Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 08:39 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times

Advertisements

On Total Wireless if you run out of data you can purchae data only for $10 a gig. Its by far the best company out there and they run on VERIZON towers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 08:50 PM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
All of the mobile carriers are terrible
Are they?
I am quite happy with my T-Mobile service. I am using it continuously since 1999 enjoying many now grandfathered perks not available to new subscribers anymore. They also offer me great plans to use overseas. The coverage is very satisfactory too with no drop calls or bad reception.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:34 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,099,790 times
Happy going the unplugged route and Cricket.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:09 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,413,167 times
Wife and daughters were the 1st ones with cellular phones here at home, back in the early 90's. I came years later...But all along AT&T has been with us and we really do not have problems in that Dept, Never did, hopefully never will.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:29 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripBro View Post
When I brought up my concern with the verizon rep that after our 4g usage was up we would be restricted to 2g speeds, the Verizon rep tells me, oh no, its 3g speeds. I asked this question in 2 different ways, to be sure, and I was told both times that after our 4g speeds were up, we would be reduced to 3g speeds.

What a great deal, I thought, as at the time, all I had were 3g speeds, and they were sufficient for me.

Well, now I see that we're really reduced to 2g speeds, which means the smart aspect of phone is useless unless connected to wifi. My fault. I should have read the terms and conditions, and not taken the person's word for it. I should have known that the guy would lie to me twice to make the sale. I had faith that the guy was telling the truth, and now I pay for it.

But you know, At&t was the same way with me when I used them.

I'll assume the other 2 are probably as bad. In the future, I will shop solely on monthly price. I used a sprint subsidiary before verizon, and verizon's coverage is the same in my area. The coverage map I was shown said full coverage where I work. Guess what, I get 2 bars on a good day, so can't watch a Youtube video on lunch. Can't trust anything or anyone. Smartphones are nice and handy, but sometimes I wonder if its worth it. Just feeling pretty bummed and wanted to vent.
Sorry to hear that you had to find out the hard way.

All of these plans are around $70 a month for unlimited no matter how you look at it. Sprint and T-Mobile will give you 50 GB of high speed data before they bring you down to 2G. AT&T and Verizon will give you 22 GB. When they bring you down to 2G it is only temporary while people that have not used 50 GB get to run as fast as they can. When those people are off of the network it is back to 4G.

Sprint is cheap but I honestly do not recommend them under any circumstances. Not directly, anyway. Maybe through a MVNO like TextNow, Virgin Wireless or Boost Mobile, where expectations are a bit clearer and they're not trying to check your credit or convince you to finance a phone. They want you to go into a store just to get a prepaid phone, even though you pay for it online. If I were going to do that I would just deal with MetroPCS. Coverage is lousy. Too often you go from 5 bars to 1 just by moving 20 feet in the wrong direction.

If you need data just go ahead and pay for it. If you're looking for workarounds, AT&T has WatchTV and DIRECTV NOW which do not use up your data allowance, but, if you are already throttled the service will be throttled as well, so you may end up adding 1 GB here and there to keep the service working well. On postpaid you can get WatchTV for free, on post paid you pay $15 a month. So you're out $50 a month, minimum, on post paid. T-Mobile allows streaming from several video and music services that does not count against your data allowance through their BingeOn program. Sprint doesn't give you much, but you can get free Hulu and TIDAL from them on post paid, but only if you have an unlimited account. That isn't a huge savings, as you can get Hulu as cheap as $5.99 a month if you play your cards right, but it is better than nothing. Actually the TIDAL is the more expensive of the services.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:09 PM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
T-Mobile is okay, but there is one major problem. There are a lot of "SCAM" calls. And they sometimes are able to get through to you again even days or weeks after they have been blocked. You will see the number as having called and left a message, even though it also shows the number as "blocked" which means it's not supposed to be able to call you or leave a message.
I use TrueCaller and don't have that problem. They just list the spam calls, but I don't hear the phone ringing. No SMS spam either.

The problem with spam voicemail is not preventable on Android, no matter who is the vendor.
Blocking voicemails is not available as it requires a "Pick up, hang up" method and the Android system does not allow third-party apps to automatically pick up calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones