U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2017, 02:11 AM

13,538 posts, read 7,237,512 times

Advertisements

As I said here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/49513243-post26.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 02:44 AM

12,445 posts, read 12,425,128 times
Heck, I still have a can and a string.
Teknology makes me afeared.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:46 AM

922 posts, read 332,583 times
No landline for about a year.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:42 AM

502 posts, read 304,847 times
We had a landline for 30 years and the last few years pretty much the only time it rang was for telemarketers We thought we had to have it for our DSL We were also paying for a cell phone. No long distance. We only called long distance after 9 or the weekends. We examined what we were paying for and decided to get internet from a different company and got rid of our landline. Now our cell phone has free long distance and oddly is the same monthly payment with a smart phone and a basic phone with free long distance than it was when we first got the cell phone. I remember landline calls being $1 a minute. Wow they were ripping us off

Old 11-20-2017, 09:47 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,901,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I read somewhere that over half of US households no longer have a landline. We got rid of ours about three years ago. We were paying $50 a month/$600 a year for something we didn't really need. And that $50 a month did not include "long distance" charges, because we always used our cell phones to call out of the area friends, relatives and businesses. We pay $90 a month for our two smartphones and I am quite sure our long distance charge savings well exceeds the $40 "extra" we pay for our smartphone voice, text and data had we only relied on our landline for calling.

I feel there is a false economy with some folk who believe that having a cell phone/smartphone is a waste of money or they boast that they only pay $100 a year for a prepaid service and rely on their landline for all calling.

So why keep a landline?
Smart devices are cheaper. You can get a cheap tablet and use an app for free or at the most pay $11 a month through someone like FreedomPop. Even the outfit I enjoy using will secure a phone number for you, for $30 a year. Not the best situation outside, but if your city has municipal WiFi or you have Boingo or a similar situation it is tenable. Like I see Cox WiFi everywhere I go but I've been too lazy to set up an account with them.

It is a false economy. Those people with the waste of money arguments aren't always educated on just how cheap calling over the Internet, or through a cheap smartphone plan, can be. Like anyone can get a $30 a month plan and save a ton of money over dealing with a landline, and just use WiFi calling to deal with dead zones they run into.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:12 AM

19,159 posts, read 12,255,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Yes I do. Cell coverage blows near my house, and always has, even with a tower not all that far away.
That means you have a bad phone. There’s no reason not to have good reception if you aren’t too far from a tower other than a device with weak reception.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Yes I do. Cell coverage blows near my house, and always has, even with a tower not all that far away.
If you have access to Internet you can get a call anywhere. But if you can see the tower there may be other issues worth looking into.

Plus there are landlines that you can plug into your router. The cable companies offer a similar setup but it is really expensive dealing with them. Something like the Obi may be something of interest to you.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:44 AM

7,259 posts, read 2,868,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Smart devices are cheaper. You can get a cheap tablet and use an app for free or at the most pay $11 a month through someone like FreedomPop. Even the outfit I enjoy using will secure a phone number for you, for $30 a year. Not the best situation outside, but if your city has municipal WiFi or you have Boingo or a similar situation it is tenable. Like I see Cox WiFi everywhere I go but I've been too lazy to set up an account with them.

It is a false economy. Those people with the waste of money arguments aren't always educated on just how cheap calling over the Internet, or through a cheap smartphone plan, can be. Like anyone can get a $30 a month plan and save a ton of money over dealing with a landline, and just use WiFi calling to deal with dead zones they run into.
We pay 7 bucks for our landline which is bundled with our cable and Internet. We have one of those 1000 mnts for 100 for cell service with no data, just calls and text. I can text and FaceTime on my iPad and iPhone and find free wifi in many places I go to or shop. Why do I need to pay $60.00 for cell service and give up our landline?

Old 11-20-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
We pay 7 bucks for our landline which is bundled with our cable and Internet. We have one of those 1000 mnts for 100 for cell service with no data, just calls and text. I can text and FaceTime on my iPad and iPhone and find free wifi in many places I go to or shop. Why do I need to pay $60.00 for cell service and give up our landline?
No one said that you should.

I was on a service paying $13 a month for unlimited talk and text. No data though. It was a Sprint MVNO, but it is out there.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:36 PM

5,746 posts, read 3,610,125 times
I canceled my landline phone a few days ago. I get my internet through the phone line so I only save $13 a month. I was getting a real good deal on the house phone because I've had it for decades but I can't think of a single reason to keep it.
I was disappointed to learn that I would only save $13 but still decided to do it.
It sure is nice to not have robo calls all day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones