Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 26 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Take the free phone unless this person is one who expects something in return at a later date.
This.

No offense intended for Native Americans, but I always was hesitant to accept anything from an Indian Giver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 10:05 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
Keep in mind that a phone is a TOOL. It is not (for most people) foremost a status symbol.
It should do the things that you want and need it to do.

You should evaluate what your current phone is used for, and what it could do. Then what it can't that the Latest Model could do, for you.
Now toss in the subjective cost of: not having the extra features if you keep your current phone vs. the hassle-factor of getting a new phone and having to learn how to do your existing tasks + new ones on it.

That is your decision tree.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:26 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Here is my little story.

A couple of years ago we visited our son/dtr in law/grandkids in Hawaii. I decided to do an experiment. I left the laptop at home. Also did not bring any reading materials or my Bible. No flashlight, no camera, no GPS or a map of the local area. Just had my smartphone.

Did just fine. Was able to check or send emails, surf the net, post on C-D, watched movies and read on the plane. Able to find the nearest pizza and sushi places and was given turn by turn directions. Found my way around the house at night just fine and took about a 100 pictures, some of which I posted on Facebook or texted to friends. Listened to music. And as a side note, watching a TV show on a 4.7 inch screen a foot from your eyes is the same relative size to your brain as watching a 40" TV across the living room.

Anyway, these days I travel only with my phone. No need for a camera or laptop.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:46 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Keep in mind that a phone is a TOOL. It is not (for most people) foremost a status symbol.
Thank you. I am tired of a few people saying that phones are "status symbols". You know who says that as proven right here? People who don't have them. Phones are NOT status symbols. When 100's of millions of people have them... what "status" exactly is being projected? Ridiculous.

Take the S8. You'd be silly not to even for nothing other then a bigger, brighter and easier to read screen.
High end phones first and foremost have much better looking screens. I know, I know... you look at your low end J series and think "There's nothing wrong with the screen". Use an S8 for two weeks. Then go back to your J. You'll wonder how you ever used the J. It will feel slow and low end.
The S8 looks better, and does EVERYTHING faster I know, I know people like you. It does what you need. Yep. Heard it all before. You're thinking... how much faster do I need my email to open? or my browser? Trust me... instant is better then waiting even for a second on your J.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:43 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,010 times
I see the rationale of just giving it a try. It's a close relative, not an "Indian giver" situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Here is my little story.

A couple of years ago we visited our son/dtr in law/grandkids in Hawaii. I decided to do an experiment. I left the laptop at home. Also did not bring any reading materials or my Bible. No flashlight, no camera, no GPS or a map of the local area. Just had my smartphone.

Did just fine. Was able to check or send emails, surf the net, post on C-D, watched movies and read on the plane. Able to find the nearest pizza and sushi places and was given turn by turn directions. Found my way around the house at night just fine and took about a 100 pictures, some of which I posted on Facebook or texted to friends. Listened to music. And as a side note, watching a TV show on a 4.7 inch screen a foot from your eyes is the same relative size to your brain as watching a 40" TV across the living room.

Anyway, these days I travel only with my phone. No need for a camera or laptop.
To be honest, I only need a full-size computer for my hobbies (art and graphics editing). Everything else is accomplished with a (cheap!) phone or tablet. The past 10 years in consumer electronics have been a rollercoaster.
I only travel with a phone as well, but it means I'm not able to do those specialized tasks while traveling, which isn't necessary for vacation or business trips.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:44 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
You could use a high end phone and run your computer from it over a remote desktop session. LOL

Old 06-01-2017, 01:57 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Apparently, you don't want one.
Problem solved.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:52 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You could use a high end phone and run your computer from it over a remote desktop session. LOL
Don't forget the S8 can do this:

Samsung DeX | Apps - The Official Samsung Galaxy Site

Old 06-01-2017, 03:16 PM

252 posts, read 358,945 times
Take the S8 and get the Samgung VR headgear

Old 06-01-2017, 03:22 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Sweet. I have an S6. I need check & see if I'm eligible for an update.

This S6 takes a decent photo, scans with an app to make pdf, prints to wireless printer. And I have edited documents on it. I use it all the time in archives rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones