Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 10:00 AM

648 posts, read 1,174,729 times

Advertisements

Warning to iProduct users: Hackers can now get into your system through iCloud, engage 'Lost iPhone/iPad' and find your phone/pad, put a lock on it, and lock you out of your devices. All within a few minutes before you even know what's happening. They can also wipe out all your info from your iCloud. Beware-- no matter what you do, iPhones/Pads/Clouds/etc are NOT safe. So backing up to the Cloud is clearly not the answer either. And the so-called 'geniuses' can't always help you.. they are really just glorified sales people. They are often completely clueless about these issues.. but they can always sell you a NEW phone/pad/laptop/ etc. It's utterly maddening.

Anyone had this happen and what did you do? Were you able to recover your data?

No lectures, put-downs or arguments, please- just having a discussion here..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 03:48 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
Warning to iProduct users: Hackers can now get into your system through iCloud, engage 'Lost iPhone/iPad' and find your phone/pad, put a lock on it, and lock you out of your devices. All within a few minutes before you even know what's happening. They can also wipe out all your info from your iCloud. Beware-- no matter what you do, iPhones/Pads/Clouds/etc are NOT safe. So backing up to the Cloud is clearly not the answer either. And the so-called 'geniuses' can't always help you.. they are really just glorified sales people. They are often completely clueless about these issues.. but they can always sell you a NEW phone/pad/laptop/ etc. It's utterly maddening.

Anyone had this happen and what did you do? Were you able to recover your data?

No lectures, put-downs or arguments, please- just having a discussion here..

Do you have a source? There is currently no way to do what you are describing.

Unless you are talking about Pegasus, but Apple already patched that.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:32 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Or you could set up dual factor security. There's no such thing as infallible security, but iCould is very good in that regard. If you didn't bother setting up security you can't really fault Apple or iCloud for that. They provide, for a consumer grade product, what amounts to excellent security. If you do something stupid like give someone your Apple ID and password, there's still the second layer. The Genius thing is stupid but it's just marketing like Best Buy's geek squad. They're basically just high school graduates (maybe) who are fairly tech savvy.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:52 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Phishing is the only way this can happen.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:29 PM

Thanks for the replies.. actually it happened to me, and if you look online it's happened to others too. There was no phishing.. I never respond to questionable texts, I just delete. Never gave out AID & password. Or used the same pw for anything else. The Apple folks can't even explain how it happened. They told me this is 'extremely rare' ..even though there's people who've posted about this exact thing online, even on their support forum(!).
As for dual factor security, the Apple people advised not to do that, because if something like this happened again it would make it too complicated to get back into your phone/account.. so it kind of defeats the purpose.
What I don't get is if this is happening, why does Apple seem to know nothing about it..? Or are they just playing dumb to keep people in the dark about it..?

Old 08-28-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.. actually it happened to me, and if you look online it's happened to others too. There was no phishing.. I never respond to questionable texts, I just delete. Never gave out AID & password. Or used the same pw for anything else. The Apple folks can't even explain how it happened. They told me this is 'extremely rare' ..even though there's people who've posted about this exact thing online, even on their support forum(!).
As for dual factor security, the Apple people advised not to do that, because if something like this happened again it would make it too complicated to get back into your phone/account.. so it kind of defeats the purpose.
What I don't get is if this is happening, why does Apple seem to know nothing about it..? Or are they just playing dumb to keep people in the dark about it..?
Was your Apple ID compromised or was your iCloud hacked? Those are two very different things and Apple can't control the first one.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:53 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't believe this. I don't believe the Apple people told you not to do this. Dual factor security is NOT remotely complicated or time consuming.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:06 AM

lycos- apparently the appleID was gotten from somewhere and they guessed the password (which was not an easy or obvious one). Hacked into the iCloud that way. Then the iPad and iPhone. Unbelievable I know. But you have to remember iphones & Apple products are under intense assault from hackers now. So apparently they have all the time in the world and the technology to sit there and figure out passwords. Believe me I wish this all weren't true! But it's happening. And Apple refuses to acknowledge this.. they just want to keep quiet and play dumb because otherwise it would hurt sales. They also don't want to warn users about it because that would ruin the party. Even Apple fans refuse to believe it (unless/until it happens to them).

Peregrine, sorry but it happened and they did say this. They guy at the Apple store just said that exact to me 2 days ago. Someone at their support line said it also. The whole thing seems like an endless rabbit hole of complications that once you get into, it's hard to get out of...

Old 08-29-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
lycos- apparently the appleID was gotten from somewhere and they guessed the password (which was not an easy or obvious one). Hacked into the iCloud that way. Then the iPad and iPhone. Unbelievable I know. But you have to remember iphones & Apple products are under intense assault from hackers now. So apparently they have all the time in the world and the technology to sit there and figure out passwords. Believe me I wish this all weren't true! But it's happening. And Apple refuses to acknowledge this.. they just want to keep quiet and play dumb because otherwise it would hurt sales. They also don't want to warn users about it because that would ruin the party. Even Apple fans refuse to believe it (unless/until it happens to them).

Peregrine, sorry but it happened and they did say this. They guy at the Apple store just said that exact to me 2 days ago. Someone at their support line said it also. The whole thing seems like an endless rabbit hole of complications that once you get into, it's hard to get out of...
That wasn't your iCloud being hacked, that was your Apple ID being compromised. Apple encrypts your iCloud data, so even if your iCloud was hacked, the encryption would have to be broken too.

The two step authentication process basically requires you to know your password and physically possess your iDevice. I don't see how that would make anything more complicated for you, the owner.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:53 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Guessing a password is not Apple or iCloud being hacked. It is something that can happen anywhere and on any service or website. Two factor authentication would have prevented this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones