Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 08:11 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times

Advertisements

Comcast is now offering me a type VOIP that uses its LTE network to deliver phone service to my iPhone for real cheap. Free phone service (no access $$$ for talk and text) for Comcast customers, just pay for data at a reasonable rate. It uses the Verizon network (which is not 100% LTE).

Well, I ask if my phone will work on 3g or 2g situations (something that happens as one travels and in my area which is not 100% LTE.) Sure it does! I say I don't think so. Umm a, let me ask my boss. Boss says nope. Only on LTE areas. Thanks says I. Sticking with Verizon, but it was quite the deal, If you don't mind not have phone coverage on 20% of their network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 12:58 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
I think that it is an incentive to stay with a post-pay subscription to a residential XFINITY Internet service.

There are so many over the top streaming services now, that traditional cable companies are desperate for incentives. Comcast has been giving wireline service essentially for free to inspire loyalty. Now they are giving you talk and text for free to do the same thing.

The big move for millennials is to watch mostly video libraries. They get Hulu for $12, Netflix for $10 and HBO Now for $15. They watch news from a browser, and they can get ESPN for $20 from Sling. If paying for them all at once is too much they can start and stop service on a monthly basis and rotate.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:41 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post

The big move for millennials is to watch mostly video libraries. They get Hulu for $12, Netflix for $10 and HBO Now for $15. They watch news from a browser, and they can get ESPN for $20 from Sling. If paying for them all at once is too much they can start and stop service on a monthly basis and rotate.

It's not just Millennials; we're in our mid 40s and have been doing this for almost 5 years now. Hulu with no commercials and the Showtime add on, Netflix, Amazon (we're Prime subscribers so this is free), and HBO.

For shows that we can't get from those services, we generally buy a season from Amazon (this is one or two shows a year, tops).

For news and weather, we just read whatever sources we want, but yea you could totally watch much of it if you wanted.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Comcast is now offering me a type VOIP that uses its LTE network to deliver phone service to my iPhone for real cheap. Free phone service (no access $$$ for talk and text) for Comcast customers, just pay for data at a reasonable rate. It uses the Verizon network (which is not 100% LTE).

Well, I ask if my phone will work on 3g or 2g situations (something that happens as one travels and in my area which is not 100% LTE.) Sure it does! I say I don't think so. Umm a, let me ask my boss. Boss says nope. Only on LTE areas. Thanks says I. Sticking with Verizon, but it was quite the deal, If you don't mind not have phone coverage on 20% of their network.
Since Comcast is just a Verizon MVNO, and this deal is using Verizon's network, I'd guess that they'll fall back to whatever Verizon is providing to other MVNOs, and that includes 3g. Verizon's LTE map is impressive, but I can't see them not allowing normal 3g / 1x access as well.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Since Comcast is just a Verizon MVNO, and this deal is using Verizon's network, I'd guess that they'll fall back to whatever Verizon is providing to other MVNOs, and that includes 3g. Verizon's LTE map is impressive, but I can't see them not allowing normal 3g / 1x access as well.
As I understand it wireless VIOP only works on LTE, not 3G or 2G. That's why I grilled the sales person when he claimed their system works on all of Verizon.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
As I understand it wireless VIOP only works on LTE, not 3G or 2G. That's why I grilled the sales person when he claimed their system works on all of Verizon.
But this isn't VOIP, it's VoLTE (Voice over LTE). If you have a modern device, you are probably already using VoLTE as a direct Verizon customer (Verizon calls it HD Voice / Advanced Calling).

With VoLTE, the voice packets are sent over LTE as long as there's an LTE signal, if you leave an LTE area, you drop back to the regular voice network.

The only difference between the Xfinity Mobile and any other Verizon MVNO (Straight Talk, etc) is that Xfinity Mobile devices can also connect to the Xfinity network hotspots (public ones in businesses like coffee shops and residential Xfinity customers that have the sharing feature turned on on their modems), and any data on those connections doesn't count towards your data usage.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
But this isn't VOIP, it's VoLTE (Voice over LTE). If you have a modern device, you are probably already using VoLTE as a direct Verizon customer (Verizon calls it HD Voice / Advanced Calling).

With VoLTE, the voice packets are sent over LTE as long as there's an LTE signal, if you leave an LTE area, you drop back to the regular voice network.

The only difference between the Xfinity Mobile and any other Verizon MVNO (Straight Talk, etc) is that Xfinity Mobile devices can also connect to the Xfinity network hotspots (public ones in businesses like coffee shops and residential Xfinity customers that have the sharing feature turned on on their modems), and any data on those connections doesn't count towards your data usage.
OK.. As I am already a Comcast customer, I do have access to the Xfinity wifi hotspot network. This has been a mixed bag. In my rural area there have been times when my phone would latch onto a weak Xfinity wifi signal instead of the robust Verizon data signal, making my phone really slow for things that use data. Often enough that I've told my phone to forget Xfinity wifi.

As a side note, i forget to mention I was told I would have to purchase a new iPhone to use the Comcast phone deal. Software reasons-the software disallows the use of voice on non LTE. Now see that makes sense if their going to offer free voice and text. Start using the regular 3G and 2G for voice and text then Verizon starts charging Comcast. No free lunch.

The monthly cost for two phones works out to $54 a month. Throw in the cost of 3gigs, you're talking $99 a month for two years. We pay $103 with Verizon for their 4gig plan and my wife's 6s payment with my 15% retired govt employee discount. Save $4 a month for less coverage? No thanks.

Last edited by Mr5150; 07-02-2017 at 05:36 PM..

Old 07-02-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
As a side note, i forget to mention I was told I would have to purchase a new iPhone to use the Comcast phone deal. Software reasons-the software disallows the use of voice on non LTE. Now see that makes sense if their going to offer free voice and text. Start using the regular 3G and 2G for voice and text then Verizon starts charging Comcast. No free lunch.
Are you on an iPhone5? Support for VoLTE wasn't included until the iPhone 6, so that could be it.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Are you on an iPhone5? Support for VoLTE wasn't included until the iPhone 6, so that could be it.
iPhone 6 is what I have

The sales guy said I needed to buy one of their special iPhones to have things work.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
iPhone 6 is what I have

The sales guy said I needed to buy one of their special iPhones to have things work.
From a quick search: there's nothing special about their phones, looks like they're just not allowing BYOD at this time.

Lots of reports of people getting the service with the cheapest Android phone they sell, and then moving the SIM to their Verizon iPhone after it's activated.

Short sited of them not to have BYOD options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones