Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 03:15 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,108,627 times

Advertisements

I'm brand new to Smartphones. I avoided them for years but finally bit the bullet.

I have a Samsung Galaxy J7 SM-700P with Boost Mobile. Yikes, does this come with a lot of apps that I will never use! What's the best way to get rid of them completely and not just disable them?

I kind of know what rooting is but, being so new, I would be nervous to do it because I don't know exactly what it does or removes... other than voiding the warranty.

Any helpful advice or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 04:07 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I'm brand new to Smartphones. I avoided them for years but finally bit the bullet.

I have a Samsung Galaxy J7 SM-700P with Boost Mobile. Yikes, does this come with a lot of apps that I will never use! What's the best way to get rid of them completely and not just disable them?

I kind of know what rooting is but, being so new, I would be nervous to do it because I don't know exactly what it does or removes... other than voiding the warranty.

Any helpful advice or suggestions?
You need root access if you want to uninstall the bloat.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:55 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,108,627 times
Thanks. That's the only part I knew. I just don't know what program works with my Samsung Galaxy J7 SM-700P with Boost Mobile. King root seems to be the best but I need TWRP.

I downloaded TWRP but I can't find where my downloads are on this phone. I've searched everywhere and Googled everything I could think to find it.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:02 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Check out XDA_developers.com.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:04 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Make your next phone an iPhone
No bloat

Old 08-29-2016, 07:06 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Make your next phone an iPhone
No bloat
Or a Nexus, or a Google Play edition phone.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:30 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Go to SETTINGS and click on APPS. Click every app in that list and see if it has an UNINSTALL option. If not, then DISABLE them. Disabling at least prevents them from bugging you for updates or running in the background.

Fact: today is much better then it used to be. Carriers used to not let you uninstall ANY of the apps they put in. Today they let you uninstall quite a few of them, like GAMES.

Very few apps today have no Disable or remove option, but there's a few.

Apple doesn't have bloatware? Really? Maybe not CARRIER bloat...but they sure put enough of their own in there.
How about that WATCH app? Kind of annoying that 90% of the iPhone carrying public can't remove or disable the WATCH ao that they don't use. And why is it just about every iPhone owner has a folder called "MISC" or JUNK" full of apps from Apple that they cannot remove or disable?
BLoat is bloat. Doesn't matter who installed it.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:47 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Go to SETTINGS and click on APPS. Click every app in that list and see if it has an UNINSTALL option. If not, then DISABLE them. Disabling at least prevents them from bugging you for updates or running in the background.

Fact: today is much better then it used to be. Carriers used to not let you uninstall ANY of the apps they put in. Today they let you uninstall quite a few of them, like GAMES.

Very few apps today have no Disable or remove option, but there's a few.

Apple doesn't have bloatware? Really? Maybe not CARRIER bloat...but they sure put enough of their own in there.
How about that WATCH app? Kind of annoying that 90% of the iPhone carrying public can't remove or disable the WATCH ao that they don't use. And why is it just about every iPhone owner has a folder called "MISC" or JUNK" full of apps from Apple that they cannot remove or disable?
BLoat is bloat. Doesn't matter who installed it.
I think the reason it is called bloat is due to how much space it takes up. A 32GB S7 uses 10-12GB of the available memory, but iPhone apps take up maybe 1-2GB.

Ex: On an iPhone these are some of the apps cannot be removed without a jailbrak.

Compass
Settings
Watch
Maps
Calendar
Clock
iTunes Store
Podcasts
App Store
iBooks
Contacts
Calculator
Photos
Camera
Safari
Music

Old 08-29-2016, 11:31 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I installed a custom ROM on my nexus 6 with a barebones version of gapps so I don't even have all the default google apps much less any other apps. It's annoying how apps update more than once a week... if an app updates every day or two, like snapchat did, it gets uninstalled. There's nothing that security pressing that requires 3 times per week app updates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones