Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:02 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Disagree with most of that. Performance when new? Maybe. Everyone likes totalk about how Apple supports iPhones WAY longer then Android does... but iPhones get slow and laggy and after the 2nd or 3rd major update. Security, I'll give you that. # of apps? That gap was closed a long time ago.
Never had such a problem with my iPhone 5s, and the only reason why I replaced it with a 6s was because I forgot it in my pants and had both through a full "clothes-wash cycle."

I have no idea if Apple supports the iPhone longer than other companies, but I have been quite happy with my former 5s, and now the 6s. The thing about apps is that I am pleased with the ones my phone has. The gap between Apple and other apps makes no difference to me as long as I am happy with the ones I got.

I am certain that most of other phone users, regardless of OS, are happy with what they have. I also understand that a lot of people want the latest and greatest, but not the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 08:34 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Well I'm not making it up because I am anti-Apple. It is well known and well documented. You 2 I'm guessing aren't 'power users'... or are just lucky. Did you install 11 on your devices yet??

iOS 10 - Is YOUR iPhone slower after Apple's latest software update? | Tech | Life & Style | Express.co.uk

iPhone slow? Why your new iOS 10-powered phone might feel slow after you upgrade | The Independent

People are complaining that iOS 10 is slowing their iPhones down

Why your iPhone or iPad feels like it's getting slower | ZDNet

Old 09-20-2017, 11:03 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
My wife and I only use text and voice 99.9% of the time. Every update Apple releases makes the iPhone and iPad run slower until all the new features are integrated. iOS 11 is loaded with a bunch of new features, so I assume that it will take a few hours or days. I have noticed the same with OS-X on the Mac. At the beginning it works slower, but within hours the slowness disappears.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:13 PM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times
Quote:
Well I'm not making it up because I am anti-Apple. It is well known and well documented. You 2 I'm guessing aren't 'power users'... or are just lucky. Did you install 11 on your devices yet??
Maybe I've just been lucky with the iPhones - I've never noticed the "slowness" on the iPhone. I'm not a power user of phones at all. I use it mostly for talk, texts, the occasional Facetime, some Siri, some GPS with Google Maps (because Apple Map still sucks). Then when wifi is available, Wifi Analyzer, Speedtest, Viber (text and video calls), Amazon Prime or Netflix, cast to the TV, read some ebooks or web surfing hile waiting for the wife.

Right now, I'm on a brand new budget Android phone, the LG Stylo 3 Plus. Really nice phone for the money. I like it. Still trying to get used to Android 7.0 (Nougat?). I used to have a Moto G too, so not a biggie. (Talk about slowness ... )

To be honest, I miss the iPhone. It seems more intuitive for me. And smoother. I'll give this LG about a month of use. Maybe I won't miss the iPhone much then. Bottom line: the only reason I bought this Android phone was the budget price. For a $100 more, I can get a new iPhone SE - I now realize how much I like that small form factor. Or for another $100 more, maybe even a refurb iPhone 6 or 7. The Plus is not for me.

That said, here are a couple of interesting articles regarding the "speed" of the iPhone:

https://www.wired.com/story/apple-be...artphone-foes/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...ot-quite-slow/

Old 09-22-2017, 06:22 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
One thing that I have to research about the iPhone X is the OLED screen - they can get burn-in; I've seen this with demo Samsung phones (and why my OLED tablet computer from them uses - gasp - a screen saver).

Old 09-26-2017, 04:07 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
My Nexus 6P is coming up on the 2-year mark, whereupon Google will stop updating it.

Android fragmentation has me considering a platform switch. The next Android phone I'm considering (HTC U11) is around $650. I don't want to spend $600+ on an Android phone, only to lose security updates a year later. To me, keeping the OS up to date is worth the extra $$$.
I am still getting security updates on my S5

Old 09-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I am still getting security updates on my S5
Google just announced they're going to provide security patches on my 6P through September 2018.

Google Gives Nexus 6P and 5X Owners Two Extra Months of Security Patches | Droid Life

Apple would give me 2 years beyond that.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:06 PM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Google just announced they're going to provide security patches on my 6P through September 2018.

Google Gives Nexus 6P and 5X Owners Two Extra Months of Security Patches | Droid Life

Apple would give me 2 years beyond that.
You might have lucked out that your Nexus 6P didn't get that bootloop problem some Nexus 5X and 6Ps have had. I know there's now a fix for it, but such a pain to even have to do it:
https://www.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p-bootloop-fix/

Old 09-28-2017, 10:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
My wife and I only use text and voice 99.9% of the time. Every update Apple releases makes the iPhone and iPad run slower until all the new features are integrated. iOS 11 is loaded with a bunch of new features, so I assume that it will take a few hours or days. I have noticed the same with OS-X on the Mac. At the beginning it works slower, but within hours the slowness disappears.
I've been running 11 since the first dev beta. It had bugs, but nothing prohibitive.

No slowdown. I am running it on a 7 plus, though.

I'm on the 11.1 beta at the moment. Let's just say you have to be okay with betas for this one.

LOL.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:25 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
So....I know my son was waiting for the Iphone 8+. Little did he know Iphone would be dropping their tenth year anniversary Iphone X. Of course, that phone is bigger and better than the new Iphone 8 and 8+.

Who is going to wait for November to buy the $1,000 Iphone X? I'm hear to say, I won't be as I just got an Android in March.

Decisions, decisions...........LOL.
At the risk of asking an obvious question... why didn't he know?

It's been 10 years since the first iPhone and the rumors about the X have been circulating all over the internet for MONTHS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones