U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 12:24 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,866,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'm not that technologically knowledgable. Is prepaid the same as pay-as-you-go?

I'm a Tracfone user for the last 4-5 yrs & I want a new phone badly! I might as well not even have a phone the way it works. I can't mk calls 1/2 of the time, can't get online whe I want, etc. yet I see other people happily yakking away when they're out & about. I very rarely talk & text, but want to go online sometimes to use some apps. I seem to be having to buy something every month too lately, which I don't like. So what's the best PAY-AS-YOU-GO plan for people like me? I don't have to keep TracFone, just as long as I keep my same phone#.

I'd love to have a plan that will let you buy X amount of minutes/text/data & let you use them down as slowly as you want...then I just buy again. Is there anything like that?

I don't really need a new phone every year. Mine now is 4-5 yrs old, so I DO want a new phone soon this time around, but every few yrs of a new phone is fine w/ me & I don't need all the whistles & bells. I'd like the Moto g7 w/ the Pie operating system this time. Any pay-as-you-go plans sell that phone?
There isn't anything that just allows you to sit on your minutes. You'll have to pay a fee to use the minutes from time to time. That is what Tracfone's "your minutes expire after so many days" thing is all about. These companies want something for providing the service. Prepaid you give us the money upfront and you get the service for a month. We cut you off if you don't give us money 30 days from now. You can sit on your data but that's it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 02:32 PM

6,959 posts, read 7,482,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
There isn't anything that just allows you to sit on your minutes. You'll have to pay a fee to use the minutes from time to time. That is what Tracfone's "your minutes expire after so many days" thing is all about. These companies want something for providing the service. Prepaid you give us the money upfront and you get the service for a month. We cut you off if you don't give us money 30 days from now. You can sit on your data but that's it.

Some people buy prepaid cards with say 1000 minutes that are good for a year! I've seen them sold on QVC along with a cheap phone. My brother, one of the planet's biggest cheapskates does this. I always call him on his landline, as we can yack for 2 hours non-stop and his 1000 minute card would be drained very quickly. His company does provide him with a cell phone, but I never call that number.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:47 AM

3,594 posts, read 3,080,658 times
I had Verizon for year, even had a decent discount for US government employees and last year switched to US Mobile and cut my costs and they use Verizon towers. Wherever I have had a signal with Verizon I have a signal with US mobile. And when I decided to switch to a new phone, I just purchased a new factory unlocked version from B&H and it works perfectly on the network (other than the LG does not work right half the time).
US Mobile has one service that runs on Verizon network and another service that I believe runs on T-mobile.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:58 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,434,214 times
Have prepaid Verizon for an LG flip phone. For me, it works very well and is all I require since I just use the phone to make/receive calls and a few text messages.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:11 PM

3,250 posts, read 1,696,390 times
We switched from Verizon contract to prepaid 3 months ago. Absolutely no difference in data rates or call quality or signal. Cost 65 vs 102 for 2 lines and we get 2X as much data.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:23 AM

7,558 posts, read 6,416,443 times
I got grandfathered in at 23 GB of streaming for $55 (auto pay) with Cricket (now it's 8 GB). They made the change a couple of years ago.

I shop around but that deal isn't available anywhere. Mostly it's just to stay informed I'm pretty happy with the service.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:13 PM

5,040 posts, read 7,301,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
I got grandfathered in at 23 GB of streaming for $55 (auto pay) with Cricket (now it's 8 GB). They made the change a couple of years ago.

I shop around but that deal isn't available anywhere. Mostly it's just to stay informed I'm pretty happy with the service.
Can't help with the 23GB .... but Red Pocket offers 10GB for $40/mo ...if you pay for a year at a time, the cost drops to $33.25/mo for 10GB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones