Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:30 AM

201 posts, read 1,004,175 times

Advertisements

Hi, this morning my iphone 5s experienced an unfortunate drowning incident. It sat in the water for probably 5 minutes before I realized what happened. It was powered on and playing music (when the music stopped I soon after realized why ) and after another minute it powered off by itself. I didn't know not to try to power it back in but it didn't matter because it didn't power back on when I tried. Anyway, today I was planning to take it to one of those phone drying service places (Staples has one and they charge $69) to try to get it restored ASAP, but wonder if I would be ok to just let it air out and see what happens? I don't want to go too long if time is of the essence but also don't want to waste money getting it dried out if just waiting a day might be enough and if it doesn't matter if I take it today or wait until tomorrow to see if it dries out on its own.

It actually just powered on by itself after a few hours of being off. I can tell there's water under the screen but otherwise seemed fine. I just powered it off again to be safe, to avoid a short-circuit.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 11:44 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
The worst thing you can do it let it air dry. At a minimum in a baggie with rice. If the $70 doesn't hurt too much, I'd do that. If it's thw system I'm thinking of it really works.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:44 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Do the rice thing first. If this doesn't work it's most likely toast. Time isn't really of the essence at this point. The damage is done or not. The rice thing might help a bit but if not then sorry in advance for your loss.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:33 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Well at least the OP didn't flush the toilet!

Old 03-23-2017, 03:38 PM

6,119 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Maybe it's just been my bad luck, but I've absent mindedly gotten my phone submerged twice (including forgetting it was in a pocket when it endured the washing machine), and tried the rice idea twice.

It worked neither time. Perhaps that's because this happened on an older style phones?

Old 03-23-2017, 07:45 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Well at least the OP didn't flush the toilet!
I dropped mine in the toilet while peeing a few days after I bought it, but the LifeProof case I had over it saved it from damage. I disinfected it, and that's all there was to it.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:34 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Maybe it's just been my bad luck, but I've absent mindedly gotten my phone submerged twice (including forgetting it was in a pocket when it endured the washing machine), and tried the rice idea twice.

It worked neither time. Perhaps that's because this happened on an older style phones?
It's not a guarantee. Some times it works, most times it doesn't. Those new dryer systems they have as was mentioned actually do work. And if it doesn't work YOU DON'T PAY. Probably too late for that at this point.

https://www.tekdry.com/

Old 03-24-2017, 08:02 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post

It's because the phones electronics were damaged. No amount of drying will fix that.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:39 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
In actuality, water does not damage most electronics. It's the corrosion that happens when it stays wet for any period of time. If the device is not used and powered on during the drying process and IF it quickly dries out before corrosion occurs, it may work. The trick is to dry it out before the corrosion happens. So if water get's inside of your phone, you would have to take it completely apart pretty quickly and dry it to save it. This is beyond the capabilities of most people.

http://www.hzo.com/corrosion-water-damage-electronics/

Old 03-24-2017, 01:36 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
^ He's right, water doesn't damage electronics if you let it dry quickly or else moisture trapped will damage circuits slowly. Let it dry over time and it'll be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones