Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 05:18 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,514,671 times

Advertisements

So, perhaps most may switch from iPhone to Android but I'm considering the IPhone 7 Plus) from my current Moto X 2014. I'm curious if others have also done the same. My requirements for a new phone is a better camera (which Apple excels in) and battery life (I'm not sure about battery life on the IPhone 7 Plus.) I am concerned about no fast charging available on the IPhone. I'm a medium user on my phone and can easily charge most anytime. I do like the Google os though. Definitely planning on downloading Google maps. Is there anything else to give me pause going from android to iPhone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 05:44 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
So, perhaps most may switch from iPhone to Android but I'm considering the IPhone 7 Plus) from my current Moto X 2014. I'm curious if others have also done the same. My requirements for a new phone is a better camera (which Apple excels in) and battery life (I'm not sure about battery life on the IPhone 7 Plus.) I am concerned about no fast charging available on the IPhone. I'm a medium user on my phone and can easily charge most anytime. I do like the Google os though. Definitely planning on downloading Google maps. Is there anything else to give me pause going from android to iPhone?
You are about to ignite a religious war-Android vs Apple!

The voice of reason says both are good OS and it boils down to personal preference. I guess what really matters is: if you simply want an OS that just works well and do not care about major customizing of your phone Apple is the way to go. If customizing and/or getting a good phone for less money than the price of an iPhone then go Android.

Bottom line; don't overthink this. Go to a phone store and see which phone you like. I have never heard anyone I know regret buying an iPhone or a high end Android. With that said, very few people switch from an iPhone to Android or the other way around.

Last edited by Mr5150; 09-21-2016 at 06:24 PM..

Old 09-21-2016, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the comment. I've never owned an iPhone and have had about 4 android phones. It seems they always slow down after a while no matter how much memory is still available. I'm hoping to get a phone that will go for the long haul.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:40 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,256,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Thanks for the comment. I've never owned an iPhone and have had about 4 android phones. It seems they always slow down after a while no matter how much memory is still available. I'm hoping to get a phone that will go for the long haul.
What is the long haul?

iPhones will also slow down as iOS gets updated, so in 5 years whichever iPhone you have will also be slow unless you stop updating iOS.

It's difficult choosing between Android and iOS, so you have to figure out what is important to you. You can't go wrong with an iPhone if performance is important to you, but if specs, or OS customization are important then you can't go wrong with a flagship Android. There are just small things that Apple doesn't let you do.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:58 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
iPhones will also slow down as iOS gets updated, so in 5 years whichever iPhone you have will also be slow unless you stop updating iOS.
AS if *anyone* keeps a phone for five years.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
I have stubbornly stuck to Android for many years while all the rest of my family has been on Apple, but after the last one, a Motorola Droid Ultra in less than two years was draining after about 4 hours, I looked at the iPhone 6. It took a few weeks to get used to it, but I love it. The batts right now is at 74% and I turned it on at 4:15 this morning and used it all day. The resolution is far better, and it charges fast if I use an iPad charger.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:04 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,388 times
I am on my third iphone (iphone 7) and it works fine. Two of my friends have android phones and they say they will never go back to an iphone. The only reason I didn't switch to an android is because of the current iphone 7 promotion.

I think most cell phones are made to last about 2 years years before something starts going wrong. I had my iphone 6 about 2 years and was unable to play voicemail messages without restarting my phone.

When I first got my iphone 6 (within a week or so) it would get really hot (enough to almost burn your hand). I took it to the Apple store and the guy acted like I had done something to cause the problem. He took it in the back to have the expert check it out. About 15 minutes later he returned saying the phone had a defect and they were going to give me a new phone. No 'I am sorry you had to take time out of your day to return a defective phone'. That sort of turned me off of Apple products but as long as they have good promotions and I don't have any more defective issues I will likely stick with them.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:05 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,256,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
AS if *anyone* keeps a phone for five years.
Well, how would I know? This isn't about "anyone", it's about the OP.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:06 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,780 times
Be prepared to be locked in into the Apple ecosystem. Apple loves to be different and will intentionally break compatibility with non-Apple products.
- Forget about using standard wired headphones with the iPhone 7, the headphone jack is gone.
- Forget about using any of your standard USB phone chargers, Apple uses a proprietary Lighting connector.
- Ran out of space? Too bad, there is no SD card slot to expand your storage.
- Want to share a file via Bluetooth? Forget about it, Apple won't support that, even though my flip phone from 2007 could do it easily.
- Forget about copying files to/from any PC by simply connecting the phone via USB, it has to be done via iTunes and only to a computer that is paired to the phone.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:21 PM

I appreciate all the replies so far. I am really wanting to compare the two os so it's much appreciated. I think 2 years is generally all I've managed from an android and perhaps I should expect the same from using an iPhone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones