U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 12:31 PM

9,308 posts, read 10,446,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
For a cordless landline, yes, but not for a $15 Vtech that one plugs in the wall. If there is no power, one still gets a dial tone on a simple phone like that.

As far as minutes go, I still have the 1000 on my original plan from 2005 and it works for me.

As far as Faxing goes, I do it all the time, such as with the IRS and DAN.

But....to each their own.

Now, one thing I will say, I suppose it can depend on how one views phones. I don't have a smart phone but just a Razr. Given such an approach, I am probably more likely to see uses and needs for land lines......

...........such as, perhaps, greater protection against being intercepted and "wire tapped".
You may want to update your plan as prices have fallen quite a bit in the last 11 years
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 04:01 PM

13,538 posts, read 7,237,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
You may want to update your plan as prices have fallen quite a bit in the last 11 years
Well, WHY?

The old plan, long since without a contract, works great for me.

A,B, and C about not being cell phone brain washed.

A: I'm not a zombie and don't want to be one. The phone is just an instrument, I don't go to pieces if I leave it at home, I am not devastated if it is lost. I don't live in the life of "app". To me, it is not the device to end all devices.

B: For everything this or that company is promoting in this or that app, I am not interested, I do not care. I run my life as I please and the bells & whistles I hear of now do not interest me. Equally, when I hear of this or that hack, I am pretty much invulnerable to it.

C: In the words of Justice Snow (in First Monday in October), "The Telephone has no Constitutional Right to be answered," and not only do I agree with this, but I am pretty much willing not to give it any other right of life.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:09 PM

10,763 posts, read 11,632,907 times
Quote:
As far as minutes go, I still have the 1000 on my original plan from 2005 and it works for me.
Quote:
Well, WHY?
The old plan, long since without a contract, works great for me.
A,B, and C about not being cell phone brain washed.
A: I'm not a zombie and don't want to be one. The phone is just an instrument, I don't go to pieces if I leave it at home, I am not devastated if it is lost. I don't live in the life of "app". To me, it is not the device to end all devices.
My parents had a plans from roughly 2005 that were for
200 minutes of talk only for $29.99 + about $5 in taxes and fees

They never looked at the plans since they were satisfied with the service.

I was able to upgrade with same phones to:
300 minutes of talk or text for $15.00 + $2.55 in taxes and fees

So I got them slightly more service for half the price. I think all Mr5150 was trying to say is you can probably do better for your money, or keep the same service for less money.

There is no need to stand on a soapbox and say how superior is the way you live your life.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:05 PM

2,772 posts, read 1,695,110 times
Another benefit of MagicJack landline is that if you are on the phone, and another call comes in and you choose to ignore the call-waiting notification, MagicJack will play them your previously recorded message, record their message, and e-mail a .WAV file to you with the message of your caller. Cool way to multitask and listen to your incoming messages on your laptop while relatives drone on on the main line!

Also, we turn off our landline answering machine when we travel. That way if anyone calls while we're out, an e-mail with the .WAV file message will be waiting for us when we return to the hotel. Great if you're one to get your business traffic on your landline and your personal calls on your cell.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:05 AM

9,462 posts, read 7,920,502 times
In the house I bought I took out all the landline connections except one and spackled and sanded, and painted over where they use to be. Also old coaxial connections that weren't being used (cable company just went through the subfloor with the cables) The one remaining one I removed and just put a blank outlet panel over where it is. It can be reconnected down the road but I'll likely get rid of that one, too.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:52 PM

16,398 posts, read 18,421,627 times
Yeah, still have a landline for a fax machine.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,365 posts, read 45,535,151 times
Reload this Page Still have a landline?

I live 16 miles rural from a 1m+ metroplex, but... landline is all I got,

No cell
No broadband
No Cable
No DSL
No satellite dishes allowed
No Cell towers allowed

drive to town to get internet

yes I have a landline (except in winter the mice eat it in one of many pedestals between town and home. )

USA infrastructure really is poor. When I live in Thailand / NZ / Europe ... remote places I have very little trouble with signals and connectivity.

In USA I have 3 locations and NONE have High Speed internet or cell service. All are in scenic restricted building areas, so no new service will come.

Kinda stinks while paying $44 / day in property taxes.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:01 PM

10,763 posts, read 11,632,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Kinda stinks while paying $44 / day in property taxes.
Do you have a hundred acres? Can't you get Hughes Net?
https://www.hughesnet.com/

Old 12-17-2016, 04:29 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,747,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, still have a landline for a fax machine.
I receive and send faxes from my computer copier while using my Magic Jack for a landline to accomplish that, so no need for a landline for me.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:34 AM

2,772 posts, read 1,695,110 times
You can also send faxes through MagicJack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones