U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 05:44 AM

3,185 posts, read 3,406,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
They can't. And young people will not be able to move away from home with all the added expenses they are used to having these days, buying pricey iPhones, etc.

You are both quite right. I don't know how they can afford things either but they keep buying them. Smart phones, humongous television screens, Computers that do everything but wash the dishes and have to be constantly upgraded to the latest and greatest. Flashing lighted shoes. Money must be coming from some secret place that we don't know about. There are even jobs that require you to have an expensive smart phone and to stay in touch 24/7. College - if they want to go - is exorbitantly expensive. It all beats me. But I know there is a difference between "need" and "want". Good luck to everybody.

Back to landlines: When the princess phone first came out, ATT was charging $10 a month extra for colored phones. No extra for black phones. The agent asked which I wanted. I asked her if they all send and receive calls. Of course. I'll take black. Now it's whatever color you want.

Well, every generation survives. I suspect this one will also.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 06:11 AM

10,841 posts, read 11,704,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Back to landlines
I agree. Too much ranting and you will lose track of a thread.

Although not everyone is going to pay the same price, there are four sample rates listed.

$65.99 unlimited domestic +$24.33 taxes fees and surcharges =$90.32 per month Plain Old Telephone Service
$28.00 unlimited local +$13.55 taxes fees and surcharges =$41.55 per month Plain Old Telephone Service
$0.00 unlimited domestic +$13.76 taxes and fees VOIP triple play(user responsible for battery backup beyond 3 hrs)
$0.00 unlimited domestic +$0.00 taxes and fees for Google VOIP ($50 for transformer to use regular phones

I think most people feel that paying for unlimited domestic (i.e. across the USA) for POTS is not cost effective. You are better off paying for long distance on cell service.

Hazel is more comfortable with unlimited local POTS as she feels it is more reliable in an emergency situation and against simple human error like not charging the cell phone.

VOIP systems can be as cheap as free, but many do not considered them reliable for emergencies. I should mention that Google Voice is free, but you must have one existing established phone number (can be a cell) as Google does not want to help out drug dealers who would create a new phone number every day if they could. My cable company only charges taxes and fees for VOIP phone system as it creates loyalty in the customer.

A fifth option is a fixed home cellular system, which has the advantage of being relatively cheap compared to POTS.

A sixth option is a system where you recharge your mobile phone at home next to a base system, and while at home you can use phones like a traditional wired system.

Here is a 4 handset system for $79.85 https://www.vtechphones.com/store/pd...D-Call-Waiting

Old 08-31-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I agree. Too much ranting and you will lose track of a thread.

Although not everyone is going to pay the same price, there are four sample rates listed.

$65.99 unlimited domestic +$24.33 taxes fees and surcharges =$90.32 per month Plain Old Telephone Service
$28.00 unlimited local +$13.55 taxes fees and surcharges =$41.55 per month Plain Old Telephone Service
$0.00 unlimited domestic +$13.76 taxes and fees VOIP triple play(user responsible for battery backup beyond 3 hrs)
$0.00 unlimited domestic +$0.00 taxes and fees for Google VOIP ($50 for transformer to use regular phones

I think most people feel that paying for unlimited domestic (i.e. across the USA) for POTS is not cost effective. You are better off paying for long distance on cell service.

Hazel is more comfortable with unlimited local POTS as she feels it is more reliable in an emergency situation and against simple human error like not charging the cell phone.

VOIP systems can be as cheap as free, but many do not considered them reliable for emergencies. I should mention that Google Voice is free, but you must have one existing established phone number (can be a cell) as Google does not want to help out drug dealers who would create a new phone number every day if they could. My cable company only charges taxes and fees for VOIP phone system as it creates loyalty in the customer.

A fifth option is a fixed home cellular system, which has the advantage of being relatively cheap compared to POTS.

A sixth option is a system where you recharge your mobile phone at home next to a base system, and while at home you can use phones like a traditional wired system.

Here is a 4 handset system for $79.85 https://www.vtechphones.com/store/pd...D-Call-Waiting

And ranting is a failure of mine. My apologies. Vtech phone is what I have but a much simpler one. I must go take a look at this 4 handset system. Always good to know what is out there. Thank you.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:31 AM

13,224 posts, read 15,313,563 times
LOL @ Ranting is a failure of yours. We all do it.
There is one NO QUESTION advantage IMO to a Landline telephone system that is corded, not wireless.

YOU ALWAYS KNOW WHERE IT IS!

Man, if I could have back all the minutes I've spent trying to remember where I laid my cell phone down..... haha

Old 08-31-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
LOL @ Ranting is a failure of yours. We all do it.
There is one NO QUESTION advantage IMO to a Landline telephone system that is corded, not wireless.

YOU ALWAYS KNOW WHERE IT IS!

Man, if I could have back all the minutes I've spent trying to remember where I laid my cell phone down..... haha

Well, mine is cordless but the rest still applies. If I don't put it back in the cradle when I am finished, I will soon be at Batteries Plus buying a new battery. Message loud and clear?

You are certainly right about losing the cell phone, though. I have even "lost" mine when charging it. I'll suddenly realize it finished charging long ago and is sitting there with message: Please save energy and disconnect."

Happy Day. Hazel

Old 09-01-2018, 05:24 AM

10,841 posts, read 11,704,256 times
Default AT&T Might Pull The Plug On Landline Service In Illinois

Here's a map of the states where AT&T is the legacy telephone carrier.
https://bigthink.com/stephen-johnson...ine-telephones

There are political ramifications to this discussion as well.In Illinois, only about 10 percent of residents have landlines, and AT&T said that its losing about 5,000 customers per week. AT&T needs approval from the FCC before it can terminate landline services.

The elimination of landline service could also have other adverse effects. Older technologies still being used today by some – fax machines, burglar alarms – were designed for POTS, and "they don't play well with IP-based phone adapters like AT&T's Mobile Premises Services, which allows customers to make calls using ordinary wireline handsets connected to wireless base stations.

I've actually never heard of AT&T's Mobile Premises Services. I don't know if it requires internet.

Quote:
You are certainly right about losing the cell phone, though. I have even "lost" mine when charging it. I'll suddenly realize it finished charging long ago and is sitting there with message: Please save energy and disconnect."
One advantage of the Connect to Cell sets from Vtech (2 handsets for $59.95, 4 handsets for $79.95) is you always recharge your mobile handset near the base since you are using Vtech handsets throughout the home.
2 Handset Connect to Cell™ Phone System with Caller ID/Call Waiting $59.95 If you buy the 2 Handset system, you can buy additional handsets for $20 apiece So if your home is big enough, it is more cost effective to purchase the 4 Handset system upfront.

You can connect your landline to this system as well, so you can answer both your landline and cell calls using the same handset. You can still leave your princess phone attached, but you won't be able to answer cell calls on there.

If in the future, you decide the cell phone connection is enough, you simply cancel your AT&T service and the phones will still work.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 09-01-2018 at 06:11 AM..

Old 09-01-2018, 05:48 AM

I am staring at that map as regards where AT&T is. A very large chunk of that is the old Southwestern Bell which changed its name to AT&T a few years back. Has this new AT&T been buying up other lines? Somewhere in the back of my memory is something about SWB/AT&T and California.

Something else. AT&T (the old SWB) has been laying a lot of new lines in the St Louis area.

I have no idea what either of those are saying about the map. I did know the threat of Illinois losing their AT&T.

The future is always at our door.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:33 AM

253 posts, read 146,673 times
Quote:
Something else. AT&T (the old SWB) has been laying a lot of new lines in the St Louis area.
Probably fiber optic lines, AT&T fiber internet just became available in my neighborhood.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid America Lifer View Post
Probably fiber optic lines, AT&T fiber internet just became available in my neighborhood.

Right. That sounds like it. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:22 PM
KCZ

2,827 posts, read 1,659,916 times
I still have a landline. Cellular service is nearly undetectable here. I have to say that POTS is the most functional of any telecom service that I have. Unless a storm knocks a tree down on a line somewhere, it always works (unlike the power company, gotta have a generator if you want 24/7 electric service here, and the zero to one bar cell service). No issues with rate creep over 15 years (looking at you now, Comcast). No pushing of unwanted upgrades (ditto, Comcast). Never have to train and retrain family and guests how to use it (unlike anything needing a wireless connection). Never have to update software or firmware on its devices. It simply does what it says on the tin without giving me any headaches. I'd be an idiot to get rid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones