Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 06:17 AM

997 posts, read 937,105 times

Advertisements

I switched to Straighttalk from Verizon. We had a family plan for many years and it took a long time to get out of contract. It was way too expensive and my friend had Straighttalk and his phone worked just as good as mine did. I said "Hey"...."Your phone works just as good as mine does"...

A time came when I had an issue, so I made the switch. We had 3 phones and it was hard to get the numbers switched over, but it was possible. It just took work and patience to deal with the people. It is much cheaper and the data is not limited. I do not like limited.

In your case you signed a contract so I would probably stick that one out, and then switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 08:39 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
Pre-paid is typically a lot cheaper than post-paid service.

There are 4 national carriers in the US - Sprint, T-mobile, AT&T, Verizon.

I've tried them all. Verizon / AT&T typically are the best at fast data coverage (LTE), Sprint has better voice / 3g (slower data) coverage in comparison, and T-mobile was spotty for me, especially outside of cities.

You can check your cell coverage at each of the carrier's websites, or at sites like sensorly.com, which will tell you relative coverage at your home / work.

After determining which carrier works for you, then look at the prepaid offerings. Google "best prepaid service" and you'll get reviews on them. They will save you tons of money in the long run.

I had post-paid service when there were 2 year contracts and I got $300+ discounts on flagship phones. Now that 2 year contracts are mostly gone, and you don't get discounts on flagship phones any more, there is no reason to use post-paid service, unless you need roaming mostly.

You will save a ton of money with pre-paid, and get about the same level of service.

Here's a tech blogger that I follow who writes about why he likes Cricket: Why I ditched T-Mobile for Cricket Wireless - CNET
AT&T gives go phone customers roaming in nebraska and part of wyoming

Old 08-02-2016, 12:29 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
If you read my comment correctly you'll see it says that I have to pay sprint back $300 first to cancel my thing with them. So for now, that's why.

Then it's $160 for me to get my old s4 fixed. If rather do that cause it has A LOT of Stuff on it (songs mostly).

Plan on it when I get paid but until then I'm lookin for companies to switch to.

A little mad cause us cellular looked awesome but they're not in my area
What's wrong with the S4? Even replacing the entire display (not just the glass) should cost no more than $100. If you had auto backup set to on with your google account your stuff should be backed up. The only problem is the iphone. Apple and Android don't share a google account (obviously). What if you tell Sprint you want another phone and keep the same account? That will eliminate the termination fee. They may not allow it. That is the problem with contracts and nowadays nobody should sign a contract when the alternative is SO much better. Unlocked S4's and S5's go for under $200 as mentioned, Then all you need is to go to your nearest cricket store and for as low as $35 a month (with auto pay) you can have 2.5gb data, unlimited text and talk. The only problem is that Sprint is on CDMA and AT&T, T-Mobile, Straight Talk and Cricket all use GSM (different technology). The phones are not compatible. With an Apple however that does not matter, but as I understand it you don't like the Apple?

Old 08-03-2016, 07:25 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
If you had auto backup set to on with your google account your stuff should be backed up.
The one thing Google doesn't really backup is music.
Still, pretty easy to move that stuff to a new phone.

Quote:
The only problem is the iphone. Apple and Android don't share a google account (obviously).
Google has released just about all their apps for iPhone. It's pretty easy to live in Googles world on an iPhone these days. They even put out Google Now assistant on iPhone (which surprised me when they did it). I thought they would keep that for themselves...O wait... they aren't Apple.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:42 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
If you read my comment correctly you'll see it says that I have to pay sprint back $300 first to cancel my thing with them. So for now, that's why.

Then it's $160 for me to get my old s4 fixed. If rather do that cause it has A LOT of Stuff on it (songs mostly).

Plan on it when I get paid but until then I'm lookin for companies to switch to.

A little mad cause us cellular looked awesome but they're not in my area
I think all of the carrier will pay your ETF if you switch and port your number to them.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:30 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Nope. Only the 'little guys'. Sprint and T-Mobile. VZW and ATT do not.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:04 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Nope. Only the 'little guys'. Sprint and T-Mobile. VZW and ATT do not.
Verizon will pay your ETF if you switch. Not sure about AT&T, but I think they do too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones