U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 06:19 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,911,794 times

Advertisements

Isn't a landline like $10 a month now?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 08:24 AM

13,148 posts, read 15,253,021 times
More like $20-$25. Long distance is free nowadays though.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:43 AM

5,009 posts, read 3,503,974 times
A real land line using copper phone lines? Who knows, I don't know anybody that still has one. As far as a land line using your internet connection, that starts at about $10 a month. Basictalk is $9.99 a month.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:55 AM

502 posts, read 305,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
A real land line using copper phone lines? Who knows, I don't know anybody that still has one. As far as a land line using your internet connection, that starts at about $10 a month. Basictalk is $9.99 a month.
My parents who are in their 80s still have a landline. We got rid of ours years ago because the only calls were from telemarketers. I read that the polls you see taken are from people with landlines, might be why they are so inaccurate anymore.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:11 PM

9,309 posts, read 10,458,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
More like $20-$25. Long distance is free nowadays though.
When we got rid of our copper landline five years ago it was $50 a month, plus 7 cents a minute for long distance. We were using our iPhones for long distance. Then I realized the landline was a waste of money. At $20 or $10 a month it’s still a waste of money for us. We do have good reception at our house.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:31 PM

727 posts, read 111,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982
I remember landline calls being $1 a minute. Wow they were ripping us off
Yea but the quality was mucho better would ya agree??

We have a landline but its thru our cable company..... Calls are dropped all the time..... Its a horrible phone system....I love and miss when we had a reg landline on an actual phone companys network....

Old 07-20-2018, 03:17 PM

1,052 posts, read 387,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I canceled my landline phone a few days ago. I get my internet through the phone line so I only save $13 a month. I was getting a real good deal on the house phone because I've had it for decades but I can't think of a single reason to keep it.
I was disappointed to learn that I would only save $13 but still decided to do it.
It sure is nice to not have robo calls all day long.
My landline was canceled because the state of Ma gave verizon permission to cancel landlines because verizon refused to maintain copperwire lines anymore. This is happening in other states too. Hidden from the consumer until it happens to you. We didnt have a choice. So we got a phone thru internet using comcast because no way in the world was I giving verizon my business and my money. We still get robocalls all day long.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:52 AM

6,145 posts, read 2,702,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthouse View Post
Yea but the quality was mucho better would ya agree??

We have a landline but its thru our cable company..... Calls are dropped all the time..... Its a horrible phone system....I love and miss when we had a reg landline on an actual phone companys network....
Agreed. I still have my original line and really like it. I do not pay for added services and have a discount, so the cost is low (using the cell phone for long-distance). I know if and when I move, I won't likely have this since everything is being switched over to combining with Cable / Internet service and having a different kind of phone.

What some may not know is, if living where there are quakes, the only phone working ultimately would be the older-style landline. (I can imagine the chaos as many will be trying to use cell phones after such). During a recent, lengthy power outage, I could not use the cordless phone either, only the extension phone with a cord to the wall.

So this is the situation we are being placed in.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:10 AM

1,052 posts, read 387,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Agreed. I still have my original line and really like it. I do not pay for added services and have a discount, so the cost is low (using the cell phone for long-distance). I know if and when I move, I won't likely have this since everything is being switched over to combining with Cable / Internet service and having a different kind of phone.

What some may not know is, if living where there are quakes, the only phone working ultimately would be the older-style landline. (I can imagine the chaos as many will be trying to use cell phones after such). During a recent, lengthy power outage, I could not use the cordless phone either, only the extension phone with a cord to the wall.

So this is the situation we are being placed in.
No, this is the situation you will be placed in...
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce...b_9164866.html

Old 07-23-2018, 12:13 AM

6,145 posts, read 2,702,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
No, this is the situation you will be placed in...
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce...b_9164866.html
Yeah, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones