Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 01:04 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
I think that open network rule only applies to the LTE network (and might only apply to Band 13 at that). I'm pretty sure the can do whatever they want with the CDMA/EVDO network.
Are you talking about a phone that is just CDMA? In that case, you might be right. CDMA phones that aren't LTE have to be activated by the carrier and Verizon does not have to activate a phone, even LTE, that does not pass certification. With LTE phones you just swap the SIM on Verizon. Under your account management the phone will say non Verizon phone or something to that effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 01:51 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Found it. It was the Moto X Pure Edition.

But you were right. As it says near the end "of course you could just swap in your Nano SIM"...

Verizon Will Allow You to Activate the Moto X Pure Edition | Droid Life

Old 09-01-2016, 02:26 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Are you talking about a phone that is just CDMA? In that case, you might be right. CDMA phones that aren't LTE have to be activated by the carrier and Verizon does not have to activate a phone, even LTE, that does not pass certification. With LTE phones you just swap the SIM on Verizon. Under your account management the phone will say non Verizon phone or something to that effect.
I'm talking about a CDMA/LTE phone...yeah, the LTE portion might work if you swap a SIM in, but the CDMA portion won't. And if the VoLTE doesn't work right and/or you're in an area where VoLTE isn't set up yet, then the CDMA has to work or the phone can't be allowed to work. That's why despite all the positive press Verizon is buyin....er, announcing, they're still very hit-or-miss when it comes to unlocked LTE devices.

On the other hand, at least they're not AT&T, who's voice quality is true to their name, harkening back to the telegraph days.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:54 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
I'm talking about a CDMA/LTE phone...yeah, the LTE portion might work if you swap a SIM in, but the CDMA portion won't. And if the VoLTE doesn't work right and/or you're in an area where VoLTE isn't set up yet, then the CDMA has to work or the phone can't be allowed to work. That's why despite all the positive press Verizon is buyin....er, announcing, they're still very hit-or-miss when it comes to unlocked LTE devices.

On the other hand, at least they're not AT&T, who's voice quality is true to their name, harkening back to the telegraph days.
If the phone supports LTE then all you have to do is swap the SIM. Verizon will not activate the phone unless it is certified, but you can use it and the CDMA radio will work as long the correct bands are equipped. None of this means that the phone is guaranteed to work perfectly, however.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:16 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
I don't think you have any evidence to back up that claim. I currently use Verizon but never had issues with my At&t phone in my area. Each user may have a different experience in their own market but your statement is false in my experience.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:02 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I don't think you have any evidence to back up that claim. I currently use Verizon but never had issues with my At&t phone in my area. Each user may have a different experience in their own market but your statement is false in my experience.
My evidence is my experience with my own AT&T service before I switched to T-Mobile, and that of my family, all of whom are still on AT&T, with horrible audio quality. Even on VoLTE. Granted VoLTE is an improvement over their HSPA audio quality, but when compared with a landline (much less T-Mobile) it's still not all that good.

AT&T's corporate policy has always been to load down their network as much as possible to extract as much value from it as they can. That allows them to provide similar coverage to Verizon at a slightly cheaper dollar cost. It's not necessarily a "bad" decision per-se, but I don't like it and it's one of the reasons they lost me as a customer.

Different markets having different licenses and capacity available, of course experiences in different areas can vary. Your market may have more available capacity and may be configured to take advantage of it. But in my market this is the way things are.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:29 PM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Is 600-800 for a top line smart phone really that expensive? Think about it for a bit and the roll back the clock a decade or two.

What would you spend on the following

A cell phone
A small computer with mobile Internet capability(handheld no less)
A high quality camera
A decent quality video recorder
A daytimer
This. mid-30s here, so when I think of 20/25 years ago for christmas / birthdays I would get:

- a cassette walkman
- a game boy
- CDs
- video games
- A Mini-Hi Fi system

No cellphone then, but the current smartphones serve a lot of purposes when you think about it. Seeing teenagers, they use it to call / text / play games / browse the internet / make videos / listen to music and probably other stuff too. A smartphone from today does a lot more stuff than my father's ms-dos computer back in 1992, so I understand the most efficient ones would be costly. I don't know how much my family paid for my old walkman / Hi-fi system / game boy but it probably was a quite a bit, and CDs were not free either. Except now people pay for one thing, so it feels like a lot of money for something you might lose every day.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:00 AM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,137 times
iPhone 7 will be out this week & lots of people will be throwing money that way. I prefer to buy used but I have no problem with people paying $600-$800 plus.

People pay way more than that for car repairs because they bought an unreliable car. A phone is with you all day long & is a huge part of your productivity. I'm an unorganized, grouchy, mess without my phone.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:24 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That's not quite true. Verizon cannot prevent you from using a compatible phone on their network. If the phone manufacturer does not pay for certification then Verizon does not have to activate it, but they can't prevent you from using it. All you have to do is insert an active Verizon SIM card and you are good to go. Not too many manufacturers pay for the certification though.
I thought Verizon doesn't use SIM cards?

Old 09-03-2016, 11:27 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
iPhone 7 will be out this week & lots of people will be throwing money that way. I prefer to buy used but I have no problem with people paying $600-$800 plus.

People pay way more than that for car repairs because they bought an unreliable car. A phone is with you all day long & is a huge part of your productivity. I'm an unorganized, grouchy, mess without my phone.
With iPhones, you typically have to wait around 3 years or more before the prices come down far enough to be worth it. You could get a used iPhone for cheaper, but then you do need to deal with issues there. Some of them can be good, although you may want to pay somebody to replace the battery.

And with the Iph7 having the 3.5mm headphone jack removed, I'm not so sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones