Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 11:41 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,490,456 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I've been a long T-Mobile customer for around 5 years, and I've come to the conclusion that is time to move on to another carrier. No bad things to say about T-Mo but their lack of cell towers make it hard for me to have conversations since I live in a near rural area in miami. Some times calls don't come in but a few hours later the voice message of the person that called me a few hours ago comes in.

Some of my text messages aren't sent as fast as it should be. I have an iPhone, and when I'm having conversations with another person with an iPhone the messages don't send as iMessage and are sent as regular texts. It's not really a phone issue but a carrier issue. I've been told that either AT&T and Verizon are the best, pricy but the best when it comes to cell reception and fast/reliable data. Can you guys throw me a bone on which should I choose? I'm currently done with T-Mobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 06:18 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,433 times
It will depend on which one works best in the areas you travel, Verizon is supposed to have the most coverage and then maybe AT&T. Now as far as AT&T, we live east in Fort Lauderdale and AT&T is great on the east side of town but when I go west even just to University Drive then T-Mobile is better, I have AT&T and my wife has T-Mobile so I can compare.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:24 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
No bad things to say about T-Mo but their lack of cell towers make it hard for me to have conversations since I live in a near rural area in miami.
My brother has same issue with T-Mo, but he is in urban locations mostly. He doesn't want to give up the prices.

Verizon Prepaid is generally cheaper than Verizon Postpaid, but there are some roaming areas. Check the map
https://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/d...veragelocator/

Cricket Wireless offers voice, text, and data and is a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&T Inc. As I understand it, the only difference is slightly slower data speed. But Cricket just introduced an unlimited data plan in April.
Download speeds max of 8Mbps (LTE)/4Mbps(4G). Mobile Hotspot feature not avail. Activ./upgrade (up to $25) & add'l fees & restr's apply. Terms, features & restr's subject to change. Coverage not avail. everywhere. Auto Pay: First mo. $70. $5 credit applied upon enrollment in Auto Pay.

As I understand it T-Mobile is $95/mo. for a phone with unlimited 4G data, which I assume is at considerably faster speeds than Cricket.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 06-05-2016 at 11:34 AM..

Old 06-06-2016, 03:33 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
If one doesn't plan to leave urban areas, any carrier will do. Otherwise go with ATT or Verizon (or their subsidiaries).

I've looked into Cricket. For us, not worth the $$$ savings. We have ATT 5 gig plan, two lines $100. Plus speeds up to 30 megs, no being slowed to 2g speeds if we go over our plan limit and having a hotspot means I can use my iPad anywhere and not pay $10 extra per month for data access.

Last edited by Mr5150; 06-06-2016 at 03:46 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 08:18 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
You could try Tracfone, which has both ATT and Verizon service. That way if one doesn't work well, you can just switch to the other (but you would have to get another phone, unless you have one that does both GSM and CDMA).

Old 06-10-2016, 06:28 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
I use Tracfone, for $100 a year (light usage). My current phone uses the Verizon network, either that or the ATT would work in my area of spotty reception. One of my Tracfones used T Mobile and that wasn't good at all in this location.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:10 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
The best carrier for you is the one that gives you signal where you go and need to use your phone. Everything else is gravy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones