Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 02:52 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,362,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
And no, im not okay with $30K midsize cars and $25K small cars, in which it is another example of manufacturers jacking up the price because they know people will just get 72-84 month loans to pay for it. Today's cars are atleast $5000 overpriced.
Mitsubishi Mirage and Nissan Versa both cost under $13k new. The Mitsu even comes with a 100k mile warranty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 10:04 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
project fi, right? I was on that for awhile, I had the Nexus 5x and returned it. T-mobile reception was spotty even inside grocery stores and when that happens project fi is supposed to automatically switch to Sprint but at least on the phone I had, it would take 10-20 minutes of zero T-mobile coverage before it would switch to Sprint. I love the concept of Project-fi but it just didn't work out for me.
I bought it through Project Fi (cheaper device, unfortunately my data consumption makes the actual service cost-prohibitive) but have actually been using it with my T Mobile SIM.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:06 AM

42,764 posts, read 26,041,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I bought it through Project Fi (cheaper device, unfortunately my data consumption makes the actual service cost-prohibitive) but have actually been using it with my T Mobile SIM.
has reception indoors been ok?

Old 08-15-2016, 10:21 PM

1,050 posts, read 503,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Q: Why do new smartphones cost $600 - $800?

A: Because They Can
A common theme: charge what the market will bear. If you have a life-saving drug that produces a nice profit at $13.50 for a pill, you can raise the price to $750 because "they" will pay it.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bought+a+d...ne=form&ia=web

Old 08-16-2016, 09:34 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,105,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Mitsubishi Mirage and Nissan Versa both cost under $13k new. The Mitsu even comes with a 100k mile warranty!
Yeah get get into a wreck with the Mitsu and they will probably take that tiny car to the emergency room with you too.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:57 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,557,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
As long as people keep paying those prices, they will keep charging it.

Prices will come down when people stop buying.
If they weren't "financing" them instead of making people pay cash for them, all in lieu of a 2 year subsidized contract.

People said "no more contracts!" Which meant that the companies can't subsidize them with an extended contract. Now, you finance the whole cost of the phone, over 2-3 years, which you would have to pay in full if you broke the financing agreement to go with another carrier.

Same as the the old contract breaking rules on service.

A horse by another name.....

Old 08-16-2016, 01:20 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,712,149 times
There is one reason that cell phones, and new life saving drugs cost so much.

REASON: R & D costs a lot of money. (Research and Development). The average R&D cost for a new miracle drug is ONE BILLION DOLLARS. The company has to recover this before they can take any profit.

Imagine their market for the first year is 10,000 pills. So $1,000,000 divided by 10,000. That means they would have to charge a total of 10,000 to recover investment, plus the cost to make the pills, plus advertising to get it selling, reps to call on the doctors, etc., plus a reasonable profit, and all related cost. That figure when finally computed, will when divided by 10,000 will determine what the pill will cost the consumer.

Same for a new smart phone. It is not what a phone costs to build. They have all the costs are satisfied the other costs
will be all determined, they can determine the price to sell the pill for.

It is reported that iPads are bought from the Factory cost $29 to build. It is all the same for other items sold to consumers.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:59 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
has reception indoors been ok?
No worse than my iPhone. If anything it's actually slightly better, probably thanks to the whole thing being plastic.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:58 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,454,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
No worse than my iPhone. If anything it's actually slightly better, probably thanks to the whole thing being plastic.
The whole "plastic is bad, metal is good" on cell phones discussion I've seen all around has gotten out of hand. Metal isn't that much more expensive, but folks are acting like it's some rare, earth metal. It's like how in olden' days, train tickets in first class had shelter, but 2nd class was open top. It wouldn't cost that that much more to put in a roof, but they wanted to incentivize passengers to pay for first class.

Plus, metal blocks radio signals, deforms when subject to higher impacts, and doesn't allow for phones with user replaceable batteries and expansion slots.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:26 PM

15,116 posts, read 32,209,073 times
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 that I bought in May of 2015, and it now has to be replaced. The battery stopped holding a charge, I bought a new battery, and it has the same problem, plus people are complaining about an echo when they talk to me.

I have insurance on it, but when I tell T-Mobile that the camera lens is cracked, they'll probably want to charge me full price for another S5, so I might as well go get an S6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones