U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 01:35 PM

5,914 posts, read 5,003,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I read somewhere that over half of US households no longer have a landline. We got rid of ours about three years ago. We were paying $50 a month/$600 a year for something we didn't really need. And that $50 a month did not include "long distance" charges, because we always used our cell phones to call out of the area friends, relatives and businesses. We pay $90 a month for our two smartphones and I am quite sure our long distance charge savings well exceeds the $40 "extra" we pay for our smartphone voice, text and data had we only relied on our landline for calling.

I feel there is a false economy with some folk who believe that having a cell phone/smartphone is a waste of money or they boast that they only pay $100 a year for a prepaid service and rely on their landline for all calling.

So why keep a landline?
Because cell service sucks or is not existent in some areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 04:07 PM

6,512 posts, read 10,277,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Legitimate reason if there is no cell service in your area. I live in an area where the best I have seen is one bar. I bought a cell phone amplifier with yagi antenna and now inside my home I get five bars. If anyone has marginal cell reception an amp might be the solution. They can be expensive but in my case (I use a Sprint modem for my internet) it is worth it.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:41 PM

9,308 posts, read 10,446,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Well, yes, but what about all those folk who have good service, but view the land line as being a Real Phone and the cell as just something to use for travel or car emergencies.

"Over half of households" is way less than the 90-95% of households who have decent or better coverage c

Old 04-06-2017, 07:01 PM

10,763 posts, read 11,632,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I bought a cell phone amplifier with yagi antenna and now inside my home I get five bars. If anyone has marginal cell reception an amp might be the solution. They can be expensive but in my case (I use a Sprint modem for my internet) it is worth it.
My cable company charges $10 for a phone (+$13 in taxes and fees). We also get poor cell service in the home. But at a minimum we will have to pay $40 more for unlimited minutes on two cellular phones. Why switch?

Old 04-07-2017, 06:37 AM

154 posts, read 121,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Legitimate reason if there is no cell service in your area. I live in an area where the best I have seen is one bar. I bought a cell phone amplifier with yagi antenna and now inside my home I get five bars. If anyone has marginal cell reception an amp might be the solution. They can be expensive but in my case (I use a Sprint modem for my internet) it is worth it.
If you have an internet connection and T-Mobile, they'll give you a 4G LTE modem for your house. I think they charge a $25 deposit.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:09 PM

147 posts, read 130,724 times
No need to have a landline if you have the internet. You can have an internet based phone and pay only $0.0198 per minute and $1.95 a month (Callcentric). All you need is a telephone adapter box ( I have a https://goo.gl/oLjw0o), a router and access to the internet.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:23 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,418,737 times
Have not had a land line for 10 years. It's just my wife and I and we have our cellphones with unlimited calling, text and web both lines for $70 no need for land line or voip. I almost dropped ATT internet a year ago because Sonic offered a better price for comparable speed but when I found out they only bundle with phone and internet for $40 but that I would be paying $13 a month for taxes it wasn't really a better deal.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:50 PM

761 posts, read 468,983 times
Because VOIP service is only 24.95 a month unlimited.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:36 AM

10,763 posts, read 11,632,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherborn View Post
No need to have a landline if you have the internet. You can have an internet based phone and pay only $0.0198 per minute and $1.95 a month (Callcentric). All you need is a telephone adapter box ( I have a https://goo.gl/oLjw0o), a router and access to the internet.
Google Voice (GV) is free for all domestic calls. You can also install GV on a battery phone so it becomes mobile.

While such a telephony system is a wonderful backup, it shouldn't be your only system. In the event of a power outage nothing will work. A telephone should also be useful in an emergency. It's not too much to pay if a family member's life is on the line.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:58 PM

915 posts, read 1,053,266 times
Yes, and I've noticed my service charges for phone and Internet has been increasing every three months for the past 3 quarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones