Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 05:27 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,185 times

Advertisements

I'm using a cheap but serviceable Galaxy J6. I may change phones to another cheap but serviceable J-series, or another brand.
This weekend, one of my relatives "looked down" on my phone, and offered to buy me a Galaxy S8.

Aside from excess processing power and memory, why would I want one? Smartphones are convenient, but have limited uses compared to, say, a high-end PC. The biggest benefit to owning a Galaxy S-series is Samsung and Apple are kind of status symbols (despite being mostly affordable products).
I'm aware I'm turning down a free phone, but it's really beyond my interest. Should I change my mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 05:32 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Try to put your high-end PC into your pocket. Convenience, and easy access is the answer.

But in general, most of what we do when we're not doing work can be done on a modern phone. And a lot of what we do both now and in the future will only be able to be done from our phones as software companies in certain fields focus less and less on the PC market. Smartphones are cheaper than computers and more convenient because of their portability. And for some people, especially in third-world countries, a smartphone may be the only computer the person owns.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:06 PM

The smartphone could be the most powerful computer in the world, but the screen size and interface limits its potential until it's connected to a screen and keyboard. And personally, I can't think of anything I'd want to do with a smartphone that still has the ability to fit comfortably in my pocket.

I'd like to be proven wrong-- this isn't a debate over the necessity of high-end smartphones (please believe me, I've been wrongly accused on this site of posting "hidden messages" before), I just don't know how I would benefit from owning one.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:17 PM

It has the same potential, lots of people handle the small screen just fine. Fast typers can type over 100 words a minute - that's faster than most people can speak. The bigger screen or a keyboard is just convenience.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:27 PM

My hobby is artwork. Last decade I used traditional mediums, this decade I went digital. That's the main reason why I would need a powerful computer of any kind, and a high-end smartphone simply won't serve those needs until it's connected to a large monitor. In theory-- the art software available for mobile OS's is not satisfactory.

My use of smartphones (email, web, text, video, music, notes) isn't resource intensive for mid-range phones, like the inexpensive Galaxy J-series.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:36 PM

That's why there is no "one phone fits all needs" (or makes everyone happy). Lots of people use a regular PC in addition to a smartphone. You are not going to do your artwork on the go. Professional photographers will not use smartphone to enhance their photos... Specialty professions need specialty equipment, but for a regular Joe smartphone is a powerful gadget.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:51 PM

The topic/my question is whether I should accept a free Galaxy S8, or continue using cheaper phones like Galaxy J. I know other people use phones and computers for different things.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:18 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Probably the only person who can answer your question is you... AFTER you try a high-end phone for awhile.

That's probably why your relative wants to give you one -- so you'll experience the difference for yourself.

I use an iPhone and update to a new one semi-annually. That's pretty much a requirement for my job. The app I must use is updated every few months, and every couple years they tell me I must update the phone to use the latest app -- which, of course, is required. (My batteries don't really last that long, however. I've been using a Morphie battery pack for the last year, even though my phone is always charging when I'm not using it away from the car. (I shoot 500-1,000 photos daily with it, often with the built-in flash.)

Other than using it for my job, I doubt I'd use a high-end phone. I used flip phones as long as I could, a bag phone before that.

Other than wearing out batteries, my iPhones have been reliable. I always have them in some kind of protective cover (Morphie lately) but have dropped them onto concrete countless times without causing damage. But then, I once dropped a Motorola flip phone 3 stories onto concrete without doing any damage to it other than a nice dent.

I simply haven't learned to use my phone's capabilities because I have no interest in it. If you're like me, you probably won't either. On the other hand, if you learn what it'll do, you'll probably appreciate the latest and greatest.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:51 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
The topic/my question is whether I should accept a free Galaxy S8, or continue using cheaper phones like Galaxy J. I know other people use phones and computers for different things.
Take the free phone. Try it.
Keep your current phone so you can revert to it if you don't like the free phone. What do you have to lose?
You may find that the 8 is silky smooth and responsive, but you also may find that it just doesn't matter.
Be sure your kind relative gets the phone with a right to return it after a trial period.

Otherwise, there is no compelling reason to change if you don't feel the need to change.

(I have 3 Windowsphones, and a new Android phone that I am working at transitioning to. I can swap sim cards in minutes and use any of them.)

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 06-01-2017 at 06:13 AM..

Old 06-01-2017, 07:47 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Take the free phone unless this person is one who expects something in return at a later date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones