Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 01:42 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times

Advertisements

Hi, folks!

June is back again (I can hear the groans!) but I have a question regarding my cell phone.

Now that I have safeguarded my computer from my relative that was hacking me, am concerned about my cell phone, as I've been told that she can STILL read my emails off of my cell, and hack into my cell. (Is that true?)

What do you all suggest? What modifications should I make to my smartphone to prevent her accessing it?

My ultimate goal is that this relative can have NO MEANS OF ACCESS to anything that I write. (And my emails show up on my cell.)

Thanks SO MUCH! I hope I'm not being an illiterate pest, but you guys are so much more knowledgeable than I, and were of tremendous help in the last thread I posted in this forum!

Am just trying to safe proof my privacy so that this whacky relative CANNOT read anything that I write!

Thanks in advance, and thanks once again for putting up with (high tech illiterate) me!....

Take gentle care,
~June

P.S. Honest to God, there's a reason that individuals over a certain age should NOT have access to technology, LOL!!!!

Last edited by june 7th; 05-12-2016 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 02:37 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
First, have you ever left your cell phone anywhere with them or let them use your phone, so that they could install a program on it? If so, you need to do a master reset and then reinstall everything.

Second, have you ever opened an email with your phone that looked like this "check this out" with just a link? Those types are most often Trojans even when they come from an address and name that looks like that of a friend. If any email does not feel right to you, then never click on the link in it, nowadays I hardly ever click on links in emails unless there is a description of what the link is for and it came from a friend. I have even called friends to ask them if they sent the emails before opening it, if it looked in anyway shady.

If the answer is no to those then you seem to be worrying for nothing. Maybe you need to stop writing anything that you would not wish anyone to see, nothing on the internet is totally safe from prying eyes. If a person writes anything online, they should do so with the idea that it can be read by others.

To me it seems like you are getting a bit paranoid, possibly someone is feeding you info to try to mess with your head, could that be?

Anyway my suggestion, if none of the above is the case, change email addresses and never give those to anyone who would give them to your enemies, thus these people would not even know your email address, no less your password. Use a password from a book or newspaper article or from a TV show that they do not know you watch and be sure to add letters and numbers and ? or $ or # within it if allowed by the provider

Also if your phone is an android, then it never hurts to install the free avg, go to the play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ntivirus&hl=en If an iphone then find one on their site to use.

Hope you get it all worked out.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
First, have you ever left your cell phone anywhere with them or let them use your phone, so that they could install a program on it? If so, you need to do a master reset and then reinstall everything.

Second, have you ever opened an email with your phone that looked like this "check this out" with just a link? Those types are most often Trojans even when they come from an address and name that looks like that of a friend. If any email does not feel right to you, then never click on the link in it, nowadays I hardly ever click on links in emails unless there is a description of what the link is for and it came from a friend. I have even called friends to ask them if they sent the emails before opening it, if it looked in anyway shady.

If the answer is no to those then you seem to be worrying for nothing. Maybe you need to stop writing anything that you would not wish anyone to see, nothing on the internet is totally safe from prying eyes. If a person writes anything online, they should do so with the idea that it can be read by others.

To me it seems like you are getting a bit paranoid, possibly someone is feeding you info to try to mess with your head, could that be?

Anyway my suggestion, if none of the above is the case, change email addresses and never give those to anyone who would give them to your enemies, thus these people would not even know your email address, no less your password. Use a password from a book or newspaper article or from a TV show that they do not know you watch and be sure to add letters and numbers and ? or $ or # within it if allowed by the provider

Also if your phone is an android, then it never hurts to install the free avg, go to the play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ntivirus&hl=en If an iphone then find one on their site to use.

Hope you get it all worked out.
Thanks so much for responding, Mr. Lee. In response to your questions, the answers are "No." No one uses the phone but me, and I don't open anything that looks suspicious. --So you maybe right: That I am paranoid!

However, (in my own illiterate defense!) I have been told that it wouldn't be difficult for this relative to hack my cell phone. She is also SO vindictive, that she'd make just about anyone
paranoid!.....

Have considered changing my email addy, but it would be SUCH a PITA to do so. I have a lot of contacts; friends as well as professional ones. The last thing I want to do at this point is to have to change my email addy....I currently have a new password that NO ONE would ever figure out. Of that, I am very confident.

I don't have an android. It's an iphone that is about 6 years old, which I don't use often.

Thanks again for your advice! I truly appreciate it!

~June

Old 05-13-2016, 08:36 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Average people can't just hack into a cell phone at will. I'm curious if you went to the police concerning the unauthorized access to your computer?

Old 05-13-2016, 09:59 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
Changing an email address is easy, you could even change one to another AOL account if you wished to, then make the current one your secondary and the new one your master, that way she could never change your password no matter what she knew unless you make your questions easy for her to figure out.

For the new one, use your current email address and add something to it, such as if it is june 7th then make the new one thejune7th or onejune7th or anything along those lines, you can save your favorite places and move them to the other account easily and send out an email to your new address with all your contacts and notify only those you wish to and tell them of your new email address, easy and keep the old one in case you missed anyone.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:34 AM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Average people can't just hack into a cell phone at will. I'm curious if you went to the police concerning the unauthorized access to your computer?
I am not completely sure if that was the case. There are many ways to find some details about a person (especially one who is not computer literate) to make that person paranoid.
OP might post some personal stuff on blogs or social media, directly or indirectly (through OP's friends on social media.) After a while, when you know someone, many things they do are also predictable.
If her relative is playing mind games, a bits and pieces put together could be enough to "appear" that she actually hacked into OP's computer, to raise terror and make her paranoid. Lots of info is public, and her relative could be closely following OP on the net. (maybe set up a filter with notifications regarding related info). OP might not know how easy it is, for a resourceful person, to find all kinds of info on the Internet, without actually hacking to a computer.

I wonder why is that person so interested in OP's life, to make her life miserable? Maybe it's all just in OP's head? Maybe her relative just planted a seed there, and is feeding on it?
Hacking and following up it's time consuming, cost some money too. It's also a criminal act, if caught on doing that. If her relative has at least some sense, carrier and personal life - she would not devote her time to terrorize someone just for fun...

Old 05-13-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Thanks, NHDave! No, I didn't go to the police over the hacking of my computer....

Old 05-13-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am not completely sure if that was the case. There are many ways to find some details about a person (especially one who is not computer literate) to make that person paranoid.
OP might post some personal stuff on blogs or social media, directly or indirectly (through OP's friends on social media.) After a while, when you know someone, many things they do are also predictable.
If her relative is playing mind games, a bits and pieces put together could be enough to "appear" that she actually hacked into OP's computer, to raise terror and make her paranoid. Lots of info is public, and her relative could be closely following OP on the net. (maybe set up a filter with notifications regarding related info). OP might not know how easy it is, for a resourceful person, to find all kinds of info on the Internet, without actually hacking to a computer.

I wonder why is that person so interested in OP's life, to make her life miserable? Maybe it's all just in OP's head? Maybe her relative just planted a seed there, and is feeding on it?
Hacking and following up it's time consuming, cost some money too. It's also a criminal act, if caught on doing that. If her relative has at least some sense, carrier and personal life - she would not devote her time to terrorize someone just for fun...
Thanks!

P.S. Trust me, it's not just all in my head. I wish it were! This relative is just a very angry and vindictive person who adamantly disagrees on how my 88 year old mother should be managed....We disagree, so she is spiteful, as she ALWAYS feels that SHE is right!

Old 05-13-2016, 10:56 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,082 times
Oh dear! First of all what sort phone you have? Android , Iphone, windows, I can tell you what to do if I know your operating system.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:55 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times
change your email address, put a lock on your phone so you have to enter a password or pin # to access it. don't change your email to something similar to what you have or else she can figure it out.

i really don't think she has hacked your computer. i think you're overly worried for nothing lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones