Ahh... I guess we all get different uses from out smart phones. I don't play games, ever. I 'gamed' out many years ago. Even at 6" my screen is to small for me to stare at it for too long. I use it for calls, text, photos, music, notes, reminders. etc. Just day to day stuff.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2016, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
13,125 posts, read 15,227,464 times
Reputation: 9207
Moto X Pure on sale AGAIN at Motomaker.com for Mother's Day. Motorola always does a Mothers Day sale.
Now it's $100 off instead of $50.
$299 with the Design Your Own option for the 16GB.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2016, 08:59 PM
 
Location: California
635 posts, read 472,707 times
Reputation: 550
It's a bit of an odd suggestion but you might want to check out the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro. It's a Chinese phone, but the overall build quality is pretty great and the specs are competitive. The processor is the new Snapdragon 650, which is as good or possibly better than the Snapdragon 808 that is found in the Nexus 5x and Moto X Pure.

It's not officially sold through the US, but it can be bought through various resellers on Ebay and beyond. The version with 3GB RAM and 32GB (expandable) storage seems to be around $220-240. I'm pretty sure it'll work on T-Mobile's 4G, but don't quote me on it. The drawback will be that it likely won't be a plug-and-play experience. The phone might come in Chinese and not have the google play store installed, so you may have to flash the stock ROM. It's not the simplest thing to do, so if you're not fond of having tweak the phone before using then you might want to look elsewhere. But if you're willing to spend the time then it's probably the best value out there.

Also, try checking out Ebay for refurbished/overstock phones. There's often like-new phones for sale there for real cheap.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2016, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Seminole, FL
532 posts, read 901,436 times
Reputation: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
It's a bit of an odd suggestion but you might want to check out the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro. It's a Chinese phone, but the overall build quality is pretty great and the specs are competitive. The processor is the new Snapdragon 650, which is as good or possibly better than the Snapdragon 808 that is found in the Nexus 5x and Moto X Pure.

It's not officially sold through the US, but it can be bought through various resellers on Ebay and beyond. The version with 3GB RAM and 32GB (expandable) storage seems to be around $220-240. I'm pretty sure it'll work on T-Mobile's 4G, but don't quote me on it. The drawback will be that it likely won't be a plug-and-play experience. The phone might come in Chinese and not have the google play store installed, so you may have to flash the stock ROM. It's not the simplest thing to do, so if you're not fond of having tweak the phone before using then you might want to look elsewhere. But if you're willing to spend the time then it's probably the best value out there.

Also, try checking out Ebay for refurbished/overstock phones. There's often like-new phones for sale there for real cheap.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was considering that as well. My understanding is that those Chinese phones not intended for sale in the US don't work with most (any?) of our 4G bands, which is important to me. I was also under the impression that the 6xx line of processors was a more budget line than any of the 8xx series, and that even newer 6xxs would be a step down from even the 801 in the Oneplus One. Admittedly, I didn't go out of my way to see benchmarks for this, but I remember reading that somewhere.

I ended up with an X Pure. I got one of the designer series that was on sale to clear out inventory. I don't particularly like the back, but I'm getting an opaque case so I don't have to see it. It cost $300 for the 32 GB version and I recently bought a 128 GB micro SD for $33 or so on Amazon, so I think I'll be good with storage.

I've only had the phone a couple days and so far I'm liking it. Some of the Motorola specific features are nice, like the twist twice to open the camera. I definitely miss the double-tap to wake on the Oneplus, and the design and build quality of the Oneplus felt better to me as well. The extra bezeling at the top and bottom of the X Pure make the phone feel a lot bulkier than it needs to. Still, I'm enjoying it and appreciate the recommendations!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2016, 01:10 AM
 
Location: California
635 posts, read 472,707 times
Reputation: 550
Solid choice. Can't really go wrong with the Moto X Pure for 300 bucks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamon View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I was considering that as well. My understanding is that those Chinese phones not intended for sale in the US don't work with most (any?) of our 4G bands, which is important to me.
That's true most of the time, but from what I can tell the Redmi Note 3 Pro supports the main 4G bands needed for T-Mobile. At least I think it does, I may be wrong here.
Quote:
I was also under the impression that the 6xx line of processors was a more budget line than any of the 8xx series, and that even newer 6xxs would be a step down from even the 801 in the Oneplus One. Admittedly, I didn't go out of my way to see benchmarks for this, but I remember reading that somewhere.
The new 650 and 652 are sort of odd ducks, in a good way. The other 6xx processors only have the slower A53 cores, while the 650 and 652 have two or four A72 cores, respectively, for intensive tasks, as well as four A53 cores for less intensive tasks. This is also the core configuration the 808 and 810 use, except the A72 is an improved version of the A57 found in the Snapdragon 808 and 810. So these new processors have impressive performance, especially when compared to the other 6xx processors. Their graphics units are also based on a new architecture, and their graphics performance is comparable to the snapdragon 808.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2016, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Seminole, FL
532 posts, read 901,436 times
Reputation: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
Solid choice. Can't really go wrong with the Moto X Pure for 300 bucks.



That's true most of the time, but from what I can tell the Redmi Note 3 Pro supports the main 4G bands needed for T-Mobile. At least I think it does, I may be wrong here.


The new 650 and 652 are sort of odd ducks, in a good way. The other 6xx processors only have the slower A53 cores, while the 650 and 652 have two or four A72 cores, respectively, for intensive tasks, as well as four A53 cores for less intensive tasks. This is also the core configuration the 808 and 810 use, except the A72 is an improved version of the A57 found in the Snapdragon 808 and 810. So these new processors have impressive performance, especially when compared to the other 6xx processors. Their graphics units are also based on a new architecture, and their graphics performance is comparable to the snapdragon 808.
Thanks for the info. It would have been worth a more serious look then, but I'm pretty happy with the X Pure for now. From what I'm reading, I may consider getting a Oneplus 3 when it comes out, especially if I can still get a really good price for my X Pure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top