Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 03:24 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,278,832 times

Advertisements

It's becoming almost a daily occurrence to get one of the following types of calls on my cellphone or landline:
  • Your credit card may have been compromised
  • Your Windows license or auto warranty is expiring
  • The IRS is auditing your tax return
  • A Third and Final Notice for Failure to Appear in Court

I do all I'm supposed to to shield myself and family from this, but it seems to be getting to the point where the calls from scammers will exceed the legitimate calls.

I predict either passcodes for family members or a rise in personal screening services.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:41 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,098,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
It's becoming almost a daily occurrence to get one of the following types of calls on my cellphone or landline:
  • Your credit card may have been compromised
  • Your Windows license or auto warranty is expiring
  • The IRS is auditing your tax return
  • A Third and Final Notice for Failure to Appear in Court

I do all I'm supposed to to shield myself and family from this, but it seems to be getting to the point where the calls from scammers will exceed the legitimate calls.

I predict either passcodes for family members or a rise in personal screening services.
I am in the same boat and I find it incredible that not all nor many of these calls can be effectively blocked. Apparently it is OK for the phone companies to offer you blocking services for a fee, yet at the same time turn off native blocking function that are standard features on some phone equipment.

I have had to settle for copying the numbers I do not want to hear from into "spammer" ids in my phone book and then setting a custom ring tone for these phone book entries. The custom being "no ring and no vibrate."

Unfortunately this does not prevent them from leaving a message. Fortunately, not many do.

From the Verizon website you can block 5 numbers, but only for three months (no real help) or you can pay them about $5 a month to be able to block up to 20 numbers (still not much help AND you are now paying more), but my "block list" in my phone is up to about 50 numbers now. For some reason that I have not yet found, phone companies do not seem to want to be able to help you with this issue - even if they can make money on it.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 06-05-2017 at 03:50 PM..

Old 06-05-2017, 04:10 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,675,765 times
Spam calls on both wired house line and cell phones has become a frequent annoyance.

You would think either state or federal government could be more effective in controlling this problem since they want to become involved with everything else from fertilizer application to income tax management.

Do not call list are less effective than "Keep off the Grass" signs.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:22 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,098,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Spam calls on both wired house line and cell phones has become a frequent annoyance.

You would think either state or federal government could be more effective in controlling this problem since they want to become involved with everything else from fertilizer application to income tax management.

Not only are they no help... now the FCC is contemplating actively trying to make it worse for subscribers...

FCC ruling could allow marketing calls to go straight to your voicemail - CBS News

Old 06-05-2017, 04:26 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,072,561 times
Get a call blocking ap.

I use "should I answer."

Old 06-05-2017, 07:02 PM

296 posts, read 215,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Get a call blocking ap.

I use "should I answer."
I use that app too, works great!

Nomorobo is effective at shutting down problematic callers on landline phones, but it needs to be a VOIP phone service, doesn't work with analog landlines.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:09 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,472,553 times
I too was troubled by weekly spam calls, but not of the phishing nature that OP describes. Mainly Medicare supplement and Home security companies. So I blocked each unknown number on my iPhone that didn't leave a voicemail-very easy to do and then registered Mrs5150's and my number on the federal Do Not Call list. Been over a month since I've had a rob call.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,190,829 times
It used to be that you could just not answer if you didn't recognize the number on caller ID. Now lately we are getting them with a local number, even with the same area code and prefix as ours, somehow faked on the caller ID. That, unfortunately, means blocking is useless. They just call again using a different fake number. One caller that starts off with "you recently stayed at one of our resorts" I have blocked 8 times with different numbers. I found that most robocalls will have a human pickup if you answer and speak, otherwise if you pick up and are silent, nothing happens. So what I do which wastes their time and is at least a bit of fun is pick up, say hello loudly, then when the human starts to speak I will hang up in their ear. Alternatively, I will say hello, and when they start to speak I'll set the phone down and walk away while they are giving their spiel to no one. Last night I had a survey call while a commercial was on TV so I set it next to one of the speakers.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:52 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,278,832 times
The worst are the recent ones where you hear a cheerful recording that sounds live:

"Good afternoon, I'm Jerome! How are you today?"

Old 06-06-2017, 02:30 PM

6,394 posts, read 10,193,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post

Even with strict guidelines/laws/regulations in the US, many of these spammers operate overseas and/or hide or fake their phone #. Not as easy to solve as you might think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones