U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2018, 08:32 PM
 
Location: A State of Mind
6,132 posts, read 2,693,854 times
Reputation: 5454

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
And, if I hear correctly, Verizon makes you sign a contract. Right? AT&T does not. But that is neither here nor there. I suppose I can call it a "plain old fashioned telephone". At least the service is. I make local phone calls and receive calls from anywhere. I do not have long distance on it. We have suburbs around here where we have to pay a toll charge. When I need to make a long distance call - which is very, very seldom - I get out my cell phone as there is no charge for those in USA, Canada and a limited list of foreign countries.

That's my landline. The only thing modern about it is that it is cordless. I do not know what VOIP is. Is it like UVerse? I do not have UVerse for two reasons. One, I want it separate from the computer and, two, I do not qualify as I do not have a television. A smile for you: Whenever an AT&T person starts trying to sell me UVerse, I end that with "I do not have a television". One time the AT&T woman reacted with "No television? Whatever do you do with your time?" Bless her heart. :-)

Back to landline, yes, I could get all those extras you ask about but I have no need for them and they do cost extra. My phone service is completely separate from my computer service. Two different companies. And I like it that way.

The basic telephone charge is $28. All the rest is taxes, heaven help us. To be exact (as it varies monthly by a few pennies) last month was $41.55.

I hope I answered everything?
As with you, I still have my AT&T wired, corded landline phone for literally a few dollars (with a discount), having no added features or long distance, using my (inexpensive) cell for if needed, as you do. (I have two cordless phone extensions of my regular phone, which I dislike). The Internet with them is $40.00, which went up this year.

I do not have TV service with them, but another, since they are missing some channels I like and have avoided any "Bundled services" for the cost of, besides having seen others lose all three services at once, since they are all connected. I will do this as long as I can, until moving and possibly trying service that is unavailable here or if some change is otherwise demanded. I really do not want a VoIP connection. I had a neighbor do so when getting all services bundled, who was unaware that she needed to buy a different kind of phone, besides changing her phone number of several years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2018, 09:42 PM
 
4,654 posts, read 1,866,950 times
Reputation: 3751
Nope. Its been years since I last had one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2018, 11:57 PM
 
10,763 posts, read 11,632,907 times
Reputation: 5919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
The basic telephone charge is $28. All the rest is taxes, heaven help us. To be exact (as it varies monthly by a few pennies) last month was $41.55.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
My friend pays for Verizon landline with unlimited phone calls
$65.99 Freedom Essentials +$24.33 taxes fees and surcharges =$90.32 per month
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
As with you, I still have my AT&T wired, corded landline phone for literally a few dollars (with a discount), having no added features or long distance, using my (inexpensive) cell for if needed, as you do. (I have two cordless phone extensions of my regular phone, which I dislike). The Internet with them is $40.00, which went up this year.
In2itive_1 your citing of AT&T bill seems inconsistent. Hazel W pays $41.55 for local service only. My friend pays Verizon $90.32 which includes long distance. You only pay a "few dollars" plus an additional $40 for internet.

Just out of curiosity , I decided to see what Verizon charges for flat rate, unlimited local calls only. You can't order it online, but you have to call the Consumer Sales & Solution Center. But the agent said it is $20 to $25 per month + taxes and fees.


There are countless articles on the web that indicate that Verizon and AT&T are massively overcharging for Plain Old Telephone Service because they want to reduce the customer base to be small enough that they can petition regulators to have it discontinued.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 08-30-2018 at 12:38 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2018, 01:26 AM
 
Location: A State of Mind
6,132 posts, read 2,693,854 times
Reputation: 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
In2itive_1 your citing of AT&T bill seems inconsistent. Hazel W pays $41.55 for local service only. My friend pays Verizon $90.32 which includes long distance. You only pay a "few dollars" plus an additional $40 for internet.

Just out of curiosity , I decided to see what Verizon charges for flat rate, unlimited local calls only. You can't order it online, but you have to call the Consumer Sales & Solution Center. But the agent said it is $20 to $25 per month + taxes and fees.

There are countless articles on the web that indicate that Verizon and AT&T are massively overcharging for Plain Old Telephone Service because they want to reduce the customer base to be small enough that they can petition regulators to have it discontinued.
As I said, I qualify for a discount. I can make unlimited local calls, not toll calls, don't need long-distance, has a clear connection. I am not changing anything until I have to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2018, 02:10 AM
 
3,161 posts, read 3,377,560 times
Reputation: 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
From the phrasing of your response, you seem puzzled. I was just clarifying that I was using a standard industry term,


AT&T uses U-Verse vaguely, a it refers primarily to fiber delivered services, instead of on copper. It doesn't necessarily imply all three, but phone service is usually a minor cost today, and they like people to get it because they are less likely to jump to a competitor if they are afraid of losing a phone number.

When triple play was first installed on Jul 19, 2005
$47.25 Television
$38.00 Phone
$45.00 Internet 10 Mbps
$5.00 Modem Rental
$22.83 Taxes and Fees
$158.08

The Cable company switched from analog to digital TV in 2009 and we had to get cable boxes, and they switched the phone to VOIP in 2011.Today, the internet is much cheapr, and VOIP phone is just taxes and fees, but the television is much more expensive.

$59.99 Television
$29.95 Television Surcharges
$22.00 Television Equipment
$20.00 Internet 50 Mbps
$2.00 Modem Rentsl
$20.56 Taxes and fees ($13.76 phone taxes and fees)
$154.50

Television has become a big waste of money. If you want to know the news, than just go to a website.My family won't give it up.

Or turn on the radio.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2018, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
13,125 posts, read 15,232,322 times
Reputation: 9207
How many radio stations play music you like Hazel? Betting not many.

What are you paying for your landline?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2018, 07:45 AM
 
10,763 posts, read 11,632,907 times
Reputation: 5919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
What are you paying for your landline?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
The basic telephone charge is $28. All the rest is taxes, heaven help us. To be exact (as it varies monthly by a few pennies) last month was $41.55.
She stated that she is paying $41.55 per month which is about what my father pays for the hard copy newspaper. It seems like a lot of money for a device that only makes local calls (as she makes long distance on her cell phone) just as it seems like a lot of money for a newspaper.

But people need to be comfortable in life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2018, 09:10 AM
 
3,161 posts, read 3,377,560 times
Reputation: 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
How many radio stations play music you like Hazel? Betting not many.

What are you paying for your landline?

Q 1) Depends on the mood I am in but mostly our classical station. I think we have only one. Well, one regular one. I think there are some others that you can get with just what you order. They cost $$$$$. We have a cab driver here who has that on his car. Beautifully soothing.


Q 2) Answer above in detail. Round number: $100 a year. The $100 is to buy more minutes which they require once a year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2018, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 879,816 times
Reputation: 1372
Gave up cable and landline years ago. Can't afford em. Got a $84 a year Tracfone. Hardly use it. Use email and the library internet. Saves over a hundred $ a month with no cable and landline. I can't remember, but cable was $70 a month or so?


Very $$ to live nowadays. I can't figure out how people can afford the high rent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 01:11 AM
 
Location: A State of Mind
6,132 posts, read 2,693,854 times
Reputation: 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Gave up cable and landline years ago. Can't afford em. Got a $84 a year Tracfone. Hardly use it. Use email and the library internet. Saves over a hundred $ a month with no cable and landline. I can't remember, but cable was $70 a month or so?


Very $$ to live nowadays. I can't figure out how people can afford the high rent.
They can't. And young people will not be able to move away from home with all the added expenses they are used to having these days, buying pricey iPhones, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top