Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 09:37 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You still cannot take a Verizon iPhone and use it on Sprint's network so why does anyone care that it is unlocked or not?!?
Yes you can. Plus, you can take it to AT&T and Sprint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
Interesting, that contradicts what my local Verizon store told us when we inquired a few weeks ago. Maybe we were misinformed, but that's why we bought via Apple online.
Which part? That the phones are sold unlocked or that AppleCare+ is optional?

Old 09-19-2016, 09:55 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Yes you can. Plus, you can take it to AT&T and Sprint.
Oh, that's nice. Finally.

As for Applecare it is only included with the "Apple iPhone Upgrade Program" which is that thing that lets you get a new iPhone every year. It costs extra with every other plan.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Oh, that's nice. Finally.

As for Applecare it is only included with the "Apple iPhone Upgrade Program" which is that thing that lets you get a new iPhone every year. It costs extra with every other plan.
It costs extra with all plans, but is optional on carrier financing and contracts. What Apple's upgrade program does is let you finance the AppleCare+, but everybody else charges you a lump sum.

The upgrade program charges you $32.41 for 24 months vs $27.04 for an installment plan for a basic iPhone 7.

Upgrade program: $777.84 ($649+$129 =$778)
Installment plan: $648.96

Old 09-19-2016, 02:25 PM

I just bought an iPhone 7 from Apple. It is waiting for me to pick it up.
My wife has been waiting for one. Apparently, they are sold out just about every where and my wife was a bit ticked off that she was going to have to wait 2-4 more weeks.
I checked VZW: Sold out.
T-Mobile: sold out.
So I decided to check Apple. Huh?!? There are some Silver 128GB ones available. Not caring what color it is as she uses a wallet case on her phones, I put one in my cart. I chose Verizon and was offered 3 payment plans since my wife is out of contract. 2 monthly options, full price, and 2 yr contract. Contract price was $299. Hmmm.
I called VZW to see what the catch is. She told me she didn't think there was a catch. Go ahead and buy it from them and if there is something fishy, we will fix it. Apple doesn't bill you.
I web chatted Apple. She said "There is no catch... only a $40 one time activation fee. Call us, we can help you easier on the phone".
So I call. I tell this woman the story. She agrees the only catch is the $40 up front. VZW charges $20 at a store and nothing online. So I'm getting a $750 phone for $299 + $40 and no change to my plan? Sweet.
Then she tells me "Sorry, sir, I don't see any available at that store. I see one in Toledo."
What?!?
I go back to Apple.com. I go through the process again. Add the phone. Go to check out and it says: Delivery only. I then notice there are 2 phones in my cart. The first one was still there and it says: Available for Pickup.
Apparently the Apple store took it out of inventory when I added it to my cart and I got one of the last ones.
Very nice.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I just bought an iPhone 7 from Apple. It is waiting for me to pick it up.
My wife has been waiting for one. Apparently, they are sold out just about every where and my wife was a bit ticked off that she was going to have to wait 2-4 more weeks.
I checked VZW: Sold out.
T-Mobile: sold out.
So I decided to check Apple. Huh?!? There are some Silver 128GB ones available. Not caring what color it is as she uses a wallet case on her phones, I put one in my cart. I chose Verizon and was offered 3 payment plans since my wife is out of contract. 2 monthly options, full price, and 2 yr contract. Contract price was $299. Hmmm.
I called VZW to see what the catch is. She told me she didn't think there was a catch. Go ahead and buy it from them and if there is something fishy, we will fix it. Apple doesn't bill you.
I web chatted Apple. She said "There is no catch... only a $40 one time activation fee. Call us, we can help you easier on the phone".
So I call. I tell this woman the story. She agrees the only catch is the $40 up front. VZW charges $20 at a store and nothing online. So I'm getting a $750 phone for $299 + $40 and no change to my plan? Sweet.
Then she tells me "Sorry, sir, I don't see any available at that store. I see one in Toledo."
What?!?
I go back to Apple.com. I go through the process again. Add the phone. Go to check out and it says: Delivery only. I then notice there are 2 phones in my cart. The first one was still there and it says: Available for Pickup.
Apparently the Apple store took it out of inventory when I added it to my cart and I got one of the last ones.
Very nice.
Just as a heads up:

Don't forget that the access fee goes to $40 instead of $20 if you do a contract. So the $450 subsidy costs you $480 over two years, plus the extra $20 to activate/upgrade. If you have an old plan that doesn't charge more for contracts then all of this is irrelevant, but those older plans aren't that common.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:28 AM

Long night...
Got the phone. Took forever to backup and restore to the new phone. Called VZW. Apple had put some sort of odd Nationwide Calling Plan on the account. Called VZW a bunch of times. It was a nightmare. I would not recommend buying an iPhone from Apple to activate on another network if you don't activate it at the store. VZW support was swamped last night. At least wait a week after launch.

Anyway, Apple had set up some type of Nationwide calling plan. There was no monthly connect fee. When I finally got through to someone at VZW, he switched me over to a 'normal' plan and my wife is good to go.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:29 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Cooties.
You can catch them at the AT&T store.
Apple Store is cootie free. At least in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones