Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 08:00 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If you want, we can accommodate you and start one up.
But... it sounds like work.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:05 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,903 times
I could care or less what phone you use. Get over it. You want some entertainment? Go to a retail store and talk to sales rep, they are all ears and all mouths for you. Wrong place for your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 10:32 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Has to be one at least twice a year. Hmmm.. how come no one ever starts a thread to bash Android?
Or Windows / Microsoft ... Haven't seen one of those in a while .

Old 10-10-2017, 11:06 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Oh, naw... I expect Android folks to Apple bash. Been going on for years now.

In reality, I hope none of them jump on the X. That thing is going to be hard to get at launch and I'm preordering.
All screen, and for god sakes hope smart ones get a case. Can you imagine the cost to replace the screen, since its AMOLE, be digitizer as well.

Just cant get over the sales tactics and the people thinks its new..

Hate using samsung for the example, but even they was little late to the gun, when windows phones were common.

Wireless charging, NFC were on windows phones prior to samsung adopting it in the s6 series. My nokia 9xxx windows 8 phone had both and i use it for a back up if needed. Just doesnt get LTE.. thats the downside. I guess some want simplicy, and others want "instant access" and customization .

Old 10-10-2017, 11:20 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Or Windows / Microsoft ... Haven't seen one of those in a while .
Yea i had a few phones from them, not really bad phones. had the HD7 and Nokia9xx ATT.. I still have the nokia as a backup phone, just it takes awesome pictures! If they would just push it and put in on nice phones models, it might survive. If BB can make it, WM should.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:50 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Pfft. I had a Motorola Q.

I'm old.,..

Old 10-10-2017, 03:00 PM

715 posts, read 1,149,337 times
Quote:

I'm old.,..
I just remembered something about that Motorola Q. Had to look for that quote.

Back in 2007, the year the iPhone was introduced, Steve Ballmer, former CEO of Microsoft said:

"You can get a Motorola Q for $99. [...] [Apple] will have the most expensive phone, by far, in the marketplace. There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance!"

More from the same article:

"The vast majority of smartphones back in 2007 had hardware keyboards and, if they touch screens at all, those screens were almost all resistive and came with a stylus pen to aid in usability. Mobile apps were inconsistent and the mobile web was pretty much limited to WAP browsers.

While the iPhone certainly wasn't universally adored, the entrenched incumbents in the smartphone space were some of its harshest critics. That was, after all, their jobs."

Ed Coligan, former CEO of Palm:

"We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone. PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in."

Mike Lazaridis, former CEO of RIM (now BlackBerry):

"Talk -- all I'm [hearing] is talk about [the iPhone's chances in Enterprise]. I think it's important that we put this thing in perspective. [...] Apple's design-centric approach [will] ultimately limit its appeal by sacrificing needed enterprise functionality. I think over-focus on one blinds you to the value of the other. [...] Apple's approach produced devices that inevitably sacrificed advanced features for aesthetics."

It was a very different world in 2007. Phone were just beginning to hit usable data speeds but bandwidth was still limited and expensive. The appeal of smartphones was also limited primarily to early adopters and enterprise, and hadn't yet approached mainstream adoption.

Palm and BlackBerry were both wrong. Smartphones would give way to pocket computers and "PC guys"—if they worked for Apple—were absolutely the ones to figure it out. And for consumers, the interface is the feature, so by tackling interface Apple was beginning to make those pocket computers accessible to everyone.

Microsoft, however, was at least half right. The iPhone was too expensive. That was, however, something Apple could and would change.

Google, an original iPhone launch partner, was both more perceptive, and more agile. They'd already bought Danger, the next generation phone platform created by Sidekick mastermind — and former Apple employee — Andy Rubin. They'd originally focused on making a Windows Mobile/BlackBerry-style competitor, determined to make sure Microsoft could never dominate the market and cut them out of the mobile future they so clearly recognized would be the next big thing.

Google's then-CEO, Eric Schmidt was on Apple's Board of Director's—and on stage for the iPhone event. He hadn't told Rubin what Apple was doing, however, or that Google would be giving the iPhone Maps and YouTube. Rubin was shocked. Collectively they realized Microsoft might not dominate mobile at all. Apple might. So, much to their credit, they spun around and refocused Android at the iPhone.

History repeating itself - Kind of eerie that Google was a partner of Apple in the early smart phone days, fighting off the dominance of Microsoft. Much like Microsoft was a partner of Apple in the early PC days, fighting off the dominance of IBM in computers. And they both screwed Apple to get in on the business.

More on this article here: https://www.imore.com/history-iphone-original

Old 10-10-2017, 08:48 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Quote:

I'm old.,..
LOL ... My first "smart" phone was an iPAQ Phone.

After that I had a couple of other Windows Mobile phones before iOS / Android came around.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:23 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:

I'm old.,..

Pfft. I had a BAG phone.

I'm older. (Like being older than dirt is now cool.)

Incidentally, I sold that bag phone on eBay probably 20 years ago. I think I got about $25 for it and thought I'd found gold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones