Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 05:43 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
We get great coverage with AT&T here and have no complaints. We were on a family contract together, but I added her on my contract after I started my individual plan, so she still has a few months to go before she fulfills her obligations of the contract. We both want to go prepaid after that. AT&T's prepaid plans are much cheaper than their Next plans and their old postpaid plan rates, and we can get individual prepaid plans with unlimited everything plus 3GB data each for $45/month ($40 with autopay).

I am staying with AT&T regardless because I can't port my number to another carrier, but we looked into switching to TMobile for her. We soon changed our mind about that when TMobile announced a new pricing structure that is great for data hogs and bad news for people who don't use a lot of data like us:

T-Mobile strikes a nerve with move to single unlimited data plan - CNET

It's very odd that with these price changes TMobile would end up being MORE expensive for us than AT&T. We got angry about this because with this one size fits all (and it doesn't) pricing structure, people who don't use a lot of data are in essence subsidizing the customers who use tons of data. When they announced the changes, we changed our minds and decided we would both stick with AT&T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
You can't get angry since each service is allowed to choose their customers. Every service has customers who are losing out somewhere. T-mobile is not a profitable business, and they are simply moving to a profitable position.

Sure I can. I can get angry about anything I want. Whether the anger is justifiable or not is another matter. And I believe my ire is justifiable. People who use less shouldn't have to pay the same amount as people who use more. It would be the same as charging me $9 whether I get 3 dozen eggs or 20 dozen. And no, there don't have to be any customers who are "losing out." Tiered plans are designed to charge people more if they use more data, which is a logical pricing structure. If you use more, you pay more. Fortunately, we have competition, so I have choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 06:03 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
People who use less shouldn't have to pay the same amount as people who use more. It would be the same as charging me $9 whether I get 3 dozen eggs or 20 dozen. And no, there don't have to be any customers who are "losing out." Tiered plans are designed to charge people more if they use more data, which is a logical pricing structure. If you use more, you pay more. Fortunately, we have competition, so I have choices.
Verizon punishes the hell out of single users since last November. If a single user wanted to simply talk on the Verizon network it is now a minimum of $55 a month + taxes and fees. If you are running an office with four people who need to talk the cost is $115 a month. Now prepaid is $30 for unlimited talk, but instead of having that as an option, you need to go through hours of holding on a line while they transfer you around to switch. I've done it twice.

It seems to me T-mobile is the last of the big four to get around to smacking the single phone low level user. I think they feel as if they sell bulk bandwidth to the resellers, and that customers need to go to them to accommodate low level use.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:43 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
I pay $80 for 2 lines on Tmobile with 6GB each. You never pay over usage, Tmobile just move you to 3G speeds which never happens for me.

I find ATT the shadiest service, on their service I'm constantly shown that my lines are near 3GB of usage each month even though I don't stream video or music. On Tmobile, my usage is only at 1.2GB average monthly. So something tells me that ATT is not correct with calculating my usage. I had to pay $10 surcharge for over-usage on ATT a few times which caused my bill to spike up to $150.

Now for Tmobile I only pay $80 and never more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones